+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5771Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Ms. Kitty's story makes me think of a pet peeve of mine (I'm full of them today, apparently). I understand that some people enjoy talking to and interacting with their seatmates on flights and buses. I actually do not enjoy it at all. I'm shy by nature and it takes an extraordinary effort for me to make small talk with strangers. I do it in my professional life and I do it in my personal life, but I do not want to make that kind of effort and committment for someone that is just going to be in my life for an hour or two. Yet somehow, I always seem to have these really talkative people sit next to me. Despite all of the "go away" signals I put off (book, earphones, staring out window), they don't seem to take the hint.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I wholeheartedly agree. Whenever i travel, i try to find my own space as to not be bothered by anything else going on around me. I really don't care to talk to anyone else unless i know them. But even with them, i might not be too talkative.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2174015;
    ... I always seem to have these really talkative people sit next to me. Despite all of the "go away" signals I put off (book, earphones, staring out window), they don't seem to take the hint.
    Stargazer: You're just too cute and emote great energy! It's not your fault!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Well raising my hand as a guilty party in trying to engage strangers in conversation. However, if the person is reading or has on earphones or other keep away signals, I do respect that also.

But I talk to people all the time, even if I know I will never see them again.
    I've gotten some great reccomendations for restaurants, shops or attractions from strangers on planes, buses, etc. and also met some really nice people that helped make a long flight or wait seem shorter.

My family and friends say I can talk to anyone and that's part of the reason I attract so many weirdos too. But I can't help it. I'm just chatty by nature and have been told that I make people feel at ease too.

Anyway, to each his own, that's what makes this an interesting world. Or as my dad would say: It takes all kinds of cars to make a parking lot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm like you rosiedog... I'll start up conversations with anyone, young or old. I'm from Ohio and live in New England where it just isn't done, so I stick out a little.
    Count your blessings!

I'm guilty too; I would never talk till I was over 30, so I'm still trying to catch up. Still, headphones, books, being answered "mmm-hmmm" all give me the hint. I won't just keep on with no help.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I figured you three would be guilty. I actually come from a Loooong line of talking-to-total-strangers people. My grandpa once asked a wrong number over for Sunday dinner. I respect people that can do that and be comfortable talking to anyone. I just want them to respect the fact I want to hide most the time,if I don't know them.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I've noticed that I've become more talkative in the last several years when I meet people I don't know. Just to say something nice or chat a bit. I try not to intrude if they have ipods or are reading a book either.

It bothered my sister when we went out to an art fair. I enjoyed talking to the artists and with other viewers. My sister would ask, do you know that person? No, but I wanted to say hi and pet their dog. And their artwork was great!

But I know I have to be careful sometimes because we do have some weird people wandering around the City and they don't always look like bad people.

Stargazer: That is such a cute story about your Grandpa! I guess in those days it would be fairly safe as well to invite a stranger into your home!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'll never forget the thanksgiving in the late 60s when someone brought two cute hitch hikers to our extended family dinner. About 5 of us girl cousins were early teens and these guys were probably about 20. The preening that went on behind closed doors! Ha!
    Count your blessings!

I know a lot of people make donations during the holidays, so I wanted to put this out there in case anyone is wondering who to give to this year.

The place I work always takes up a donation to give to a charity at Christmas. This year, my direct Supervisor (who is an angel of a lady) is fighting an aggressive form of breast cancer. Her chances are not great, but her progress has been better than expected.

Anyway, when we were thinking about what charity to donate to this year, I started wondering if we could do something in honor of S. I googled around and discovered that our local cancer treatment center has a wonderful program. It provides wigs, turbans, and other fun headwear for women who are going through chemo and can't afford their own. We were all thrilled to find something to donate to that had a meaning so close to home. It's run through the Susan G Komen organization, so I'm sure they have similiar programs around the country if anyone is interested.

+ Reply to Thread