+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5781Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I would appreciate any suggestions on this matter. The receptionist in our office is getting married today. She's 23 and and her first marriage. Her husband is in the military basic training right now out of state. They were going to the courthouse to get married in the town he is training. They are not having any ceremony or reception. She has no idea when they will actually live together and she has nothing to set up a house. She currently lives with a family member. She does have a little storage room as her aunt's house is quite large.
    She isn't registered anywhere either. She moved here from her home state to live with family and to work at out office and doesn't have any friends that I am aware of.

I wanted to get her a gift. What kind of things would be appropriate? I thought something she could keep and remember would be nice, since she didn't have a wedding, but also something she could actually use. Since she will likely be traveling, I wanted to avoid anything breakable.

Any thoughts?

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

A nice picture frame, if you want to give something she could keep and remember, or . . .

My favorite gift to give and receive these days is an amazon.com gift card. They are linked to so many other websites, and you can get whatever you want/need. I don't think they expire, so when she does get to set up housekeeping, it could come in handy. Or since they're not having a reception, maybe a gift card to a nice local restaurant (although that doesn't fall into the "keepsake" definition).

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Our son and his first wife came to stay with us "temporarily" when they got out of the service, while awaiting the birth of their child. They seemed to be showing no signs of getting gainful employment, and we were footing all the bills. It was stressful as we are tidy and they were NOT.

Just to give myself something to do to distract myself from the stress, I started a long-given-up hobby of playing the piano, including taking lessons (which required a great deal of practice in the evenings). I would have to play loud to drown out the sound of the TV (which they were constantly watching), and they would turn up the TV so they could try it to hear it over the piano. They must have gotten tired of hearing "The Entertainer" being banged out every evening; they moved out within 2 weeks.
    Does your neighbor have a piano?
    This cracked me up!!! I just got my daughter a banjo for her birthday. Too bad she lives half the country away. My son is storing an electronic keyboard in my attic. Maybe I could loan that to her for a while.
    Debb70 - What about something like this? It's portable, pops in the freezer and you can make healthy popsicles.
    Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach Fastpop Quick Fast 10 Minute Ice Pop Instant Frozen Popsicle Maker Compare to Norpro Zoku: Home & Kitchen
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Get her a book on why it's not too smart to get married at age 23! Oh wow....guess it's too late for that one!
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, I know. I don't really undestand why she wants to get married right now under the circumstances, but it's not up to me. I have told her to enjoy her youth, because it doesn't last long. Oh, the days of my twenties!!!!!!!!! I did enjoy mine. I played some and worked on education a lot, but I had a good time. I wonder if they want the benefits. I don't know much about that kind of thing with the military. She did tell me that she may not be able to move over seas with him unless she gets a sponsor. ????

You guys have given me some good suggestions of what the younger ladies might like. I guess I'm more old school on gifts. I was thinking of this silver tray (looks like pewter) that goes from the oven to serving table. Says you can grill in it. They are promoted as staying hot or cold for serving and have a lifetime guarantee. I can't recall the company name. Belk had them half price this weekend, but they are still pretty high. Half price was $50.00. Is that too much? I guess I worry too much, but if I give her a gift in that price range, the other people in the office may feel uncomfortable. I think too much. lol
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Is the office giving her a shower? Would the other people see/know the price of your gift? If not, then the question is whether it's in your price range. I would be careful of giving her something too large... if she doesn't know where she'll be living, or has to move things from place to place, it may just end up in storage at her parents' house or something.
    Count your blessings!

I've thought of a shower, but for various reasons, it's not a good idea right now for everyone. I won't go into the details, but I think it's best that each person get her what they want. I've thought of a group gift, but that hasn't worked in the past. I won't go into the details....................... .

I have a great idea. I'm going to ask her and a few other ladies out to lunch my treat. We'll have a nice time and then later that day, I'll give her my gift in private. That way those who may not be gift giving won't feel bad.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Since she will likely be traveling, I wanted to avoid anything breakable.

Any thoughts?
    Linens travel beautifully. How about a tablecloth to pull out on the holidays, or a throw blanket she could put in her bedroom or living room for years to come. Every time I pull out something like this, I think about who gave it to me, and for what occasion.
    spockwhat likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Hi all, hope you don't mind if I join for a cuppa joe.

I love Baby's Breath's idea for a gift but I agree that a gift card is usually really appreciated. That way, if she has some stuff she really needs she can get what is on the top of her list!
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Thanks for the ideas. I'm still considering.

+ Reply to Thread