+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6151Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Debb, ... For me it would be a small camera, a photo Album or frame and postage stamps.

Portable, she can keep it and she can send friends and family "hard" copies of a wedding picture.
    Last edited by echo226; 07-17-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Funny you mention the shower situation, because my friend and neighbor had a similar situation and was concerned because we pay for water and it really shot up. You say they pay for their food, but however they are cooking it is an additional cost.

I like the piano idea. If they can be so rude with the shower ... maybe you can let her use yours for a short while ... and she can just shut off her HOT water.
    Perhaps she just has to be honest and sit granddaughter down and write down some agreed upon house rules. I also think she needs to give her the date she expects her and the BF and family to leave. Enough is enough.
    She really has a soft spot for the kids, even though they have a lot of issues. She would never turn the hot water off from them. I've suggested the end date concept to her but she would never enforce it if they hadn't found an apartment. I think, legally, you can't do that anyway when kids are involved. Moot point since she wouldn't put the kids out on the street. From what she tells me they're being a little picky about the apartment situation, but I'm going to start getting the newspaper from the area where they're looking and circle the apartments and then slip it to her. I think she said they're only looking on Craigslist.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You can't be a doormat unless you lay down and allow people to walk on you and wipe their feet on you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    She really has a soft spot for the kids, even though they have a lot of issues. She would never turn the hot water off from them. I've suggested the end date concept to her but she would never enforce it if they hadn't found an apartment. I think, legally, you can't do that anyway when kids are involved. Moot point since she wouldn't put the kids out on the street. From what she tells me they're being a little picky about the apartment situation, but I'm going to start getting the newspaper from the area where they're looking and circle the apartments and then slip it to her. I think she said they're only looking on Craigslist.
    Believe it or not ... I get it.

Perhaps the sit down with Granddaughter regarding "house rules" regarding use of shower & bathroom, children on the roof, etc.. Various chore sharing, and picking up after themselves and care of things that belong to her is the answer.

It doesn't sound like the house guests realize that is what they are ... her guests.

I stayed with a neighbor after my house fire, and one thing to learn is as a guest, you cannot change the homeowner's lifestyle and habits.
    My benefactor neighbor is extremely frugal .. cheap. He had a 3 light ceiling fan in his kitchen and lived happily with 2 of the bulbs unscrewed. Same thing with the bathroom vanity lights. There were 6 bulbs, but he unscrewed all but 2. I left one day and neglected to unscrew the same bulbs, and came back to find them all gone! It was also in January and he kept the temp down way below MY comfort level. Yes .... I paid him.

Sorry for the tangent, but your neighbor is kindly, but really must let them know she is being inconvenienced.

I say sitting and discussing with her Granddaughter ...may help. What irks me most is the eye rolling and edge of disrespect of Grandma. These kids need to learn a little please and thank you ... and be told how fortunate they are to have this nice lady treating them like they are her own great-grandchildren!

Mohandas Gandhi

A lot of times, this is just what happens when you let the buzzards in. She should also keep an eye on her phone bill, too;
    I've learned that they tend to help themselves to your long-distance service, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I understand the problem all too well. Last summer I posted my concern about certain family and friends imposing on my parents time, energy, food, etc. It really bothered me. I spoke with my mom about it eventually, but she is all for it. She must get something out of it. So, I stepped aside. I don't say one word about it anymore and let the consequences fall where they may. I'm done.

You are smart. Granny also needs to understand and accept that if she sits down and lays out a "when you are leaving" limit, it will be Granny's limit and not necessarily the moochers limits, even if they do give her lip service and agree to what she says.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You are smart. Granny also needs to understand and accept that if she sits down and lays out a "when you are leaving" limit, it will be Granny's limit and not necessarily the moochers limits, even if they do give her lip service and agree to what she says.
    I think it should be a list of "house rules" and understood by all and posted for the house guests to see.

Gutmutter ... Please give your neighbor a hug from me. She is very lucky that I don't live next door. Either I would be (VERY inappropriately) interfering ... sticking my nose where it doesn't belong ... or I would start turning "caregiver" for Granny in some way.

I tend to get more deeply involved than I should. If I dedicated my energy to my own things ... my house would be cleaner!
    AZChristian likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

It's like you're reading my mind, echo226. After coming here to use the bathroom and coming here to cry after the roof incident, I've asked her over twice more for a glass of wine and took her to a funny movie yesterday to get out of the heat. When I leave for another vacation next week, she will be feeding the cats. So of course, she needs to come every day to get them used to her (she LOVES cats and hers died this past spring).
    Speaking of vacation... my daughter and I are going to Amsterdam, but plan to travel by train once we're there... but no plan yet of where to go. Looking at a map, Amsterdam is pretty central. Where to go? Recommendations?
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Amsterdam! Oh my! That's exciting. What a fun trip.

I found this video on things to do in Amsterdam. It looks very good and give some great tips. If you want to see the Van Gogh museum or Anne Frank house, you may want to purchase tickets in advance due to the lines. It gives some nice gems you wouldn't want to miss. It's beautiful. There are some free ferry rides and great places like the oldest house in Amsterdam and the Heineken plant.

10 best places to see in Amsterdam - A city's travel guide - YouTube
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-17-2013 at 06:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread