+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7282Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

How do people survive in winter without electricity? If they dont have a wood stove or fire place, they have no heat, and without heat, their water pipes will freeze and burst! I've heard some place wont have power for up to a week! How will they make it?

I can't imagine living in New England without a wood stove for back up. Some people rely on generators, some drain their pipes ahead of time and head to a relative's or shelter.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Glad to hear you've still got power, Gutmutter. Connecticut and Massachusetts got socked pretty bad. Shelton, CT got 40 inches!!! Holy Moly! We got a little over a foot here and thankfully did not lose any power. Just one county east, though, they got hit pretty hard with some communities getting 30 inches of snow! Wow!

I just chatted online with my daughter and they still have power, too. They are southwest of Boston. It is good to see that Gutmutter and Eastcoastmom are doing okay, too.
    Last edited by Cootie; 02-09-2013 at 11:58 AM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Glad to hear your daughter is safe and warm, Cootie.

I am glad to hear everyone is doing okay
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    How do people survive in winter without electricity? If they dont have a wood stove or fire place, they have no heat, and without heat, their water pipes will freeze and burst! I've heard some place wont have power for up to a week! How will they make it?
    Although I'm in the south, we have still suffered without power thru ice storms before. You try to keep the house as warm as possible with a gas fireplace if possible and if you have water that can be kept running, you keep a small stream running. That will keep the pipes from freezing since the water keeps moving.

If you can't keep the water streaming because you have a well that requires an electric pump, you must have already wrapped your pipes to prevent freezing.
    cablejockey likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And you dress in layers and put on a warm hat!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Remember the neighbor I gave wood and groceries to? He just did my whole driveway with his snow blower. Good karma all around.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

With Valentine's Day rapidly approaching, I made SURE my Mr. Wonderful KNEW that the Shari's Berris that he sent me for Christmas were being offered with free shipping right now! Guess it remains to be seen if lightening strikes twice! I am drooling at the thought!

Their shipping charge is no joke!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread