+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

canuckinchile--Whewwww--Thanks! I feel so much better now......I was afraid everyone here would think I was an ole' heartless bitty......

Cyber Monday......Well, I guess Cyber Monday came and went without much a do. I didn't get any fantastic offers in my email yesterday. I was expecting something kinda special?????? Guess I'll just have to find the deals the hard way

Rattus--You are one disciplined gal.....and I hate those sob stories too.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Now for something completely different. I wasn't sure where to post this email I received yesterday.

Well the crooks have found a way to rob you of your gift card balance.
    If you buy Gift Cards from a display rack that has various store cards you may become a victim of theft. Crooks are now jotting down the card numbers in the store and then wait a few days and call to see how much of a balance THEY have on the card. Once they find the card is "activated", and then they go online and start shopping.

You may want to purchase your card from a customer service person, where they do not have the Gift Cards viewable to the public.

Please share this with all your family and friends...
    verified on snopes
    http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    And please try to patronize stores where their gift cards never lose stated value. I think the others are ripoffs, unless you can well afford to give these people money for nothing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I can't stand the "You are my best friend/angel/special person send this to ten people and the person who sent it to you, you will see why/be blessed"
    email. The people I love know I love them. I don't need a schmaltzy email written by a stranger to remind them.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

PGM35: Thanks for the info on the gift cards. I didn't know that could be done.! I got 3 gift cards from Sears from my sweetie. It has a bar code on the back, but no dollar amount value shown on the front. It came to a Sears catalogue pick up location. Each in a sealed envelope. I had to show ID and sign for each one. But they are like cash now. I think if I lost them, anyone could use them.

I like gift cards and gift certificates for restaurants.

MamaC: I've never used the BCC to send e-mails. I have to try that! I actually remember having to BCC typed pages with actual carbon copies.

rattus: I hate forwarding scary things or junk e-mail too, but for some reason, I usually feel really guilty when they stop at me. As if the sky were to fall suddenly.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2159467;
    MamaC: I've never used the BCC to send e-mails. I have to try that!
    I always do this, even when I'm sending jpgs or things to a bunch of family members 'cause I never know if one of the recipients might forward the email to other people. Everyone deserves a little bit of privacy!

The chain emails I hate are the ones that basically threaten you! You know--the ones that say stuff like, "If you don't forward this to 10 people within 24 hours, bad luck will come to you." WTF?! Gees! I delete those right away 'cause that's just downright rude. No one needs to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2158932;
    I have never sent on a chain letter, a warning of any sort (if there's a real problem, all my friends read the newspapers so they'll find out themselves), a sob story, or essentially anything that isn't laugh out loud funny, and I never will. The sob story's are my absolutely least favourite. It really irks me that people I work with think that there's any possibility at all that I'll be sucked in by this sentimental tripe. (I do contribute to the Foster Parent organization - I'm not completely heartless, I just don't like being manipulated).
    I'm with you again, Rattus! I even filter my mail so that I'll never even see the forwarded crap...I figure if it's that important, you'll send it to me, personally, not me and 25 or more of your best friends!
    In the past year, I've gotten three chain letters in the regular mail. I have no idea how they got my address, but guess what, they went straight in the trash!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2159491;
    ...In the past year, I've gotten three chain letters in the regular mail. I have no idea how they got my address, but guess what, they went straight in the trash!
    I had set up a chain letter thread a while ago so everyone could post one without feeling bad or guilty for not sending it on. Releasing it to the universe, so to speak. But I think that thread ended up in the trash !
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2159491;
    In the past year, I've gotten three chain letters in the regular mail. I have no idea how they got my address, but guess what, they went straight in the trash!
    Wow, now that is old school . I didn't realize that anyone went the old fashioned (and not free) way anymore.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2158932;
    (I'm not completely heartless, I just don't like being manipulated).
    That's it exactly! It's the manipulation. "Little Sammy walked a mile to school in bare feet. Bla bla sad madeup story, sappy ending. Please send this email to everyone you know to prove you love them!". (Thanks for dictating what I send to people you dont even know!) Plus it's just such awful writing, nearly always. Sappier than a greeting card. Why does anyone think people wanna read that stuff? I love actual emails, that someone took the time to write. I don't mind mass emails if it's people I know. But I don't want an email especially, that's to everyone in their address book. Sigh.

Newfherder, it's a pity but not uncommon I guess, that your brother got so huffy about your general post. Who wants chain letters? What I don't get is, adults perpetuating them. If they wouldn't send it by snail mail, what about email makes it more interesting? Last chain letter I got on paper, I was 12.

As for BCC etc., sometimes people remember to do that but it seems like they'll also slip up and forget. It isn't that hard to group people into folders so the recipients already have one another's email addys or at least, know each other. That avoids any mistakes. What I do is if/when I send a mass mail I send it a folder at a time from the address book. I just copy/paste the text each time. It's actually rare that a letter needs to be sent to every person in every group, anyway.

When I am put on the spot to give someone I don't know very well, my email, or if I know they haven't been online long etc., or are overly sentimental, then, I usually say "Please, no chain or forwarded mails". Sometimes I briefly state why. They always assure me they never ever do that. Within a week, they're at it. One woman sent dirty jokes, gross jokes, sappy stories, hoax mails, this all went on about a year easily. I hated all of it and tensed when I saw her name in the email list. She even emailed me a chain letter request to (snail) mail a dish towel set to the first name on the list, put my name on top and send the email to six people I knew.

Well, to keep peace, as she was a good friend of hubby's family - I mailed the 1st person their dish towel set, sent HER a set also because she told me she didn't get many if any in the chain (which shoulda told her not to keep the chain going, oh well) and I put my name on the list to be sporting (never got a dish towel of course, not that I wanted one - and who wants to end up with 36 of them?) - but I did NOT send the chain letter to anyone else I knew. After all they didn't owe her anything. They didn't even know her. This was all after she was told upfront a yr prior, how I feel about all this stuff and her assuring me she never does that. (And my not responding to her other spam.) And I'd have to open her emails just in case she'd tacked on a note or something.

Why is it that the worst spammers always get VERY huffy if you don't rave about their spam or if you break the chain?? Or if they send you a three line email once every blue moon, and you don't reply with a long letter or right away?

After all that...and more of the same...a new in law (also a prolific spammer) sent me a recipe chain. Since the first woman was into all this stuff, plus loved to cook, I sent her a copy, which requested one email to one person. She sent back a flat "no". (I even asked if she could send me the recipe and I'd send it to the next on the list myself, because I didn't want to let the in-law down. Again, "no".) And that "No" came after, and during, constant spam from her. (Oh, and she also had plenty of recipes she made up as she went, as well as cookbooks; they weren't secret or anything.)

After that I just began deleting her emails unread. She never wrote anything in them anyway and I can look up gross jokes online if I am inclined...which I'm decidedly not.

If anyone got through that long winded post I hope it made you feel better to read this knowing someone else has gone through this annoying hassle too...I'm not a grinch, I just can't believe the stuff adults do once they get online.

There was one exception. A very sweet aunt sent me a recipe chain once later too. She usually sends nice long email letters if she sends anything at all. She was very sweet and said she hated to ask, but. And she had never sent me any crap before. Lol. So I was glad to help out. I even sent two recipes. I just hate when people treat me like a catchall for spam. The "do this or have bad luck" is the worst. But again when I asked relatives not to send me that stuff, they took it personally.

I think a good rule of thumb is, if you would never send it in a paper envelope to someone's house, don't send it to their email inbox either. Email doesn't make anything more interesting.
    Last edited by Brandy; 11-29-2006 at 06:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread