+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #18291
    Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,834

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I need to think about what my career choice will be.

    I'm thinking about fortune telling. I'm doing it to someone right now.

  2. #18292
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,320

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    Do you have any links that we could connect to?
    Here is a very interesting article. It's called "Flu vaccine Healthy prevention or harmful chemicals?" The article mentions that neurons start disintegrating in the presence of mercury. http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/332642
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.

  3. #18293
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,355

    FORT Koffee Klatch

    Digital Journal hardly qualifies as a medical reference. I work with quite a few medical professionals and they all get flu shots. The flu shot doesn't cause the flu. Period. Anyone who doesn't mind getting sick or risking passing a virus to an immunocompromised person they may have contact with is certainly within their right to do so, but it is alarmist and misleading to claim that a flu shot is more dangerous than influenza & influenza-related illness.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  4. #18294
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,320

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I talked to someone who repairs computers at hospitals, who told me that he was required to get a flu shot. He said that if he didn't get the shot, he would have to wear a mask. Of course doctors and nurses who work for HMO's are probably required to get a flu shot. Also, I was given two mercury light bulbs at a fair. When I found out the complicated do-it-yourself clean up process to clean up a dropped mercury light bulb, I threw the light bulbs away. People aren't supposed to touch mercury or inhale mercury vapors! And, after I read about the harm of mercury/amalgam fillings, I had five cracked fillings replaced with white composite filling material. I have white composite fillings on the biting surfaces of my teeth. Mercury in fillings might, or might not, be harmful... but to be "safe," I had composite fillings.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-04-2012 at 01:41 AM.

  5. #18295
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I talked to someone who repairs computers at hospitals, who told me that he was required to get a flu shot. He said that if he didn't get the shot, he would have to wear a mask. Of course doctors and nurses who work for HMO's are probably required to get a flu shot. Also, I was given two mercury light bulbs at a fair. When I found out the complicated do-it-yourself clean up process to clean up a dropped mercury light bulb, I threw the light bulbs away. People aren't supposed to touch mercury or inhale mercury vapors! And, after I read about the harm of mercury/amalgam fillings, I had five cracked fillings replaced with white composite filling material. I have white composite fillings on the biting surfaces of my teeth. Mercury in fillings might, or might not, be harmful... but to be "safe," I had composite fillings.
    So instead of properly disposing of them you just threw them away? Your concern about this then does not extend to anyone else?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

  6. #18296
    FoRTer coltnlasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    ^That's interesting... I honestly didn't realize this could be a big issue. I just looked up disposal options in my area; there may be different requirements and available options depending on where you live (putting in household trash, as long as it's a sealed plastic bag, may be ok for some). Also, I learned that green-tipped bulbs are considered "eco-friendly" and are ok to treat as regular trash, and some stores (like Lowe's) may offer a drop-off bin.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 11-04-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    remember to play

  7. #18297
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I've read about studies that link mercury to Alzheimer's. Studies have found that Thimerosal, (a mercury-based preservative), accumulates in brain tissue, harms brain cells, disrupts immune function, and causes cancer. The vast majority of the flu shots administered in the US still contain Thimerosal, as they come from multi-dose vials.
    Isn't this the argument that was used for years claiming certain vaccines (or the mercury in them) led to autism in children? Until it was widely discredited years ago and found to go back to one lone study that was wrong? And yet today, there are STILL people out there who won't vaccinate their kids because they are afraid it will give them autism?!

  8. #18298
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I've read about studies that link mercury to Alzheimer's. Studies have found that Thimerosal, (a mercury-based preservative), accumulates in brain tissue, harms brain cells, disrupts immune function, and causes cancer. The vast majority of the flu shots administered in the US still contain Thimerosal, as they come from multi-dose vials.
    According to the Alzheimer's Association, there was ONE study, by a South Carolina physician, who has since had his license suspended. Also found a myth on the dental fillings too, FYI. These are all from the Alzheimer's Association's website:

    Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease

    Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.
    •A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal’s Web site.


    •A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed.


    Myth 7: Silver dental fillings increase risk of Alzheimer's disease

    Reality: According to the best available scientific evidence, there is no relationship between silver dental fillings and Alzheimer's. The concern that there could be a link arose because "silver" fillings are made of an amalgam (mixture) that typically contains about 50 percent mercury, 35 percent silver and 15 percent tin. Mercury is a heavy metal that, in certain forms, is known to be toxic to the brain and other organs.

    Many scientists consider the studies below compelling evidence that dental amalgam is not a major risk factor for Alzheimer's. Public health agencies, including the FDA, the U.S. Public Health Service and the World Health Organization, endorse the continued use of amalgam as safe, strong, inexpensive material for dental restorations.
    •March 1991, the Dental Devices Panel of the FDA concluded there was no current evidence that amalgam poses any danger.


    •National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 1991 funded a study at the University of Kentucky to investigate the relationship between amalgam fillings and Alzheimer's. Analysis by University statisticians revealed no significant association between silver fillings and Alzheimer's. The abstract for this study is posted on the Journal of the American Dental Association Web site.


    •October 30, 2003, a New England Journal of Medicine article concluded that current evidence shows no connection between mercury-containing dental fillings and Alzheimer's or other neurological diseases. The abstract for this study is posted on the New England Journal of Medicine Web site.

  9. #18299
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    ^That's interesting... I honestly didn't realize this could be a big issue. I just looked up disposal options in my area; there may be different requirements and available options depending on where you live (putting in household trash, as long as it's a sealed plastic bag, may be ok for some). Also, I learned that green-tipped bulbs are considered "eco-friendly" and are ok to treat as regular trash, and some stores (like Lowe's) may offer a drop-off bin.
    Here's a good link to the epa website. Recycling and Disposal After a CFL Burns Out | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA


    Another link for clean up Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

    The last section what if I can't clean up -- pretty much states no big deal......
    Last edited by just1paul; 11-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

  10. #18300
    FoRTer coltnlasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    ...The last section what if I can't clean up -- pretty much states no big deal......
    Okay, this makes me feel much better.
    just1paul likes this.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.