+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6247Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I desperately need a new computer. A whole lot of people keep trying to get me to buy a laptop instead of a desk PC. Those who are used to them seem to love them. But every time I use one I absolutely hate it. I don't like the keyboard & despise the "mouse", even the screen seems sub-standard. When I mention this to people, they say "you can always attach another keyboard & mouse". Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole thing?
    Plus, I like a permanently attached printer. I know a lot of people who have a laptop, but no printer. That just makes no sense to me. Like having a TV, but no way to change the channel. The usage is a bit limited.
    I said no for a long long time. Now, I love my laptop. The only thing I did get was a mouse. Love it! I love my printer that tucks away in a cupboard-
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I said no for a long long time. Now, I love my laptop. The only thing I did get was a mouse. Love it! I love my printer that tucks away in a cupboard-
    That's the very reason I've put off buying a new computer. Those who love them, LOVE them. I just don't want to take the plunge & end up hating it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I desperately need a new computer. A whole lot of people keep trying to get me to buy a laptop instead of a desk PC. Those who are used to them seem to love them. But every time I use one I absolutely hate it. I don't like the keyboard & despise the "mouse", even the screen seems sub-standard. When I mention this to people, they say "you can always attach another keyboard & mouse". Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole thing?
    Plus, I like a permanently attached printer. I know a lot of people who have a laptop, but no printer. That just makes no sense to me. Like having a TV, but no way to change the channel. The usage is a bit limited.
    I see no limitations.
    My husband and I each have a laptop (me: MacBook Air; him: my old MacBook White). He has an iPod Touch. I have an iPad2. He uses his stuff mainly for fun. I use mine mainly for work. We have a Canon printer to which we can connect all of our devices wirelessly via my Time Capsule (combination router and wireless external hard-drive back-up). No limits here.

As a plus, I'm completely portable which is * a must* for my line of work.
    Cootie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I understand exactly how you feel. I am a new laptop user who is not all that enthralled. Luckily my desktop is still here and, though it can be sludgy and annoying, I do prefer the way it works. I do use my laptop more than my desktop, but when I go back to it, I remember why I still prefer it. This thing is like going to the newest Apple iphone because "everybody" has one. It's trendy. I never bought an iphone, and I'm not sure I'd go laptop again. I've never been a "trendy" girl; that would be my sister!

Hate it? No. Could easily live without it....Yes!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I resisted getting a laptop computer for a long time because I didn't like the mouse and keyboard but it was a pain to go on vacation and take my whole desktop computer system with me. Finally, I switched to a laptop and I love it so much! It's easier to get to the power cord to unplug it when there's bad weather, I can easily take my computer on vacation or in to be serviced, and with the peripheral keyboard and mouse, it feels just like using a desktop computer.

Another concern I had about getting a laptop was the overheating problem. I'd heard of laptop computers catching on fire and my dad's laptop computer used to get sluggish when it was on for any length of time either because of the heat problem or low battery, I'm not sure which. I keep my laptop plugged in to its AC adapter at home so as not to drain the battery and I have it up on a rack to keep it from overheating.

I don't have a problem with the screen on my laptop. If anything, I think the screen is easier to look at than my desktop monitor was because the desktop screen was curved. I couldn't afford a flat screen monitor at the time.

To each his own but I definitely prefer my laptop computer to my old desktop.

It seems like more and more of my friends are using Iphones to get online and I don't think I would like that. Some of the Facebook games I play are hard enoough on a big screen. I couldn't imagine using a teenie phone or tablet to play those games.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We (hubby and I) each have laptops, connected to a large monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. When at the desk, there is no difference between this and my old desktop PC. We also have a wireless printer that we can print to from anywhere in the house. Sometimes, I'll take the laptop into the living room so I can surf the web while watching TV in the evening. Or I'll take it into the kitchen if I'm watching a live feed during the day.

The biggest benefit is that when we go on trips, I take my laptop, and it's just like being at home, except I use the laptop keyboard and mouse.

Having done it this way for a couple of years now, I can't see ever doing it any other way.

That's the very reason I've put off buying a new computer. Those who love them, LOVE them. I just don't want to take the plunge & end up hating it.
    I honestly don't think you will regret it. I thought I would, but I haven't given that old PC a second thought

.You can teach an old dog new tricks sent from my laptop while a dog sits either side.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Speaking of dogs...which ones of us here are dog people? Cat people? Have some of each? Into exotic pets?

I'm definitely more of a cat person. People who say cats aren't affectionate just don't know how cats show affection.

We had both dogs and cats while I was growing up. My parents and sister lean more toward being dog lovers. I'm not sure why I came to prefer cats more.

I like the fact that I can sit in my recliner mouse pad and mouse on arm of chair and me surfing away on the web. I have my desk top and it is fairly new but I have transitioned everything to my laptop and I probably won't ever go back to the desk top. My sister on the other hand would never have a laptop unless they quit making them.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am on line more with my laptop, of course, and I'm not so sure that's a positive. Don't know that I'd want to take it with me when I travel. It's kind of nice to get away from social media sometimes. I do pay my bills by computer, but you can always preplan that to occur and not need a computer. If I really think I need one while I am away, there's always the library or my phone.

My gurls seem to like to stomp across my keyboard....another negative.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread