+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7294Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What is the first movie you can remember going to see? Would you believe that I was allowed to go see Psycho (Anthony Perkins)??? The only fright I suffered from that movie was hearing what I now know to be a pipe noise, and I ran, screaming/laughing (at the same time), down the steps! I had tears in my eyes, but I was OK when I got back to the living room where the family was hanging out. I was not a nightmare kind of kid, but after having seen that movie, I should have been! That pipe noise took me straight back to the shower scene with Janet Leigh. I love that movie, to this day!!
    I remember going to see The Fox and the Hound and ET. I want to say it might have been a double feature, but I don't remember for certain - it may have just been in the same time frame.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I remember my first movie being Bambi, and like Ellen it was at a drive-in. My sister and I were playing on a swingset they had their until the movie started. I was horrified when Bambi's mom was shot in the opening! We don't see it but it's implied well enough because the shot rings out and then Bambi is alone. It doesn't seem that bad to adults but it's pretty traumatic to kids.

I miss going to drive-ins. The last time I went to one was when my family visited Michigan, and it ended up being a disaster. We saw Gladiator and the mosquitos were so bad, I wasn't able to pay attention to the movie. It was too hot to keep the car windows up and we hadn't brought any mosquito repellant or Citronella like the locals in the cars around us, who obviously knew better.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Is anyone else out there not familiar with a "golden birthday", like I was? I had never even heard the term until it was used on a judge show today. I looked it up, and it is when your birthdate matches the actual day you were born; I was born on July 17, so my golden birthday was when I was 17 years old.....TOTALLY was deprived of that "special" celebration! My education was, evidently, insufficient! Rip off!!!!

I hate it when everybody knows something and I dont!!
    I was born on June 1st, so I think I was completely gypped of the chance to celebrate mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose View Post
    And what about the lucky few leap day babies that celebrate their 29th birthday on Feb 29 of a leap year? How special would THAT day be? Diamond? Platinum???
    I don't think this would be possible. Since the leap day happens every 4 years a person born on this day would only get leap days birthdays for ages that are multiples of 4 (4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, etc) so the closest they would get would be celebrating their 28th birthday on the 29th, they would have to celebrate the 29th birthday on the 28th. Sorry to be nit-picky, this post just got my gears turning!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose View Post
    Thanks to all of those who posted your thoughts on dealing with the decision to remain child-free. I knew there would be a mountain of wisdom on this forum.
    I'm late to this discussion. I personally have four kids, so I am far from childless. However, I totally respect anyone's decision to remain child-free. You do have a freedom that people with children simply do not have. My husband and I had our first child when we were pretty young, so now that our youngest is 8 (almost 20 years later) we are FINALLY at a point where we have more free time together rather than always dealing with kids. It is nice!!

Never had kids, never wanted kids, never regretted it. I'm 39 and my husband and I (together since 18, married at 23) started with the 'if it happens, it happens, but I really hope it doesn't happen so here's some things I can do about it' train for a while in the early marriage years. That quickly turned into "oh heck no" and at 26 we made the choice and he got snipped. We always figured if for some strange reason we changed our minds, we could adopt but that was strictly a choice to make, not a whoops mistake. We didn't tell anyone we had done that because it was OUR decision. Yes, we were young to make it but we both strongly felt if you didn't have the burning desire to be a parent, you maybe shouldn't be one. Looking back, it was one of the best decisions we ever made. I have not once regretted it. We have nieces and nephews on both sides and plenty of friends with kids. We LOVE kids, which seems to surprise people, we just don't want any of our own. Kids love us and their parents usually comment on what great parents we would have been and we know we would have - we just didn't want to.

Other people seem to have the hardest time with our decision. Um, who cares? I really hate the head tilt/sigh/pitying look some people give me when I say we don't have children. I have started replying to it with 'I know, that's how I felt about you when you said you had them." I hate that there is such a "rule" that you should live life in this order and do these things because you're supposed to and everyone else does. How about you live the life you want with kids and I live the one I want without them. Like I said, I LOVE kids. I don't want to be a parent, period. I am not selfish, I did not choose my career over my family (We have a great family, by the way. The kids are just hairier and have more legs than yours) I don't hate kids. I don't judge people who have kids, why is it fair to judge me for not.

Two things that crack me up about the whole thing and then I'll get off the soapbox. Our friends have three (great!) kids and were fighting one night. He made some crack about the kids, she replied "where would you be without those kids??" (disclaimer: he's a great dad, they are a great family) his reply: "I dunno, Key West with Mike and Jamie sounds good!!!"

And second is this gem that always cracks me up. No, it is NOT a shot against people who have kids, it is merely acknowledging how hard they can be sometimes! I can't figure out how to rename the link, but it is Ann Landers' poem about the "poor" childless couple.

the childfree-by-choice pages [potpourri]
    Ellen, Hyper and Rattus like this.
    Wag more, bark less

I just got back from the computer shop - what a great couple of guys! I was glad to meet them. They got the Google redirect and several other viruses off my computer and installed some protective ware on top of my Norton that had been turned off by the virus. They had some good advice for me, but I'm not likely to stop tooling around on the computer. Basically you can pick these things up anywhere. Thanks to everyone here who offered advice.

My first remembered movie was Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent terrified me. I remember my dad having to take me out of the theater.
    Count your blessings!

The first movie I remember seeing in the theatre was Lady and the Tramp. The next was the NUTTY Professor. I remember that color from when he changed.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I saw Cinderella in an old Fox Theater. I was three years old and my oldest brother was in charge of me, another brother and sister. He was 7 years old at the time. I think in this day and age my father would be arrested for dropping us off at a big theater by ourselves. He was pretty busy though because my mom was having another baby at the time and he figured we would be safe there while he drove to the hospital to see her. Those were different times. I loved the movie and still remember to this day how excited I was to be in that theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    Never had kids, never wanted kids, never regretted it. I have not once regretted it. We have nieces and nephews on both sides and plenty of friends with kids. We LOVE kids, which seems to surprise people, we just don't want any of our own. Kids love us and their parents usually comment on what great parents we would have been and we know we would have - we just didn't want to.

. Like I said, I LOVE kids. I don't want to be a parent, period. I am not selfish, I did not choose my career over my family (We have a great family, by the way. The kids are just hairier and have more legs than yours)
    The best part about being around human kids and I have had parents tell me this is that I GET TO GO HOME and they stay where they are.

To all of you that have human kids I take my hat off to you, it is just not me. My four legged furry ones are mine.

Timmy 1982-1991, Mona 1989-2007. Joey 1996-2011, Trouble 1999 - 13 1/2 yrs old adopted ME 7 months ago with her TWO teeth.

Timmy coffee table 4 months.jpgMona the LOOK.jpgJoey.jpgTrouble 11.17.12.jpg
    Last edited by just1paul; 11-29-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    pikachu, inthegarden and JohnnyK like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    I really hate the head tilt/sigh/pitying look some people give me when I say we don't have children. I have started replying to it with "I know, that's how I felt about you when you said you had them."
    Love this and am going to start using it.
    Jamie5632 and inthegarden like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The first movies that I can recall seeing in the theatre are The Sound of Music, Born Free and Doctor Dolittle.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread