+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Being alone also gives one a chance to really get to know yourself. Many people just freak at the idea of being alone.

Many people never have had the opportunity to live alone, going from their parents home straight into another home with another person. I don't think I could have stood that. Like was mentioned above, being alone does not necessarily mean being lonely. That's the kind of person I really wouldn't really want to be stuck with. Creepy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I like being alone.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

What an interesting conversation. It's such a personal choice. My grandmother decided she never would marry again after my grandfather died. She was single again for 33 years, 12 years shy of how long she was married. She never regretted it, and was happy with her life. She kept active and had a group of friends she maintained.

OTOH I had an aunt who married very shortly after her husband passed away. She liked being married. Obviously for her the happy times are worth the risk.

I am happily married. I like being married. I've always told mrCoz that should something happen to him I would marry again. As I get older though it isn't as set in stone as it once was

It is a very interesting topic. My grandmother also remained single for decades after her husband died and was cherished by her family and friends. I had boyfriends from middle school until marriage. After divorce, I had 3 teens to care for and wasn't about to upset things even further by adding a new man to the mix. Then there was cancer and now that they're all grown, I'm perfectly happy having control of my time and space... I get up very early, work, come home to peace and quiet, choose what and when to eat, whether to do some activity or veg out, sleep when I want, nap if I want. It would take someone pretty special to get me to change my ways.
    prhoshay, Lizard and Cootie like this.
    Count your blessings!

For me, I was divorced when my youngest was 9 months old. I raised my kids and never dated. About 2 years after I lost my middle son, I guess I decided to see what else was out there in life. I went to my 35th high school reunion and ran into the guy I liked in the 3-5 grades. We hit it off and have been married for 9 months now. It's not always easy. I had to learn to compromise again. After all those years of making decisions by myself, now it's committee decision making. But, it is worth it.
    Lizard and Cootie like this.

I've been alone (not in a relationship) but not for very long. I've been alone while in a relationship (long distance relationship). And then alone while in a relationship (married but lonely b/c he was never really "there"). It seems I've always had long term relationships though (at least to me there were). First was from high school years to college (2 years), then from college through 1st marriage (7 years), then divorced for 9 months to 2nd marriage (2 years), right into my 3rd (current) relationship. We aren't married but we lived together for a year, then he went to Iraq for 9 months, then came back and we've been together for 11 years (in 2 weeks). I can safely say, I'd rather be with someone. Not just anyone but it doesn't have to be married to them. I don't think my SO and I will ever get married. I joke that he might ask me during bingo night at the nursing home. If we ever "break up", LOL, I am sure I'd chance it again. I feel like I am a much better person when I am giving love as well as receiving it. I like the nurturing aspect of it. I like my alone time, which I do get from him, but he gets his alone time as well b/c I like girls time too and that means going out or to my girlfriend's houses. Like last night was book club and tonight is craft night. We'll go out for dinner and dancing tomorrow night. We work together as a team to make our house nice, the yard alive and kept up, the dogs fed, happy, played with and healthy and we keep each other happy with the things we need and want. I don't think I would be happy not sharing all of that with someone if my SO and I weren't together anymore or if he was taken away suddenly/unexpectedly.

Very interesting question and yes, I guess the answer would be different for everyone.
    Lizard likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    I like being alone.
    I don't.

I think it's different if you're alone because you choose to be alone rather than if you're alone because no one wants to be with you.

I have been married almost 42 years and I can tell with assurance I will never marry again if and when something happens to mine. My husband says I would find someone and I told him I wasn't washing another mans dirty underwear. One is enough for me.
    prhoshay, Lil Bit, Lizard and 2 others like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I don't.

I think it's different if you're alone because you choose to be alone rather than if you're alone because no one wants to be with you.
    I agree. I have been there - I hope you find someone that appreciates you for who you are.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always felt that no one COMPLETES you. You have to complete yourself.
    just1paul likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread