+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Non-contract phones cost less! I finally got that through my head, courtesy of my off-spring. It has saved me $40/month! I wanted to slap myself upside the head when I looked back and realized how much money I had wasted. I used until to pay for my son's phone while he was in college until he completely abused the privilege, and then I cut him off! They had phones in their rooms, anyway. Believe me, he found the cheapest way to have a phone after that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The sad part about texting is it has taken the place of real communication. I think the kids like it because they don't have to have a real conversation with you and be bothered with details. I have stopped telling my daughter details. When she decide she wants to talk to me with meaning then I will give her life's details she misses out on in texting. She may miss out on a lot of good things since she likes texting instead of talking. I am a human not a machine and I like human interaction.

She has been told you want to talk to me you better call because I don't like texting but that hasn't worked. Guess what the art of communication isn't what it used to be with us. Her loss. If this sounds mean so be it because a lot of the older generation don't do it and so they don't get to have conversations with them like they used to. BTW I can text really good but I hate it especially when I get messages while driving and I can't text and drive. There is a time and place for it so it isn't all bad.

Off rant. Disclaimer.....just my opinion...lol
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I never pick up a message when I'm driving. I always wait until I get to my next stop. Nothing is, generally, that important, IMO.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I am 66. Many of my jobs before retirement required extensive use of the telephone, and that was fine because those who called for help needed it right away. Very little in my life now is "right away." I use the internet for most reservations and to gather information, and use e-mails and texts as much as possible. About the only time I use the phone is to check in with hubby (hands-free) when I'm out and about, or to call to set up appointments that can't be handled via e-mail.

I love people . . . I just hate using the phone. We had our land line disconnected several years ago and ported that number over to my husband's cell phone. If we get 2 calls a week (not to/from each other), that's a lot.

Thank goodness we can all use the options that work best for us.

Just a few more comments. As for texting, I do it only occasionally. I strongly dislike my cell phone. It is a replacement for my original phone which "disappeared" along with my contact list and all my pictures! The insurance company would only give me this one and it is now only an emergency.
    device for me. I am not a fast typer/keyer/texter ... and have a tendency to need a lot of words so I have told friends and family to call ... and skip the texts!

I know many people who only have cells ... but cell service in this area is not good enough for various reasons. I maintain a landline and would even if the cell service was fantastic in this area. When the power goes off in this area ... I can plug an old non-cordless phone into a jack ... and report the power outage!

If the power is out, there is nowhere to charge a cell except in a car ... and the gasoline is needed for other things !

I know my way may be a little old fashioned ... but the old fashioned way worked before.

Too many new things are erasing the fine old things. Someone commented recently that our local library has become a giant Red Box. Sad, isn't it?
    Photobabe likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I do still patronize AND enjoy my public library! It's just a couple of blocks away!
    Photobabe likes this.

I still have a land line. I have a plain old cell phone and don't text. I still enjoy going to, browsing through, and checking out books at the library.
    I'm a member of Gutmutter's Dinosaur Club.

Has anyone here ever used a Waterpik? I'd be interested in experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I still have a land line. I have a plain old cell phone and don't text. I still enjoy going to, browsing through, and checking out books at the library.
    I'm a member of Gutmutter's Dinosaur Club.
    I still have a land line, but I never answer it. Way too many phone solicitors trying to hold me captive. Tell them to take you off their list, or sign up for the no-call list & it doesn't help a bit. I have an answering machine & everyone who knows me knows this & leaves a message & I'll call back or pick up then. I've had a few who call my name & say "This is ........ If you're there pick up" and then wait a few moments. If I'm there, I do.

I also have a cell phone. I despised texting & had no use for a camera. Too much hassle.
    Then my daughter talked me into getting one with a QWERTY keyboard. She & the cell phone lady said I wouldn't mind texting then. They were right. It's just like typing, complete with punctuation figures and numbers. One thing I can do is type. I have no problem with texting now.
    I also have small grandchildren out of state now. I get pictures all the time now. At least a few times a week. I love that.
    I'd so much rather communicate & get (or send) pictures by text than have all messages & pictures splashed all over the internet for others to see. Nobody else's business. I'm big on privacy.

I don't have a Smart Phone, however. I have no use for the internet by phone & games are a waste of time. Other "apps" don't interest me either. I'm not really sure nor do I care what "apps" are anyhow. The only music I want are my ring tones.
    For me it's a phone & a grandchild picture sender. A way of communication. Nothing more.
    And I don't ever give the number out to strangers, stores, businesses, or anyone else other than personal friends. I don't want the phone solicitors to find me there.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Ha! I don't have a phone that receives texts. I recently found out two family members had sent me texts and were angrily waiting for responses. I have a very minimal track phone I use only when I'm traveling. Any other time it isn't even charged and it would cost extra to do texting, so I'm not sure where these people's texts are going.
    That happened to Mike - his boss texted him to call him. Mike had ME email his boss from his (Mike's) email account that Mike waited for his boss and was leaving (it was from my iPhone but his email account) but Mike doesn't have a smart phone so no texting or email apps. His boss had no idea that he didn't receive the text. So he replied to the email to that effect - I texted you and you never called. OOPS. I called Mike to call him. He explained that he couldn't get texts. His boss knows that his drivers aren't supposed to have cell phones on them anyway. He should have had dispatch radio him.

+ Reply to Thread