+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6458Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    So you got the flu after you got a flu shot? hmmm... Mercury is a preservative for the flu vaccine. Mercury is a toxin. My health is very important to me... which is why I won't get a flu shot.
    Do the 2012-2013 seasonal flu vaccines contain thimerosal?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several formulations of the seasonal flu vaccine, including multi-dose vials and single-dose units. (See Table of Approved Influenza Vaccines for the U.S. 2012–2013 Season.) Since seasonal influenza vaccine is produced in large quantities for annual immunization campaigns, some of the vaccine is produced in multi-dose vials, and contains thimerosal to safeguard against possible contamination of the vial once it is opened.

The single-dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single-dose units and does not contain thimerosal.

Is thimerosal being used in other vaccines?

Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children younger than 6 years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts of thimerosal, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine. The most recent and rigorous scientific research does not support the argument that thimerosal-containing vaccines are harmful. However, CDC and FDA continually evaluate new scientific information about the safety of vaccines.

Is thimerosal in vaccines safe?

Yes. There is a large body of scientific evidence on the safety of thimerosal. Data from several studies show the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines do not cause harm, and are only associated with minor local injection site reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site.

Three U.S. health agencies (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Institutes of Health (NIH)) have reviewed the published research on thimerosal and found it to be a safe product to use in vaccines. Three independent organizations [The National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)] reviewed the published research and also found thimerosal to be a safe product to use in vaccines. The medical community supports the use of thimerosal in influenza vaccines to protect against potential bacterial contamination of multi-dose vials.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions & Answers - Thimerosal and 2012-2013 Seasonal Flu Vaccines
    prhoshay, Lil Bit and inthegarden like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Flu shots don't innoculate for ALL strains of flu....just the ones thought most prevalent for the season so....yes....you can still get a strain of flu. I do not feel betrayed! Stuff happens. It is not a panacea.

Life should be so simple.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When people offer me a pen to sign something, I always tell them "I don't want your ol' germy pen!" They usually laugh, right after saying, "Oh.....Ok!".....I walk in with my pen in my hand.

I don't play those psychological head games with myself, like buying "preventatives", I just wash my hands a lot, when dealing with the public and try to be mindful of keeping my hands/fingers away from my eyes and nose! (And Use My Netti Pot When I Get Home!)
    I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you! I agree. I carry my own pen, hand wipes and hand sanitizer. Don't use public restrooms unless it's a have to situation and I wipe down my cart handle at the store. I avoid shaking hands with people in public and when I get home I wash my hands. I know I can't be germ free but this time of year I'm very careful.
    I was careless several years ago and caught the flu during a cold winter. I still had to be outside twice a day, caring for the animals and I was miserable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What I know is that we don't get flus and colds from cold weather, even though we've been told that FOREVER, but when we contract a virus from other people. Being indoors because of the cold weather tends to encourage virus exchange! What a drag!
    just1paul and inthegarden like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I've read about studies that link mercury to Alzheimer's. Studies have found that Thimerosal, (a mercury-based preservative), accumulates in brain tissue, harms brain cells, disrupts immune function, and causes cancer. The vast majority of the flu shots administered in the US still contain Thimerosal, as they come from multi-dose vials.

The ones I get are single dose
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I've read about studies that link mercury to Alzheimer's. Studies have found that Thimerosal, (a mercury-based preservative), accumulates in brain tissue, harms brain cells, disrupts immune function, and causes cancer. The vast majority of the flu shots administered in the US still contain Thimerosal, as they come from multi-dose vials.
    Do you have any links that we could connect to?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

From the Alzheimer's Organization Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association :
    Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease
    Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.

•A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal’s Web site.

•A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed
    And because I care about my health, I get a flu shot every year - NOW. Throughout the course of my life, the flu has led to pneumonia three times, complete and permanent hearing loss in one ear, and a permanent loss of my sense of smell.
    Lil Bit and canuckinchile like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Staten Island and Breezy Point in Queens look like bombs were dropped there with the wind, water and fire devastation -- it is just terrible.
    I read an interview with Theo Rossi, who plays Juice on Sons of Anarchy, and he's from Staten Island. He said that the devastation is SO much worse than we're seeing on TV. He told some stories that were just heartbreaking. He also said that he's been trying to get back to CA for work and has been unable. He finally got a flight out and no one would take him to JFK. Not a lot of cabs running and if people have gas, they don't want to use it taking someone to the airport.

I spoke with someone at one of the distributors I buy from for my business and they're in Brooklyn. At least half of their employees can't get to work because of the subway issues. Many of the employees who could drive aren't able to because they're only allowing cars with three or more people on the streets. If employees aren't able to carpool in to work, then they can't go. This company does have power and phones now, although they only had one computer for a day or two. Lots of extension cords all over the office and the post office refused to pick up shipments that needed to go out, but every person I've spoken with has been so upbeat and KIND. I want my orders, but I understand why they're not here yet. Still, these people working so hard to get everything back to normal. I've had three calls from them in four days. Just incredible. If I wasn't already a loyal customer, this would have made me one.

I still feel like I have to apologize for the beautiful weather out here in CA. It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow and Monday. I'm sitting here wondering if I'll have enough warm days left for my last tomatoes and peppers to ripen. It's sort of surreal.

I'm glad we've heard from our members in the affected areas. Even though we don't "know" each other, you've been on my mind these past days.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Critical, parts of Staten Island look like a war zone. Both my husband's brother and his sister live in Staten Island with their families. One is still waiting for power to return but thankfully they suffered only power loss. My s.i.l. is a woman of many talents and has posted photos of some of the devastation there on her facebook page. It is truly heartbreaking. Her friend, who is deaf, lost her entire home. Rather than go to a shelter, where she might not be able to communicate, she is staying with my s.i.l., who interprets for the deaf at a college in Staten Island. My son lives and works in Brooklyn and his subway line is not running nor are any buses to work. Many folks there don't have a car because of population density, alternate side of the street parking, and lack of parking availability. Fortunately, he is young and healthy, and has been biking it to work. Many people don't have that choice.

I've never been to California but I don't begrudge you your sunny weather. After all, your state has its share of inclement weather with earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires. I am a NYC born gal and Long Island raised and am used to the four seasons. I do love it here.

Gutmutter and chrisg--- what kindhearted and lovely women you are. Your posts have truly touched me.

+ Reply to Thread