+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5793Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

That's a lovely post Eastcoastmom! I hope yours is nice too.

We are having some friends and family over to grill out later today. It's beautiful now, but we have had thunderstorms everyday for almost a week. I hope the weather holds out.

I put out all my patriotic decorations, flags, stars, streamers, spinners, etc. It looks nice.

I had considered going to watch the fireworks either downtown or at the lake, but with the weather so iffy, have decided to just watch them on tv. I'm sure the neighborhood will have their fair share later anyway.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm always grateful for wishes for a safe 4th of July. Our family tradition seems to be that I injure myself in odd ways, always on the 4th of July: stepping on bees (two different years), losing my hearing for a couple of days when someone set off a firecracker too close to my ear, almost impaling myself on a banister while chasing a cat spooked by firecrackers, and - the biggie - tearing the muscle in the back of my calf while trying to best my grandson in a "cannonball into the pool" contest. (That one actually required a visit to the ER and crutches.)

So we have NO ONE over to the house, we don't GO anywhere, and I don't even cook. Everything that could be made ahead was made yesterday. Hubby will grill steaks (he's not part of the curse), and I will just watch TV, play Candy Crush, and avoid sharp objects. I didn't even shave my legs this morning!

I'm usually not superstitious, but neither am I stupid nor in the mood to tempt fate. LOL.
    Ellen, inthegarden and Photobabe like this.

Oh my AZChristian. You're right. Take it easy. Fireworks are dangerous.

One year my ex and I bought the safe and legal fireworks, but still some malfunctioned and if we had been too close, we would have gotten hit by fire! I've been wary of them since. Then one year, I was at a large private party and they had professional fireworks, but still, some of them came down in flames on top of the crowd! I didn't get hit, but some people did. I prefer to keep a good distance.

I hope you have a safe and happy 4th of July!
    AZChristian likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm always grateful for wishes for a safe 4th of July. Our family tradition seems to be that I injure myself in odd ways, always on the 4th of July: stepping on bees (two different years), losing my hearing for a couple of days when someone set off a firecracker too close to my ear, almost impaling myself on a banister while chasing a cat spooked by firecrackers, and - the biggie - tearing the muscle in the back of my calf while trying to best my grandson in a "cannonball into the pool" contest. (That one actually required a visit to the ER and crutches.)

So we have NO ONE over to the house, we don't GO anywhere, and I don't even cook. Everything that could be made ahead was made yesterday. Hubby will grill steaks (he's not part of the curse), and I will just watch TV, play Candy Crush, and avoid sharp objects. I didn't even shave my legs this morning!

I'm usually not superstitious, but neither am I stupid nor in the mood to tempt fate. LOL.
    Oh my, AZ Christian, you've had a run of bad luck. I am not a big fireworks person and they are illegal to purchase in my state but people still do. When our sons were little, we did sparklers but that was about it. Over 30 years ago when my husband and I were dating we went to view the fireworks being displayed over the Throgs Neck Bridge, which is a part of NYC. We were standing there watching the display and some #$%&@ decided to light a firecracker. It went off right near my husband's left ear and ever since he has ringing in his ear. It's no joke. He's learned to live with it over the years but there is no cure. Ever since then I have hated fireworks and refused to let our sons set them off. Too many horror stories.

We had a nice BBQ at my sister's house...the usual fare. I am on cloud 9 b/c everyone there noticed I have lost weight. I am down 41 lbs so far. Yay me!!! *pats self on back*
    Ellen, Cootie, Photobabe and 2 others like this.

Eastcoastmom! OMG. That's something to be proud of. I bet you feel so good. You deserve plenty of pats on the back. Congratulations to you!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks, Debb. I'm feeling stronger these days and the encouragement is what I need to keep me motivated.

We had a nice BBQ at my sister's house...the usual fare. I am on cloud 9 b/c everyone there noticed I have lost weight. I am down 41 lbs so far. Yay me!!! *pats self on back
    As you should!! pat pat from me as well
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Add my pats too ECM!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Happy to report that I survived the 4th unscathed!

Eastcoastmom, I have bilateral tinnitus as a result of being on an anti-depressant for many years - even though I haven't taken the medication for 5 years. I call it "the gift that keeps on giving." I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, and I'm sorry your husband has it. It's another reason I avoid Fourth of July celebrations - sometimes loud noises will kick up the tinnitus, and I don't need it to be any worse than it is. It sounds like I have a dentist drilling my teeth 24/7.
    Ellen and inthegarden like this.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

After decades, this year they lifted our ban of the sale of fireworks. The main road in my small town was filled with firework stands and had a steady stream of customers.
    It rained all day yesterday and into the night with only a few breaks of no rain. So the fireworks were silent during heavy down pours and would start up as soon as the rain slacked off. It went on all night until daylight. I could picture in my mind all the people standing around waiting for rain breaks, running outside blowing up the skies and then running back inside. I'm sure we will have fireworks all weekend long and into next week.

+ Reply to Thread