+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4498Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

I'm BACK!!!!

Hi all, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. My friends from Florida arrived on Tues last week and we stayed busy and then I've been sick, so this is my first day back at the FORT in a week.

I was very excited to have my friends up, but was kind of dreading Thanksgiving as I have cooked with Carl for the last couple of years and he is the friend that died in March. His wife and 6 and 9 year old came up, so we were all kind of feeling his loss. BUT his daughter stepped in and helped me cook and has such a natural talent for it, just like her dad. She did ALL the desserts with just supervision from me (Lambi, the pecan pie and chess pie were fabulous and she made them by herself) and she helped me with the stuffing, so it was like he was right there with me cooking. It was very special and I bought her her first cookbook and wrote a special message in it for her. She also cooked us breakfast one morning.

Anyway, the HIGHTLIGHT of the weekend, was we went to Chimney Rock, NC and I rappelled for the very first time. This has a LOT of significance for me because 1). a year ago at this time my health was very bad, I weighed 120 pounds MORE than I do now and 2) I am afraid of heights and most especially of coming down stairs or bleachers. I can go up, but coming down, I hang on for dear life. I have had several circumstances where I absolutely froze coming down a set of long stairs. I don't do escalators either. So to come down a 60 foot cliff on a rope was a HUGE thing for me. But I did it, it was fun and I want to do it again. And you don't know how GREAT I feel about conquering this. My husband said he didn't believe I would go through with it until he saw me take that first step backwards off the top of the cliff. He has rappelled many times and he went first and was on the bottom waiting for me. I had some trouble at first getting the footing and rythym, but quickly got into it and did GREAT. I can't believe I did it. I am still walking on air for this accomplishment which may not seem big to a lot of people, but if you really knew me, this is a BIG thing for me. My friend said she was glad she was there to see it as she never would have believed it otherwise and after I sent the pictures to my big brother, he called and I could tell he was really impressed as he's always treated me like the baby of the family that can't do anything right. He said, he'd never do anything like that, so that made me feel even better.

This truly was big for me. And its gone a LONG way in making me feel a LOT more self confident (not that I needed much help in that department, but its definetly a big boost). I don't know if stairs will still be a struggle for me, but I know I want to do this again (you don't see down, you see a rock wall 2 feet in front of your face). But after seeing people on TAR doing it who've never done it before, I thought: I could do that. And I did. Here is the proof.
    Sorry if this sounds like bragging (cause it is! ), but I'm pretty darn proud of myself for a 44 year old, fat, out of shape broad to come down a rope from 60 feet up!

BTW: that's my husband in the navy blue shirt and goatee. He was GREAT, very encouraging and very proud afterwards and wants to buy me my own rapelling equipment which I said I do NOT want for Christmas. It can wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MRD; 11-29-2006 at 08:48 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Glad to see you posting again. I was beginning to think you didn't love us anymore. Great photos - thanks for sharing them. I don't think I could do that (rappel, not share photos). You should be proud! Glad you're feeling better and btw - you look great!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Welcome back myrosiedog! That's awesome you rappelled! Did you try rock climbing as well? I've done it and it was awesome--climbing up definitely is harder than coming down (where you kind of get that freefalling liberation feel...ahhhhhhh), but it's a great workout.

BTW, you look fantastic in the photos. You look like you lost even more photos than in the last ones you posted. And myBOGIEdog is adorable, too!

Welcome back!

Laundry spot treatment: I NEED HELP!

Hey, do any of you know how to get spots out of clothes AFTER they've been washed and dried? I have a few shirts (casual and fairly durable--not fancy dry cleanable stuff) that must've gotten grease/food stains on them that I missed when I did the laundry. Now they're washed and dried and perfectly clean...but...you can see little round quarter size circles of where the spots were. Can these be removed, or do these just have to be me indoor/work clothes now? THANKS IN ADVANCE to all who share their wonderful tips!

Lois

Lois, I use a product call Goo Gone, which I get from Canadian Tire, which I know doesn't help anyone in the States, but it can likely be found at Home Depot. You just squirt a little on, let it sit for a few minutes, and then scrub with a little bit of soap. If the clothes have already been washed it may require a couple of squirts, with drying in between, but I generally found it be to effective.

Actually, now that I think about it, I picked it up in the Automotive section of CT, so if there's a place in your area that sells such manly sort of stuff, they might carry it. And yes, that's right - I'm such a sloppy eater that I require something strong enough to clean engine grease to get the food stains out of my clothes .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, I actually have Goo Gone (to get stickers off of things etc.) so I will try that tonight. I got mine at Home Depot or Lowe's, so it is readily available in the U.S. as well! THANKS SO MUCH!

Hey, do any of you know how to get spots out of clothes AFTER they've been washed and dried?
    Scissors
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2162295;
    Scissors
    Maybe I should've addressed this question just to the ladies! Good one, Newf!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Since you are about to have a baby...there is a product that I really believe in. It's called "Totally Toddler", and it is great for all kinds of spots. They made it with baby clothes in mind (tunnel vision), but it works on everything. When my son was a soft drinking nut (loved Big Red), he had several stains in his white shirts despite multiple washings, but I couldn't get rid of them until I used the "Totally Toddler". A friend of mine had a gravy stain on her white linen, holiday tablecloth for about 5 years, and couldn't get rid of it. She said she would always just place something over it when she had people in. She used the Totally Toddler, and it vanished! She was amazed...so was I. It is sold at Toys R Us in the baby section, last I saw, and you need to follow the directions as closely as possible, and wash your items in water as warm as your clothes will tolerate. You can save favorite baby clothes, as well as your own. I keep a jug on hand.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2162181;
    Hey, do any of you know how to get spots out of clothes AFTER they've been washed and dried? I have a few shirts (casual and fairly durable--not fancy dry cleanable stuff) that must've gotten grease/food stains on them that I missed when I did the laundry. Now they're washed and dried and perfectly clean...but...you can see little round quarter size circles of where the spots were. Can these be removed, or do these just have to be me indoor/work clothes now? THANKS IN ADVANCE to all who share their wonderful tips!

Lois
    it might not be spots you missed either if you use dryer softener sheets. Sometimes they cause stains like grease/oil

+ Reply to Thread