+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9817Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh, I know. I like them too. I've been getting myself some other things lately, so I'm waiting on the platter for myself.

This girl is super nice and I feel like she's sort of a loner. She does extra things to help me out all the time and she's pleasant about it. She seems very appreciative for the smallest things.

I'm going to think it over a little more and talk to her again and see if I can get a better idea of where she's at with her marriage.
    I think it's lovely that you want to give her something so that the wedding can have a memento. I was thinking very practically when I said gift card, but having something special like that means so much, I agree. When my husband and I got married, we were just out of university (young!) and dirt-poor, and I got a few things like that. They made me feel special at the time, to have something so pretty (and something I'd NEVER buy for myself) So yeah, sometimes someone else has to buy that something special for you, or you'll never do it!

I did just want to put this out there... in case you intend for it to be used for cooking (it can go in the oven):

"Very soft metal. Extreme chemical reaction between food and pan. "All Vegetables cooked in Aluminum produce hydroxide poison which neutralizes digestive juices, producing stomach and gastrointestinal trouble, such as stomach ulcers and colitis." Dr. A. McGuigan's Report on Findings for the Federal Trade Comm. In Docet Case No. 540 Washington, D.C. Note: The sale of aluminum cookware is prohibited in Germany, France, Belgium, Gr. Britain Switzerland, Hungary and Brazil."
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I did just want to put this out there... in case you intend for it to be used for cooking (it can go in the oven):

"Very soft metal. Extreme chemical reaction between food and pan. "All Vegetables cooked in Aluminum produce hydroxide poison which neutralizes digestive juices, producing stomach and gastrointestinal trouble, such as stomach ulcers and colitis." Dr. A. McGuigan's Report on Findings for the Federal Trade Comm. In Docet Case No. 540 Washington, D.C. Note: The sale of aluminum cookware is prohibited in Germany, France, Belgium, Gr. Britain Switzerland, Hungary and Brazil."
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked into the details. This is good to know. I may go another direction.

I have two items of those Wilton Armetale serveware. I have a shallow bowl and the round platter with squiggly designs that is shown at the top of the photo on the Macy's link. I use them exclusively as serveware for cold or room temp items. When you handle them and see them up close you can tell it's a softer metal and I would not cook or heat up items on them at all. I like them better for cold items anyway because you can put the platter in the fridge or freezer and then it will keep the food you are serving cool.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I have a question for everyone. For all I know, this may be common knowledge and I'm just clueless.

In our home we have a separate tap for filtered water, with an under counter filter. When I pour a glass of water from this filter and look at it, it is perfectly clear. However if I then add ice cubes that I made in plastic trays from the same filtered water, it looks like there are little bits of material floating in my water. What the heck is going on?? I even bought new ice cube trays the other day thinking that I might have hard water residue built up in the old ones, but the exact same thing happens.

Can anyone here enlighten me???

It's probably tiny flakes of plastic from the ice cube trays.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's probably tiny flakes of plastic from the ice cube trays.
    Is that typical? It seems like if it is then the same thing would be happening to many MANY people who use plastic ice cube trays. It just seems crazy that people might be regularly drinking ice cube tray plastic!!

If it is plastic then it must be very thin. The stuff looks white, but almost fuzzy. It's not solid bits like you would feel it if you drank it or even if you felt around in the glass. It looks a bit like I would imagine really tiny pieces of kleenex would looks shredded up and dropped in a glass.

ETA: I did some searching on this before, but I tried some different terms this time and found a reasonable answer which I found at multiple sources. The quote here is from the first link below. I'm going to try the suggestions for verification and see what happens!
    Tap water contains many different dissolved substances (metal ions such as calcium, nonmetal ions such as fluorides, organic substances, etc). Some of these substances can only remain dissolved in water at certain concentrations. When this maximum concentration is exceeded, the substances will precipitate out of the water.

When water is gently frozen (not stirred or otherwise disturbed) much of the water will freeze without incorporating these substances in the crystal form of water. As such the concentrations of these substances will steadily increase as the water solidifies - the substances only being able to remain in the still liquid form of water. At a certain point, when much of the water has solidified, the solubility limit of the particular substance is exceeded and the substance precipitates out.

When the water melts again, the substances may not go back into solution fast enough - sometimes agitation is necessary for the substance to redissolve, sometimes heat is needed. So the precipitated substances remain for you to see.

You can verify this by (a) rinsing the ice cube with warm water before allowing it to melt (most of the whitish substance will be on the surface of the ice cube) - in this case you will see less of the substance when the ice melts, (b) continuously agitate the ice-water as it melts - this will allow the substances to redissolve and you should see much less of the substance when the water is fully melted, (c) heat the ice-water (but do not boil, as the steam escapes and you will end up with a concentrated solution anyway) - again the heating (and stirring) will allow the substance to redissolve, and you should, again, see less of the precipitated substance.
    Particles in Water After Freezing
    White floating objects in cold tap water - Ask Me Help Desk
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I found a discussion about this problem. Does your water filter system also include a water softener? Do you clean it out from time to time or change the filter? Maybe something in this answer can help you.

Q: Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water? - Yahoo! Answers
    I have a PuR water filter on my faucet and change the filter every 30 days. When I make ice cubes they look normal, but when I put them into a class of water they start to shed little white flakes. What are they and how can I prevent them?

A: a PuR faucet filter is not designed to take out the hardness in the water which is resulting in the "white flakes" you speak of which are minerals like calcium, potasium, "rocks" in general. You will be most happy with an R.O. under-sink filter system for all your drinking and cooking water needs. Of course to really do it right, a so called "whole-house" system will include a water softner before the reverse osmosis filter system for your "working water," washing clothes" (without nearly as much detergent), "washing your hair and body in the shower," with a dime-size spot of shampoo and just a little bar soap, and you will feel silky clean because of no minerals sticking to your skin or hair, and I forgot to mention that you won't need a softner in your laundry because you wash water will already be 100 percent soft. After you get your water softner, try washing one half of a mirror with just plain soft water, and the other half with Windex or your favorite blue window cleaner. Then run your fingers lightly over the two surfaces and see which one is smoother. No "rocks" (minerals) on the soft water washed side of the miirror. Find the worst spot you haven't been able to get out of your carpet with any commercial cleaner. Take a washcloth, rinsed in the soft water first, and a little bar soap if you want, and go after that spot. You will see it disappear because there are no minerals in that water to adhere to the dirt in the spot that will otherwise keep it there. I could go on and on with examples, but by now you should see that since so much of your life depends on using water for drinking, washing, cleaning, etc., etc., you can't really depend on a PuR sink water filter to satisfy all your needs. If I were you, I would start out one Saturday and visit three stores that sell soft water systems and the Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) that you need. Like Sears, Lowes, Builders Square, whatever, and make your choice. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars, probably not more than $300 or so, and you'll be set for years to come. You will need to plan on buying sodium chloride (ordinary salt pellets) or potasium chloride if you orefer not to use sodium) in 40 pound bags to clean out your softner automatically on a weekly basis. And you will need to change the filters in your R.O from time to time. Mark you calendar and stick to that schedule. The main filter should last you around five years, the other one or two will need changing every six months or so. Oh yes, your ice cubes will be crystal clear just like the 20 pound bags of commercial ice you have purchased (they use an R.O. to get it that way). Enjoy!
    Current Pools: Masterchef 6
    Upcoming Pools: So You Think You Can Dance 12 (June 1), Big Brother 17 , Face Off 9 (July 28), America's Got Talent 10
    Pool Participants: Get your reality show report card here!
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Thanks pikachu!

Our house does have a water softener, they are practically a requirement in this region. I considered a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system when we put in our under counter filter, but decided against it because I read in many places that since these systems remove ALL minerals that you can actually lose out on some beneficial minerals and the water can taste a little odd when you are used to the flavor of water with minerals. I'll definitely keep this factor in mind though if we eventually replace our current system!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    They're already paying for any increase in electricity and providing their own food. But I don't think she's charging them "rent" because she wants them to have the $$$ to get an apartment. The granddaughter is paying a lot of his legal fees which also steams me because she was trying to save $$$ to go back to college. She was a student of mine back in the day. Gloria had to come to my house to use the bathroom a couple of weeks ago because the boyfriend and two kids were taking showers/baths back-to-back (in the morning) without giving her a chance to go in between. I would have spoken up, but she's very meek and I think he's something of a bully.
    Funny you mention the shower situation, because my friend and neighbor had a similar situation and was concerned because we pay for water and it really shot up. You say they pay for their food, but however they are cooking it is an additional cost.

I like the piano idea. If they can be so rude with the shower ... maybe you can let her use yours for a short while ... and she can just shut off her HOT water.
    Perhaps she just has to be honest and sit granddaughter down and write down some agreed upon house rules. I also think she needs to give her the date she expects her and the BF and family to leave. Enough is enough.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread