+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5770Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I hope all of those with deep snow had help clearing your walkway. Are people able to get out and about yet?

We tried to heat the house with just wood logs in the fireplace before. OMG. Talk about work. We continually worked on keeping the fire going. You can't really sleep, because it will go out. AND the room doesn't get very warm, because the who house is so cold. Gas logs are much better.

Well, to be fair, there's a huge difference between a fireplace and a wood stove. With a fireplace, most of the heat goes up the chimney. Our area is all dug out, but there were a lot of school closings today closer to the coast. There were lots of stories on the news of residential roads not plowed yet, and the mayors/public workers pleading for patience. Some people are taking it into their own hands and using snow blowers to clear the streets.
    just1paul likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    With Valentine's Day rapidly approaching, I made SURE my Mr. Wonderful KNEW that the Shari's Berris that he sent me for Christmas were being offered with free shipping right now! Guess it remains to be seen if lightening strikes twice! I am drooling at the thought!

Their shipping charge is no joke!

I don't really care about Valentine's Day.....I just WANT the chocolate-dipped strawberries!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Is anyone going all out for Valentine's DAy? I have to reign it in at some point. You give to your sweetie, kids, parents, co-workers, etc. It can get to be expensive. I'm cutting back this year.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You can always buy a box of those elementary school Valentine's Day cards! One year, I gave out those, accompanied by 1 Hershey's Kiss to each of my important people!

Worked like a charm!!!

It's not about how much you spend....it's that you thought of them.
    Ellen and Hyper like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Is anyone going all out for Valentine's DAy? I have to reign it in at some point. You give to your sweetie, kids, parents, co-workers, etc. It can get to be expensive. I'm cutting back this year.
    Hubby gets my card, I hide it as he is usually going out of town. I treat to him to supper, but pizza night is every Friday night anyway The rest is way overboard I love love love my grandchildren- they know that every day, they don't need a card or anything else imho
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 02-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm counting the days/hours/minutes until this dreadful holiday is over.
    It puts unrealistic hopes on the men/women in couples, only to leave them disappointed or angry.
    It portrays unattached singles as losers.
    It starts both of these young by pushing it in grade school, only to either make kids feel like losers if they don't get as many valentines as someone else. Or to waste the time & money of the parents when the kids are forced to pass them out to everyone.

It's a retail holiday, nothing more.

I HATE it. Even when I was married or in relationships I hated it.

With that said, I do send cards to the grandchildren. Can't let them thing Grandma doesn't love them.
    pikachu likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm counting the days/hours/minutes until this dreadful holiday is over.
    It puts unrealistic hopes on the men/women in couples, only to leave them disappointed or angry.
    It portrays unattached singles as losers.
    It starts both of these young by pushing it in grade school, only to either make kids feel like losers if they don't get as many valentines as someone else. Or to waste the time & money of the parents when the kids are forced to pass them out to everyone.

It's a retail holiday, nothing more.

I HATE it. Even when I was married or in relationships I hated it.
    I have always treated it like any other day. married or single, I never put pressure on myself to even think V day was special( other than a retail thing, where roses cost double) Its like sending flowers to my mother on her birthday, I do that any day, I dont need a day. kwim?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

After 48 years, we still do something to recognize Valentine's Day, but not the traditional stuff. We don't even get cards anymore. Sometimes, if we're at a store where they sell cards, we pick one out, give it to the other, read them, then put them back.

This year, I got a tattoo "for Valentine's Day." We won't even be in the same state on Thursday evening, and I wouldn't go near a restaurant that night if we were together. I'm thinking we may go to 5 Guys for a burger on Wednesday instead.

Geez V-Day already!
    Hubby and I are still somewhat discombobulated with his recent surgery and all that goes with it.

Even during normal years, we don't do it up big anymore. A card, either bought (if they're not already picked over) or homemade (more fun). A nice (good steak or shrimp, special veggies, really awesome pizza) dinner, with a good wine, at home with a decadent take-out dessert from a local small-business bakery. And maybe a favorite movie. Maybe massages.

We don't do restaurants on V-Day anymore: we have to make reservations a month in advance, only to be rushed through the meal to make room for the next herd. Even flowers are often overpriced and less-than-fresh on the actual holiday; hubby usually surprises me with "just because" flowers on ordinary days.

I guess I should start working on a card. I have a fun app (Pic Collage) on my iPad that I can use to make something cute.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread