+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

When my mom died, we asked that charitable donations be made to the American Cancer Society. Not that we would be offended if someone had sent flowers instead, but because we thought if someone wanted to make a loving gesture to our family at our time of loss, a contribution to a society looking for treatment for people who are fighting cancer (like my mom was) would be the most meaningful.

My co-workers chipped in to make a donation, and so did a group of my reality tv friends. We got notification of the donations and it meant a lot to me.
    Last edited by pikachu; 06-27-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Okay. Knowing this makes me feel much better.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I know I'm a bit late chiming in here, but when my grandfather died in 2010, my coworkers donated to the designated charity (WWII museum) and I've kept those cards to this day. Not that sending flowers is wrong...not at all!...but those memorial cards the museum sent me commemorated my grandfather well and were more lasting. JMHO.
    pikachu likes this.

As someone who just lost a family member I can tell you that for us at least, a donation is MUCH more appreciated than flowers. We had our fill of floral arrangements that began to die very soon after they arrive (yes, I know they're already technically dead, but you know what I mean). We had to quickly decide on a few local charities for people to make memorial donations. I think people send flowers because they don't know what else to do or because they think they should. My parents are from the Midwest and that's just what you did when they were growing up. I can tell you that we would all groan when another floral arrangement showed up at the door.

We designated a few small, local charities where even small amounts of money would make a difference long after flowers would be a distant memory. We appreciated the flowers, but it just became overwhelming and we ran out of room for them all.
    Ellen and pikachu like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

When my parents died (not at the same time) after the funerals we had the flowers sent to the house, & some we brought to the cemetary & some we kept at the house. They gave us a good feeling, for some reason, as if that parent was still there in part while we were at the house making arrangements. My siblings & I took any live plants home & they were nice rememberances.
    Any money we got, we gave to a Church group both our parents belonged to.

When a charity is requested, I usually try to donate there, unless it's a charity I just don't agree with or respect.
    One time it was listed in the obituary & funeral announcement that in lieu of flowers please send money to the family members. I knew the family well enough to know they were a greedy bunch who just wanted to make money from the death of a loved one. They got flowers.

I know that flowers are always appreciated, just as are fruit baskets, or other stuff. But in the end, what's appreciated most is the gift to the charity because it's almost always one that means something to the family, more than the flowers would.
    pikachu likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

When my parents passed we had floral arrangements and that meant so much to us. The live flowers went on the grave and the plants came to the house. We kept the plants we knew we could care for and shared the rest with other family members. I do think donating to charities is a great idea. I still have a plant from when my mom passed.
    pikachu likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Either way, I was just grateful to be remembered and have my mother honored.
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I am not a bar or a club person. I was taken to one again and after like 15 minutes of just sitting there by myself, I got up and left. I'm pretty bad socially.
    Just make sure you don't get hooked on hanging out with middle aged ladies online all the time. We can be addictive.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Just make sure you don't get hooked on hanging out with middle aged ladies online all the time. We can be addictive.
    Snerk!

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Middle aged- over the hill here
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread