+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6457Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    According to the Alzheimer's Association, there was ONE study, by a South Carolina physician, who has since had his license suspended. Also found a myth on the dental fillings too, FYI. These are all from the Alzheimer's Association's website: Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer's disease Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer's disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health. •A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer's disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal's Web site. •A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed. Myth 7: Silver dental fillings increase risk of Alzheimer's disease Reality: According to the best available scientific evidence, there is no relationship between silver dental fillings and Alzheimer's. The concern that there could be a link arose because "silver" fillings are made of an amalgam (mixture) that typically contains about 50 percent mercury, 35 percent silver and 15 percent tin. Mercury is a heavy metal that, in certain forms, is known to be toxic to the brain and other organs. Many scientists consider the studies below compelling evidence that dental amalgam is not a major risk factor for Alzheimer's. Public health agencies, including the FDA, the U.S. Public Health Service and the World Health Organization, endorse the continued use of amalgam as safe, strong, inexpensive material for dental restorations. •March 1991, the Dental Devices Panel of the FDA concluded there was no current evidence that amalgam poses any danger. •National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 1991 funded a study at the University of Kentucky to investigate the relationship between amalgam fillings and Alzheimer's. Analysis by University statisticians revealed no significant association between silver fillings and Alzheimer's. The abstract for this study is posted on the Journal of the American Dental Association Web site. •October 30, 2003, a New England Journal of Medicine article concluded that current evidence shows no connection between mercury-containing dental fillings and Alzheimer's or other neurological diseases. The abstract for this study is posted on the New England Journal of Medicine Web site.
    Dr. Donald Miller, cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery, writes that the aluminum that is added to the flu shot to promote an antibody response, is a neurotoxin that MAY cause Alzheimer's. Previously I read that aluminum could cause Alzheimer's, so I bought stainless steel Revere Ware. By the way, I've cooked with the Revere Ware for years, and it's like new. From what I've read recently, aluminum doesn't cause Alzheimer's... but after reading in the past that aluminum could cause Alzheimer's, I don't want to cook with aluminum cookware. Also, before I got a crown, I read a book about metals at the library. I looked to see which metals were the safest. I got the type of crown made with the safest metals... which includes gold, platinum and palladium.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    ^That's interesting... I honestly didn't realize this could be a big issue. I just looked up disposal options in my area; there may be different requirements and available options depending on where you live (putting in household trash, as long as it's a sealed plastic bag, may be ok for some). Also, I learned that green-tipped bulbs are considered "eco-friendly" and are ok to treat as regular trash, and some stores (like Lowe's) may offer a drop-off bin.
    Be sure you call ahead to find out if the store (Lowe's and Home Depot) have a bin to drop off the bulbs. I found that it varies from store to store.
    IMO, If the stores are going to sell these items, they should also have a disposal bin. And, as consumers, we should be responsible and use them.
    coltnlasma likes this.

I dropped & broke one of those one time when I was putting it in a lamp. I just cleaned up the mess & threw it away. I had no idea.
    I'm probably going to die a horrible mercury death now.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I asked, at a Lowe's or Home Depot, how to dispose of one of those CFU bulbs, and was told to just throw it away.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm planning my birthday trip to Vegas for next month. There will be lots of food!!! Going to the Gordon Ramsay Steakhouse AND the Top of the World at the Stratosphere. And ziplining in Boulder City and on Fremont Street. My outsides may be turning 66, but my spirit is still about 25.
    Lil Bit, just1paul, Hyper and 1 others like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm planning my birthday trip to Vegas for next month. There will be lots of food!!! Going to the Gordon Ramsay Steakhouse AND the Top of the World at the Stratosphere. And ziplining in Boulder City and on Fremont Street. My outsides may be turning 66, but my spirit is still about 25.
    Ziplining sounds like fun!
    just1paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Ziplining sounds like fun!
    It is - we've done 4 different ziplines so far, with more planned during future cruises.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A friend of mine, who retired from being a corporate attorney, dropped me a line to say he hated being retired and was joining the Peace Corps! He is now in the Middle East in Amman, Jordan. This just sounds so bizarre. Is this strange to anyone else, other than me? He is in his mid-60s. This just strikes me as a stupid move. I swear, he is as strange as my little inner voice had told me he is.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I can understand the "hated being retired" sentiment. I got bored. But I do contract work here in my cozy little corner of the world, exclusively for the company from which I retired. Gives me a professional and social outlet, I can say "no" if they offer an assignment I don't want, and the money goes for cruises and vacations. I would not take on something as challenging as the Peace Corps at this stage of my life.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Well, to each his own. Joining the Peace Corps doesn't sound like fun at any age to me. I'm glad there are some people who want to do it. I'm sure his help is appreciated there and I hope he finds the enjoyment he was looking for.

Maybe I'll feel differently when I get older and still want to feel useful and needed, and the idea of being a greeter at Walmart doesn't cut it for me.
    Last edited by pikachu; 11-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    cablejockey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread