+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I have read that even if you get the flu, the symptoms are greatly reduced if you had the flu shot.

I have gotten a flu shot almost every year for over 20 years. One year that I didn't, I caught the flu in England. I got sick on the flight back and it was HORRIBLE. I was so sick, I couldn't drive home from the airport. I got a hotel room until I could arrange to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My neighbor came to my door yesterday and asked if he could borrow some wood from my wood pile because they've fallen on hard times. He's raising his grandson by himself after his wife and daughter were killed in a car accident when he was 2 weeks old. (The daughter was one of my dearest students - I had hoped at the time I could know her son when he was older and then discovered they lived across the street when I moved here!). The thing is, when I had that wood delivered last year, they delivered the wrong size - most of it is about 2" too long for my stove, which I don't use much anyway. But it's perfect for the neighbor's stove. I told him he was welcome to as much as he wanted and not to worry about paying me back. The universe works in mysterious ways.
    You are the best Gutmutter ... Random acts of kindness is what we all need and what we all need to practice.
    Wouldn't it be great if he had a chainsaw and could cut the wood in half so you could use some too.

I'm just glad to help. It must have taken a lot to come ask. I can't use it the way it is, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm going to buy some groceries and tell them that now that my kids are gone, I have too much. They're good people and I hate to think of them going through hard times.
    ClosetRTWatcher, Cootie and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, you are trying to make my eyes tear up, and doing a good job.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Gutmutter - I think we can all take a lesson from you. What a wonderful person you are!

prhoshay - You aren't the only one with tears in her eyes!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I'm not doing anything any of you wouldn't do in the same situation.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You're probably right, but people can be so prideful that you will NEVER know that they are going through hard times. That's not a negative thing; just a fact.

Things like that always remind me of a time in the 70s or 80s when little boy, about 12 years old, was begging for food outside a McDonald's. He was poorly dressed for the cold weather, and probably not very clean. Nobody acknowledged him as they came and went; he was found starved to death in his home on Thanksgiving Day. I've never forgotten that or gotten over that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm just glad to help. It must have taken a lot to come ask. I can't use it the way it is, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm going to buy some groceries and tell them that now that my kids are gone, I have too much. They're good people and I hate to think of them going through hard times.
    What a great thing to do. We never know how much we can impact other's lives. And it makes the giver feel so good too. I'm sure your kindness will not be forgotten.

It wasn't easy! I don't want to give them junk food, but I want to be able to use my diet as an excuse for wanting it out of the house. I ended up with white cheddar popcorn, real fruit poptarts, roast beef hash, Nutella, a bag of Oreos I had left over from a classroom project, and some actual leftover bags of blue corn chips, pretzles, and Funyuns. I'm about to go over now.
    Count your blessings!

Dear Gutmutter - That was a wonderful selfless thing you did. That's why you are special.

And now I have some news:

Hello World! I have had two hearing aids since Tuesday which are amazing. I have been missing out on so much. Listening to Trouble talking is wonderful. I must apologize to everyone I work with for having to put up with this. But we fixed it! I go in for adjustment next week. These new machines are terrifc, wireless, communicate with each other, adjustable with a bluetooth necklace that the Dr. puts around my neck. You change the volume one one aid the other responds also, there care be up to six programs that change at the touch of a button, for example for meetings it can cut the background noise way down and emphasize the voice. etc etc.. The best part was Trouble screaming sitting behind me when I was on the phone.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread