+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5670Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm trying to use diet, exercise, and scientific research to convince my doctor I don't need to go on Lipitor for high cholesterol. One addition I'm advised to make is Metimucil. I got both the powder and some cinnamon wafers. I tried a wafer on the way home from the store. It was sandy and dry. I thought, "This would be better with a cup of tea." WRONG!!! I ended up with a mouthguard of gritty gel.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Chloesterol is so dangerous that, if your learned doctor says that it's what you need to do, the sooner....the better. Trust your doctor's advice, or switch doctors.

I have a family history of high cholesterol and triglycerides (do you know your family's history, in this regard?). No matter how athletically fit I got, how under control my weight was, how good my diet was...my cholesterol was out of control. We finally got me on a cholesterol med, and it has been uphill, all the way. I was blessed that the high triglyceride gene skipped me!

Unfortunately, everything is not within our control, no matter how hard we may try. Sometimes, we've just got to yell "Uncle!"
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I take 2000 milligrams of niacin every day, and it has brought my cholesterol to a level where the doctor has stopped hounding me about going back on Lipitor. If you decide to pursue this option:

- Talk to your doctor first.
    - Start slow (500 milligrams a day for a week, then add 500 more each week until you hit the max of 2000).
    - Be sure to get "Flush-Free" niacin to cut down on the possibility of hot flashes.

I could actually get Lipitor cheaper with my prescription plan, but I hate statins and really don't want to take them.

The niacin, along with eating healthier and exercising may be a good option, Gutmutter!

I was trying to give a general background, but of course I would go on meds if I had to. 2 blood tests ago, my cholesterol was so low, the doctor was gushing over it. This last one was borderline high (after serveral visits to my daughter's high fat restaurant) and a different doctor went straight to, "I'm putting you on Lipitor" without even asking me about my diet or exercise. I was the one who asked if I could try that first, and she agreed, giving me another blood test 3 months from now to check. I'll do some research on niacin. Thanks for the tip!
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I am taking 40 MG of Simvastatin once a day.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm trying to use diet, exercise, and scientific research to convince my doctor I don't need to go on Lipitor for high cholesterol. One addition I'm advised to make is Metimucil. I got both the powder and some cinnamon wafers. I tried a wafer on the way home from the store. It was sandy and dry. I thought, "This would be better with a cup of tea." WRONG!!! I ended up with a mouthguard of gritty gel.
    Been there Try mixing the Metimucil in OJ with pulp. I can't take it mixed in water.

I've read that there is OJ with plant sterols, which is another thing I'm supposed to add - so maybe those will go together.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The last few days I've been playing more of the Sims 3. I'm building up my family tree. The current family I'm looking after is a gay couple who have adopted four kids. One of the gays (called Tyler) has three siblings, and their parents were both singers. Their grandparents are the ones that started the family tree. So, so far it goes something like this..

Parents with three kids.

Kids grow up, parents die. Two of the kids become singers. The third has a less interesting job. Two of the kids never marry, but the third does, and has four kids. One of the other two kids has adopted a child, however, but still, stayed single.

The kid with four kids of his own, his wife, and his two siblings have all died. One of his four kids is now gay and married. They have adopted their own four kids. Three of whom are now teenagers. One of them is going to dedicate his life to world travel.

Wow, I could go on and on. It's a good game.

For the record, there are three countries they can travel to in the Sims 3. China, Egypt, and France. One of the teens is in China right now (traveled by himself).
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 01-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Wow! sounds really different from the Sims game my kids had when they were teens. I tried it, but had to give it up because it made me too anxious. You had one Sim and you had to feed him, earn money, keep him showered, entertained, etc. I had one go into a depression because he wasn't stimulated enough. Another one burned down his house because I wasn't keeping a close enough eye on the stove when he was cooking, but mostly it was just anxiety of trying to juggle all those balls in the air. It's amazing I raised 3 kids who are successful adults in real life.
    ClosetRTWatcher and JohnnyK like this.
    Count your blessings!

JohnnyK - I just started playing Sims3 and I'm addicted! It's very time consuming. I must have an older version though, because I haven't seen that my Sims can travel. It's a game my son had and was going to sell on a garage sale, but when I showed an interest in it, he gave it to me. I finally loaded it on my computer a couple of days ago.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread