+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6246Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #19111
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Ellen, I read that cold, salt water or WD-40 are some natural ways of getting rid of termites.
    Hmm WD-40 may be good to try around our windows when we start getting the hot Santa Ana days when those gross termites swarm and make their appearance. Ugghhh. Our apartment owners/managers have yet to do anything other than "band aid approaches." WD-40 is a band-aid approach, too but I can do it faster than owner/manager can or will.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  2. #19112
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,391

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Hmm — WD-40 may be good to try around our windows when we start getting the hot Santa Ana days when those gross termites swarm and make their appearance. Ugghhh. Our apartment owners/managers have yet to do anything other than "band aid approaches." WD-40 is a band-aid approach, too — but I can do it faster than owner/manager can or will.
    I can empathize. The manager at my last apartment was SO unresponsive. We had horrible ant infestations - I lost hundreds of dollars worth of food - and yet she would forget to put my apartment on the list for spraying when they would have someone come in once a month. She'd forget and then wouldn't do anything about it. It was "oh well, they're not back until next month, so just wipe everything down with vinegar." If it had been her pantry that was over-run with ants, she would have had the exterminator out the next day.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #19113
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    WOW. Sorry you are being bugged! Ellen, I also read that you can make your own cardboard traps to get rid of some of them,

    Wet some flat strips of cardboard, stack them, and put where the termites will be. Once some of them are trapped, take it away and burn it.

    You can find more detailed instructions, but that really is about it.

    p.s. as for the ant or pantry bug wipe down ... I used ammonia on rags, gauze and other items ... and set them around (on outside window sills, etc.) it worked.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  4. #19114
    Go Donny! Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Big Brother house
    Posts
    13,149

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I don't like to think of myself as old, but yesterday I made a Wizard of Oz reference in my middle school classroom and nobody had any idea what I was talking about. When I was growing up, The Wizard of Oz was the only movie you ever saw repeatedly (pre-VCR). It was on TV every year. Our teachers didn't give homework that night.
    Count your blessings!

  5. #19115
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,187

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Don't think of yourself as "old"....think of those poor children as unexposed and, culturally, neglected! I made SURE my son knew about and appreciated that movie!
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  6. #19116
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,185

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Yes, I may feel old at times, but I actually feel fortunate too. Sometimes knowing things old school really come in handy.

  7. #19117
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I don't like to think of myself as old, but yesterday I made a Wizard of Oz reference in my middle school classroom and nobody had any idea what I was talking about. When I was growing up, The Wizard of Oz was the only movie you ever saw repeatedly (pre-VCR). It was on TV every year. Our teachers didn't give homework that night.
    And the Sound of Music!!

    I remember one happy hour where we were talking about good movies and we mentioned Ferris Bueller's Day Off. One of the new lawyers just asked "i've never heard of it, what was it about?" We all stared at him like he had 3 heads. The realization that a movie that isn't even that old, relatively speaking, hadn't been heard of by someone who is old enough to practice law seriously shocked me to my core!! And yes, I am not that old either - but I sure felt like I was that day!!

  8. #19118
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,187

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    The computer tech came out and disengaged my Ethernet cord yesterday, and that was rapid response after a call just a couple of days ago.....now, that's what I call service!
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #19119
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,643

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    And the Sound of Music!!

    I remember one happy hour where we were talking about good movies and we mentioned Ferris Bueller's Day Off. One of the new lawyers just asked "i've never heard of it, what was it about?" We all stared at him like he had 3 heads. The realization that a movie that isn't even that old, relatively speaking, hadn't been heard of by someone who is old enough to practice law seriously shocked me to my core!! And yes, I am not that old either - but I sure felt like I was that day!!
    That lawyer must be really young. When my son (who's now 35) was around 10 or 11, he had a bunch of friends over for a sleepover and they watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off (several times). The next morning, they were all quoting the line "...Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond." They thought it was hilarious. I had seen the movie earlier and didn't remember anything raunchy in it. I felt like a bad mom. Now, of course, kids are watching much worse stuff.

  10. #19120
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,185

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Prancersize anyone? I prefer the second technique. lol It just cracks me up, but I do admit when I watch her I get this overwhelming desire to gallop down my driveway! lol

    Prancer size funny video - YouTube

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.