+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I like the fact that I can sit in my recliner mouse pad and mouse on arm of chair and me surfing away on the web. I have my desk top and it is fairly new but I have transitioned everything to my laptop and I probably won't ever go back to the desk top. My sister on the other hand would never have a laptop unless they quit making them.
    This is what I love, I feel so laid back with this. I don't take it away with us, because that's something we love to leave behind( of course when we get there all the wifi was free)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't have enough ADD to want to surf AND watch tv at the same time.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a question and always get good advice here... I just got back from a week's vacation and had my Little Sister house sit for me. We had gone to the grocery store so I could get food for her to eat and I left her "emergency cash". When I got home, almost all of the food was uneaten and all of the emergency money is gone. There are a lot of junk food and take out containers in the trash that I did not purchase for her, so I'm guessing that's where the cash went. I feel a little duped. The food I got her is not food I would eat. Do I take the "emergency money" out of the amount I agreed to pay her? Do I give her the food I'm not going to eat on top of the emergency money that's gone and the money I said I'd pay her? I'm planning to go out of town again later in the summer and will not ask her to house sit again. I'm very disappointed in her, but don't want this to ruin our 9-year relationship (Big Brothers/Sisters). Advice? She's 17.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I don't have enough ADD to want to surf AND watch tv at the same time.
    Oh, I do! I have a tv in the living room next to my computer and I've been known to check in on my crops on Family Farm while watching a tv show online. Sometimes I wait until the commercials to play my games but not always. Too often, I miss something on one of my shows because I was playing a game on Facebook.

I can't help it, I'm a chronic multi-tasker. I like to read or sew while watching tv and I usually take book in with me while I take my bath so I can read while I soak.

Gutmutter: I saw your post after I posted. I would definitely take the money missing from the emergency money out of what you pay her to housesit. If she gets mad about it, simply tell her a Big Mac attack was not the type of emergency you had in mind when you left those reserve funds. It's sad when you can't even trust your own family members. I would be willing to housesit for a friend or family member without pay just because I think it's the right thing to do. The fact that you were paying her to do this and she still took advantage of you is terrible.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-10-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You are probably lucky that your house is still standing. She is 17 and, in a situation like this, you should be tickled at any signs of maturity you may see, after your foray. Did she choose the food that you bought? Do you know what she usually eats when you two are not together? Lord knows they love junk food.

Since you made a deal with her to pay her for staying at your house, I'd say pay her, give her the food if she wants it, and consider all of this as money well spent for a lesson learned by you. Like you've said, you will NEVER ask her again. I don't think it would hurt to tell her that you are disappointed in the situation, but I wouldn't harp on it. If you all have the relationship that you think you have, she will talk to you.

I am sorry for your disappointment. Deep breaths, sister....deep breaths. Let the next move be on her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree with pickachu. I think its a bit cheeky of her to use emergency money on food. You got her food! I would take the emergency cash out of what you were going to pay her, hopefully she will learn a lesson from that. I would give her the food that you wont eat. By then you should be all squared up

My daughter house sits for us now and then, I buy her food, but I don't pay her. She has free run of this place and my car- she would be doing the same things she does at her apartment. I house sat for a friend of mine, it was only a week, and never charged her
    -Andy Rooney-

Before I left, we went to the grocery store down every aisle and section and I wrote down every thing she said she wanted to have /would eat. I went the day before I left and got every single thing on her "want" list. It's not like I didn't get her "junk" food... I got a very specific brand/flavor of ice cream that she never even opened, yet she went to the store and got specialty ($$$) individual ice cream treats. There's an entire jar of Nutella never opened, etc. I'm wondering now if she even stayed here or if she just came once a day to feed the cat, because the house doesn't look "lived in" at all. Not a single thing out of place or used. I put out bowls/plates/glasses for her to use since she's short and my cupboards are up pretty high and not one was used. No dirty dishes in the sink, etc. I don't want to pay her if she wasn't even here. I'm waiting for her to respond to an email.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Before I left, we went to the grocery store down every aisle and section and I wrote down every thing she said she wanted to have /would eat. I went the day before I left and got every single thing on her "want" list. It's not like I didn't get her "junk" food... I got a very specific brand/flavor of ice cream that she never even opened, yet she went to the store and got specialty ($$$) individual ice cream treats. There's an entire jar of Nutella never opened, etc. I'm wondering now if she even stayed here or if she just came once a day to feed the cat, because the house doesn't look "lived in" at all. Not a single thing out of place or used. I put out bowls/plates/glasses for her to use since she's short and my cupboards are up pretty high and not one was used. No dirty dishes in the sink, etc. I don't want to pay her if she wasn't even here. I'm waiting for her to respond to an email.
    Oh wow, wouldn't that be awful if she didn't even bother to stay there. I would house sit for you ( if I lived closer) wayyyyyyyyy closer.
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Sorry you had this happen, Gutmutter.

Sounds like she went with you to the grocery store and chose the food she was "supposed" to eat. I think she (intentionally or not) "misunderstood" the purpose of the emergency cash. I agree with prhoshay; pay her, give her the food if she wants it, and consider it money you spent on a lesson. If this is the worst thing that happened with a teen-aged housesitter, you got away with a bargain!

(Reminds me of a case on Judge Alex where the woman had a friend house sit, gave her emergency money, and came back to find that her "friend" had given the key to HER friends, who threw a party, trashed the house and did not feed the pets (some of which died). And the defendant had the audacity to COUNTERSUE the plaintiff because she wasn't paid anything more than the emergency money she stole.)

Gutmutter, chalk it up to a lesson learned. Never EVER trust a teenager in your house when you are away. Actually, you got off lucky. I'm a pet sitter and we frequently stay overnight in clients homes to care for their animals and watch over their house. You would not believe the horror stories we have heard from clients who asked teenage sons and daughter of friends of theirs, or their own teens to watch their homes.
    I once walked into a house where the teenage son of the husband (the kid lived with his mom) was cleaning up from a party he had given the night before. In addition to some minor property damage there were beer and whiskey bottles everywhere. The first words out of his mouth to was "You won't tell my Dad, will you?" Since I don't lie, I didn't answer. The parents told me they were still finding bottles and cans in the bushes around their pool more than a month later. We had another client who had a neighbor boy coming in 4 times a day to care for their dogs. The kid had a party, drank all their beer and ripped the felt on their pool table.
    Pay the girl but explain to her that you are upset and why and next time hire a professional who can supply excellent references.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread