+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5654Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

True story.

Many years ago, I worked for a large company as a secretary. We had an empty office on our floor, and the head honchos had moved in one of their buddies off of the penthouse floor because he had a reputation for frequent inappropriate comments to the young ladies who worked up there. The "good old boys" network used to get away with a lot of stuff they can't get away with nowadays. He didn't get fired - just moved to where he wouldn't embarrass them.

This guy was paid a VERY handsome salary, and did - literally - absolutely nothing all day. Came in late, long lunches, left early. Every afternoon, around 2:00, he would put his feet up on his desk, lean back in his chair, and start to read the Wall Street Journal . . . right in my line of vision. About 2:10, he would be sound asleep, newspaper across his chest, mouth wide open.

Around 2:12 the darn phone on his desk would ring and wake him up with such a start that he'd almost fall out of his chair.

It was better than an afternoon coffee break . . . the sheer pleasure of watching him jump.
    just1paul likes this.

I'd love to do the airhorn, but it would take me 45 minutes to get to work in mid-day traffic so that wouldn't work. I've done something like that before though. Once he was sleeping at his desk and I was particularly pissed at him for some reason, so I called the Accounting ladies and they slammed open the office door yelling about something and he screamed so loud the Purchasing department had to come investigate.

I do like the glitter idea. It's harmless, but it will be embarrassing and get the point across My door does have a lock but he also has a skeleton key and can get into any office in the building. He is the VP of IT so I suppose that made sense at one time. I dunno. I think HR and the housekeeper should have a skeleton key and that's it. I'm going to do the glitter for sure. The carpet is dark but it has flecks of red and blue so any dark glitter will fit right in. And it's Christmas so I can be like what, it's part of my decorations, get off the floor butthead.
    AZChristian likes this.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE report back on what happens. Your partners in crime deserve closure!!!!!

And in our company, only Facilities and Security have a key to everything. If someone from IT needs to enter a locked office, they have to contact Security, and someone will stay with them the entire time they're in there.

Just make sure you wait to sprinkle the glitter on a day that he's likely to nap there. Otherwise you'll be tracking it all over with your shoes.
    Might want to have a hand vac ready the next day in case he's starting to get paranoid and doesn't drop in.
    Count your blessings!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I've been sick for the last three days. Cold. Today even my ears feel plugged. I couldn't sleep well the last two nights. I don't want to drink tea because twice before when I was sick I tried drinking tea, but ended up throwing it up. Instead, I'm trying this hot water thing with lemon and honey. Hopefully this goes away soon.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Hope you feel better soon, Johnny. If you're still not well in a few days, go to the doctor. You might need antibiotics to kick it. Getting plenty of rest and staying hydrated will do you good no matter what you have.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    I'd love to do the airhorn, but it would take me 45 minutes to get to work in mid-day traffic so that wouldn't work. I've done something like that before though. Once he was sleeping at his desk and I was particularly pissed at him for some reason, so I called the Accounting ladies and they slammed open the office door yelling about something and he screamed so loud the Purchasing department had to come investigate.

I do like the glitter idea. It's harmless, but it will be embarrassing and get the point across My door does have a lock but he also has a skeleton key and can get into any office in the building. He is the VP of IT so I suppose that made sense at one time. I dunno. I think HR and the housekeeper should have a skeleton key and that's it. I'm going to do the glitter for sure. The carpet is dark but it has flecks of red and blue so any dark glitter will fit right in. And it's Christmas so I can be like what, it's part of my decorations, get off the floor butthead.
    You can count me in with those that think this is deeply creepy. I work in a technical field for a very well known company. The thought of any of my co-workers napping on the floor under their own desks is absolutely ludicrous. The thought of one of them going out of their way to nap under someone else's desk would easily be grounds for firing. Unless you have a server or some other shared hardware in your office that he would require access to when you were out, then he has no business being in your office. Especially given his history of creepy behavior. I would take the lock/key issue to HR and ask if they could help. Like AZChristian, in my company only security has keys to everything and you have to contact them to open a locked door. If we are locked out of our own office we have to call them and then show ID before they leave.

I generally get along with everyone. There has only been one exception during my entire adult work career. I was sharing an office with a man that I had not worked with before. At first I thought that he just had an abrasive personality and tried to blow it off. But then he started encroaching into my personal life. He wasn't stalking or anything, but his actions involved my husband and it was really really odd. I ended up talking to my boss and fortunately management was extremely responsive and moved me almost immediately. It was such a relief!!

I hate getting a cold, because they usually hit me so hard. I feel horrible and they seem to stay forever. And it doesn't matter what I do. I have taken those pills and use the spray in the nose that is supposed to ward it off if you take it in the early stages, but it has never worked for me. Then I will get a terrible cough that sounds like I'm dying and that lasts forever. Thank God, I only get one a couple of times per year. I have always been this way since I was a child. I've never had a slight cold. lol

I'll admit to sleeping in my cubicle at various jobs, but only during my lunch break. Sometimes I needed sleep more than food. At one job, I was all the way in the back corner of the office, so if I got under one side of my L-shaped desk, no one could see me unless they walked all the way back and into my work area. It was great. When I worked in an office where people would actually come into the restroom looking for me, I really missed that "hiding place" from the old office!

Keep us posted about what happens, burntbrat. I hope you're able to shame that creep into stopping what he's doing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I'm getting a bit better. I still cough and blow my nose, but my head's better, and I was able to sleep better the last two nights. I went outside today and the wind was strong, but it should be fine.

+ Reply to Thread