+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5849Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What's a good word for an "invitation" that really "isn't"? I've considered a "non-vite" and a "non-invitation". Suggestions? The circumstances are it comes in, by email, at the last minute with no details leaving no time for making arrangements, should one really want to attend. I don't think the "hint" could be any bigger!
    About 150 years ago, when I graduated from high school, we were limited as to the number of people we could invite to the ceremony. So we ordered "invitations" and "announcements." For one, you wanted the person's presence. For the other, you wanted their presents.
    prhoshay and cablejockey like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Forgot to add that it's not a formal gathering; it's a family gathering.....but I understand your point with the wording.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I saw an insect on my coffee table. I googled a picture of the insect: it looks like a king termite. It's about 3/8ths of an inch long. My coffee table is made of wood. I read that the kind of termite that gets inside is different from the ones that burrow through wood in walls and tree stumps. I looked outside and I didn't see any insects by my living room window, or by the light outside my front door. I read that termites are drawn to lights. There is a lamp on my coffee table.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What's a good word for an "invitation" that really "isn't"? I've considered a "non-vite" and a "non-invitation". Suggestions? The circumstances are it comes in, by email, at the last minute with no details leaving no time for making arrangements, should one really want to attend. I don't think the "hint" could be any bigger!
    No-vitational?

Invitation-ish?

The act formerly known as an Invitation? (Too long? )

Rush-vitation? (Since it comes at the last minute?)

NoSVP? (Since there is no RSVP)
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

canada-day-comment-0092.gif

Wishing all of our Canadian FORTers a very Happy Canada Day!
    cablejockey and Miss Scarlet like this.

Thank you Cathy- looks like a lovely hot day
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Don't know if I ever related the pain-in-the-butt events that seemed to be happening to me, back-to-back, that all seemed to cost lots of money to fix, but I am now updating a story that I may have not even told. The sound on my television went out.....just ****poof!****.........and that was just another item on my money list, but it was low priority. This happened several weeks ago. Well, last night, I went into the den to do some things, and wanted to turn on my television just for the picture for something and......my sound was back!!! The only thing different between several weeks ago and last night was that I had had an extremely brief power outage from a really bad storm about a week ago. Looks like I get to keep a little of my money in my pocket, for right now, but I am mentally prepared to spend, at this point....but I won't be doing it before I just have to! The set is about 20 years old, so I can't really complain.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mine did that one time. Also, once it was warm, either the TV or the weather, I couldn't change the channel. So early in the morning when I first got up, I'd select the channel I wanted to watch most that evening & set the channel. Providing I didn't touch any controls the sound held up.
    Eventually I had to break down & get a new TV. I hope yours healed itself a little more permanently.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Did ligtning damage your tv? If so, you may have some coverage through your homeowners policy. I have read that it sometimes take weeks for the lightning damage to reveal itself in an electronic or appliance. You might check into it. I would watch out for other things too.

I had a tv that I bought when the first high definition digital tvs came out. It was big and heavy. It was one of the best ones I have ever seen. After a few years, it started doing crazy things, but it still was a good tv. When I gave it to charity, it was still working.

There was a 3 year period that it would cut itself on and off for no reason. I had to leave it on all the time. If I cut it off, it would go on, off, on, off the off.....so once I got it on, I couldn't turn it off. The repairman could not figure out why it did it! We checked the alarm system and everything you could think of. Then one day it stopped doing it and worked fine for years. It was working great when I donated it. lol

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Hope everyone who celebrates Independence Day today has a safe and fun holiday.

+ Reply to Thread