+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5928Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

The current flu shot is only considered effective about 62% of the time. From what I learned today, there are 3 strains out there right now, and you CAN get the flu more than once if another strain comes to visit you. Apparently, the big deal is diligent hand washing and keeping your hands away from your face, along with being vaccinated.

This has been bugging me......can the mail bring you disgusting flu germs?? I'm guessing 'YES', but I don't know. It is porous, and that bugs me! Another of my issues is that I have allergy problems that seem to go all year round, and I have to wait to see if it's the usual or if things are worsening.

I have had a horrible issue with that stomach virus....only once, thank God. If you get that you will also pray to die! That's just how out of contol you will be. I was in college...my boyfriend (a wonderful human being) had it for 2 days and it, readliy jumped off of him and onto me while I was trying to take care of him. I ended up begging to be taken to the infirmary (college)...and that is NOT me. Sick puppy. I was definitely in a "kill-me-now" mentality. We definitely had different experiences, and durations.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've had the flu twice in my life and I was in my 20's, but it still knocked me off my butt for over a week! I never want to feel that sick again, so I am flu shot getter, every fall.

I know more people that are sick than well right now. I get the shot just because I am so used to getting them from all the foreign countries I have been to. I probably didn't *need* a yellow fever shot but still don't want to tempt fate.
    cablejockey likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I hadn't heard about the three strains of flu. Is that usual? I'm a face-toucher. My eyes and nose always seem to itch.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    The current flu shot is only considered effective about 62% of the time. From what I learned today, there are 3 strains out there right now, and you CAN get the flu more than once if another strain comes to visit you. Apparently, the big deal is diligent hand washing and keeping your hands away from your face, along with being vaccinated.

This has been bugging me......can the mail bring you disgusting flu germs?? I'm guessing 'YES', but I don't know. It is porous, and that bugs me! Another of my issues is that I have allergy problems that seem to go all year round, and I have to wait to see if it's the usual or if things are worsening.

I have had a horrible issue with that stomach virus....only once, thank God. If you get that you will also pray to die! That's just how out of contol you will be. I was in college...my boyfriend (a wonderful human being) had it for 2 days and it, readliy jumped off of him and onto me while I was trying to take care of him. I ended up begging to be taken to the infirmary (college)...and that is NOT me. Sick puppy. I was definitely in a "kill-me-now" mentality. We definitely had different experiences, and durations.
    Viruses need a host, i.e. a warm body or medium. Without one, they die. By medium I mean something warm and moist....not something dry like paper. The odds of catching the flu from your mail are pretty much nil. Doesn't hurt to wash your hands after touching anything that's been handled by someone else.

I'd be more concerned about being out in public and touching things that have recently come into contact with other hands. You're hundreds of times more likely (at least) to get the flu from someone you encounter at the grocery store than from something in your mail.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

I don't know about the flu, but several years ago one of my co-workers came down with chicken pox in her late 20s. She said that no one that she hung out with currently had it, nor did any of their kids. But it was weird - her adult brother (in a neighboring state) was just getting over chicken pox. I asked her if she'd gotten any mail from him recently. Sure enough - he had mailed her a birthday card which, we assume, he had licked shut before mailing it to her. I will always believe that she got the chicken pox from her exposure to his having licked the envelope shut.

I get a flu shot every year. The one year I didn't, I got the flu. I have really bad lungs (thanks to the second-hand smoke from 5 family members in a smallish house), and am susceptible to respiratory issues. As a contract office worker in my recent years (as a retiree), I've developed the habit of swabbing down the phone, keyboard, and office work surfaces when I go to a new assignment. It seems to work - I'm rarely ill. When we cruise, I'm an absolute nut about washing - we sometimes even use Clorox wipes on the bathroom surfaces and doors as soon as we enter our cabin. Don't want to get sick on vacation!

I never get the flu shot and just getting over the flu that has lasted for a week. I don't think the shot would have prevented me from getting it since it is probably not the same strain but it was BAD. I've never been this sick in my life! I still have a pretty bad cough and its not going away but the worst is over. I hated being sick but my doctor said there was really no way to prevent it. He says I probably picked it up from the gym. There is no way to totally kill all the germs from all surfaces unless you use bleach. UGH. So good luck to you that think you won't get it. It's pretty bad this season.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I took a muscle relaxer last night, something I don't often take, but was made necessary due to extreme thigh pain. A few days ago I had to walk down 20 flights of stairs for a FALSE fire alarm and I tense up walking down stairs really something terrible. By yesterday, I could barely stand (how it got worse 2 days later baffles me). So I was zonked but had my alarm set for 9 a.m. and got up just fine. Just fine to a VM from the air conditioning/heating people at 7:30 a.m. My appointment was for 10:30 a.m., so now I have to reschedule. The kicker is the appointment was to do the annual cleaning of the heater, but I really needed them for the a/c as the blower went out yesterday. It's only about 75 in the house but the humidity is killer and the air needs to be circulated. It's not Australia hot, but it still pissed me off that they didn't stick to the appointed time, as they have for the past 5 years or so. Monday morning, their customer service people are going to get a call.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sounds like a really good idea to me! They need to know how their company is doing. If nobody complains, they can pretend that everything is OK.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My neighbor came to my door yesterday and asked if he could borrow some wood from my wood pile because they've fallen on hard times. He's raising his grandson by himself after his wife and daughter were killed in a car accident when he was 2 weeks old. (The daughter was one of my dearest students - I had hoped at the time I could know her son when he was older and then discovered they lived across the street when I moved here!). The thing is, when I had that wood delivered last year, they delivered the wrong size - most of it is about 2" too long for my stove, which I don't use much anyway. But it's perfect for the neighbor's stove. I told him he was welcome to as much as he wanted and not to worry about paying me back. The universe works in mysterious ways.
    prhoshay, Ellen, Lil Bit and 3 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread