+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6277Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I never took typing in school. I thought I was really getting away with something at the time. Boy did that ever come back to bite me in the butt!
    I didn't either. Man like you- that bit me in the bum!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Trying to help my soon to be 16 year old daughter choose her 11th grade courses for next year (we go up to 12 here before university). I am trying to make sure her Plan A,B,C are lined up and she doesn't eliminate a potential degree in her current decision making. Plan A is law, B is English teacher (we don't have hardly any teaching jobs available here) Plan C (I am trying to convince her) Architecture or Industrial Design (she is very strong in maths and sciences and in a visual arts concentration in high school).
    Is she leaning in any particular direction? Has she consulted with her guidance counselor? If she is dead set on becoming a teacher, it matters not whether there are any teaching jobs to be had. The heart wants what it wants. I tried to steer my son towards architecture as he was a good math student and very artistically inclined but he wanted no part of it. I just had to let my dream of seeing him become an architect go. I felt it was a good match but he felt otherwise. Good Luck!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I couldn't fit typing in during the regular school year but I felt it was important and took it during summer school. It helped so much with all of those college papers I needed to type. This was back in the day when we used an IBM Selectric typewriter- way before the days of computers.

Trying to help my soon to be 16 year old daughter choose her 11th grade courses for next year (we go up to 12 here before university). I am trying to make sure her Plan A,B,C are lined up and she doesn't eliminate a potential degree in her current decision making. Plan A is law, B is English teacher (we don't have hardly any teaching jobs available here) Plan C (I am trying to convince her) Architecture or Industrial Design (she is very strong in maths and sciences and in a visual arts concentration in high school).
    If she goes to law school, any undergrade degree is fine. We had students at the top of the class whose undergrade was in music. The big thing in law school is reading speed and comprehension. There is a lot of it. It's not for everyone. Go with a state law school. Private ones are too costly, IMO. I made that mistake, though I got a great education. And there are LOTS of attorneys in my area. I think they are turning out too many lawyers every year.

I personally think people in artistic professions like archectiture and design are happier with their jobs. If she's into that kind of thing, I would go that route.

Her strengths sound suited for Imaging Science.

You're a good mom to keep a watchful eye on her choices and decisions. I encourage you to carry this right through her college career.

Thanks everyone I live in Canada so we have more reasonably priced university, thank goodness.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    If she goes to law school, any undergrade degree is fine. We had students at the top of the class whose undergrade was in music. The big thing in law school is reading speed and comprehension. There is a lot of it. It's not for everyone. Go with a state law school. Private ones are too costly, IMO. I made that mistake, though I got a great education. And there are LOTS of attorneys in my area. I think they are turning out too many lawyers every year.

I personally think people in artistic professions like archectiture and design are happier with their jobs. If she's into that kind of thing, I would go that route.
    This is true. I, for example, was a Psychology major. I also went through a period where I thought I might go to medical school, so I took a lot of science classes and ended up graduating with a BS. Bottom line is to enjoy what you are studying. I know people who did business or poly sci undergrads because they thought it would help them in law school. It really didn't and they hated all the classes.

On a more general level, especially for a woman - I don't care what you decide to go into, I don't think anyone can go wrong with taking math and science classes. In high school, for example, it was my parents' requirement that I had some type of: english, math, science, social studies (government, geography, etc.) and foreign language every year. Then I was able to choose the rest.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What I learned was that the more we push them in one direction, the more they tend to resist, so pushing is not the best idea. Gentle suggestions tend to work better, but they are going to do what they are going to do.

I've never been a fan of "soft" majors....the more etheral things.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What I learned was that the more we push them in one direction, the more they tend to resist, so pushing is not the best idea. Gentle suggestions tend to work better, but they are going to do what they are going to do.

I've never been a fan of "soft" majors....the more etheral things.
    Not if that is all you are planning on doing, no. But if you are going on to grad school (like law school), I don't see the harm. Plus, now it really messes with people that I have both a psychology degree and a law degree!
    prhoshay and Lil Bit like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Happy Aniversary. I wish I had come by sooner.

by the way, you know those Jelly Beans I posted about a while back?

I found out they actually have them in a store near my house!

After some consideration, I have decided not to buy it. Maybe once I get more people to do it with.

Also, has anyone ever heard of the movie Cannibal Holocaust? It's one of the most graphicly disturbing movies ever made and it's from 1980. I've never seen it, never want to, but for some reason I still love the opening track to it. I'd get it on my iPod but people who know the movie might think I'm nuts.
    No? Okay

New issue, though, with my computer. I described it in more detail on the Microsoft support forum, so here's what I wrote:

Today, for some reason, the windows startup has been a lot slower than usual. The "Windows is starting" screen takes a lot longer, as does the time to load the main menu, and after I click to log in with the Owner account, there is a black screen for two or three minutes before the desktop starts up. This hasn't happened before and I don't know what started it. I've been searching for solutions online all day and I tried some things, such as running the error-checking scan, the Defragmentation, and disabling some of the startup programs when entering the desktop. None of this helped. What else can I do?
    Any advice any fellow FORTers can give?

+ Reply to Thread