+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

That was fun! Thanks! Where would you travel to by train if you had a week?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That was fun! Thanks! Where would you travel to by train if you had a week?
    I don't know if you are looking for day trips or more.

Me ... I'd go for the cheese ... Amsterdam Travel Tips from Rail Europe

It's only a couple of hours to Paris ... but I do like the idea of those overnight trains.

What fun for you.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

It will be fun. Since we're using her flight benefits, we'll be flying standby with a good chance at first class. But if we miss a flight? No problems. No itinerary, staying in hostels, no deadlines - we're aiming to be back a day or two before she has to go back to work so she can show me around Minneapolis and so there's no pressure. I'm on summer vacation. The only question is...Germany? Austria? France? Switzerland?
    Count your blessings!

OMG. What choices to make. Have you ever been to any of those places? I have been to Paris and it was lovely. I don't regret it, but I didn't have enough time to really see everything up close. I would take at least 3 days in Paris.

Have you been to England? IF not, that would be tops on my list. I LOVED England and every minute of my 10 day stay. I went all over including up north to the country area and small villages by train. I think you could get there by rail.

I traveled by rail from London to Paris. It was a short trip and very nice.

I think I would love to see Switzerland and Germany too. Is it likely you'll get this chance again? If not, I would try to see as much as possible by using the online travel guide recommendations. I didn't think I would enjoy the Tower of London (Crowned Jewels) or Windsor Castle that much, BUT boy was I wrong. They were my top two favorites and I would have missed them if I didn't listen to some smart travel guides.

Here's a link that might help.
    Map of Europe & Learn About Travel in Europe - Rail Europe

Just so you aren't staying over 90 days, you should be okay on your US passport. I would double check to make sure you're okay on that AND I might check with a travel agent to see what recommendations they might have. Having no agenda might be fun, but if you can't see the places you want because the lines are so long, you might wish you had gotten advance tickets.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-18-2013 at 09:29 AM.

We just have a little under a week. We want to spend a little time in Amsterdam, then maybe Belgium. I've been to England, France, and Italy. My daughter is a pilot. She's always trying to get me to use my flight benefits, but then out of the other side of her mouth she tells horror stories of not making stand-by flights (which is what you fly on benefits). I really need to learn the whole flight benefit process and try to do it on my own within the states first. But she's been wanting to do this with me. I'm sure we'll have the chance again. I don't want to try to do too much or spend a lot of time in museums. I'm more interested in trying local cuisine, and just walking around seeing the sights.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Then I would just have fun and take in as much as possible. I would go to the Anne Frank house, though, but that's just me. I read her diary as a child and it has always held a special place in my heart.
    Kip and AZChristian like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Gutmutter. I've never been there but my son has and he took a trip to Berlin for a few days and absolutely loved it. In fact, he said he could see himself living there one day. So, something to consider. Honestly, I don't think you can make a wrong choice, wherever you may go.

That's how I feel - I keep trying to get my daughter to choose where SHE wants to go and I'll just enjoy trailing in her wake.
    Count your blessings!

Amsterdam is such a lovely city! They say it's very easy to get around too. I know you two will just have the best time, regardless of the sights.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    We just have a little under a week. We want to spend a little time in Amsterdam, then maybe Belgium. I've been to England, France, and Italy. My daughter is a pilot. She's always trying to get me to use my flight benefits, but then out of the other side of her mouth she tells horror stories of not making stand-by flights (which is what you fly on benefits). I really need to learn the whole flight benefit process and try to do it on my own within the states first. But she's been wanting to do this with me. I'm sure we'll have the chance again. I don't want to try to do too much or spend a lot of time in museums. I'm more interested in trying local cuisine, and just walking around seeing the sights.
    The mother of one of my DILs works for an airline, so she and my son sometimes fly standby on the mother's family passes. The system is based on one's ranking. Employees have a higher rank than family members; a pilot would have a higher rank than a flight attendent; etc. You can log on and see where you would be in the queue for various flights. So up until the time they need to leave for the airport, they're online checking how many people are ahead of them.

Most of the time it works out pretty well if you can fly at less popular times. The other thing is to go for a flight that has several flights available after it, so if you don't get on the first one, you hopefully don't have to wait more than a couple of hours for the next one. Onc emy DIL's sister couldn't get out of an overseas destination for a week. And once, when my son came home for a funeral from the Philippines (where he was working for a year), to get back, he had to fly from San Francisco to Chicago to the Philippines. But you can't beat the price!

Edited to add: I'm sure you'll have a great time whereever you go. Play it by ear. If you're having a great time in Amsterdam and there's more you want to see there, stay there. If you feel like moving on, go for it.

+ Reply to Thread