+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6246Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thanks for the update, Baby's Breath. Glad to hear ECM is alright, and hope to see her posting here soon.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Oh you are so welcome, inthegarden, angelic, and others. She needs our prayers. I just heard from her again and it sounds like retreating to her summer home is not an option, as there is damage there, too.

Poor lady has her hands full, but from what I hear her hubby is quite creative and therefore, she will be getting a hot shower today!
    KatesMom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Oh you are so welcome, inthegarden, angelic, and others. She needs our prayers. I just heard from her again and it sounds like retreating to her summer home is not an option, as there is damage there, too.

Poor lady has her hands full, but from what I hear her hubby is quite creative and therefore, she will be getting a hot shower today!
    A hot shower is going to feel really good to her. I am happy for her, its always the little things in life that we miss
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Has anyone had the new flu shot that is not injected into the muscle, only the first few layers of the dermis? Got one yesterday, and it is really different. Usually, by my second day with the IM shot, my arm is sore as heck but, today, I barely notice where it was given. I was expecting to still be miserable. The med still stings a little when it goes in, and I'm a good one for saying "Ow!" anyway, but it is a whole different experence. Won't say it's "painfree", but it is definitely an improvement.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks, Baby's Breath for letting everyone know we are okay. We were without power from late Monday afternoon to just about 90 minutes ago. I count myself as extremely blessed because we suffered no damages except loss of electricity, heat, and hot water. Cell phone coverage was disastrous. My land line is FIOS so when the electric and cable went out, so did our phone. All I had was the cell phone to keep connected and that was just not doing the trick. Fortunately, I had gassed up the car prior to the hurricane and was staying put. Hubby works a five minutes drive so he did not need fuel. As I told Baby's Breath, my husband is quite ingenious and by day two had improvised a way to power the fridge. He used a 12 volt inverter and connected it to his GMC truck's alternator, which was idling. Somehow this converts to 110 AC current....don't ask me how. So, we did not have spoiled food. Cold showers were not fun, but hey, what can you do? By day 4 he had somehow disconnected the circuit to the gas heat and used this same inverter thing a ma bob to power the gas furnace and give us hot water. I was luxuriating in the shower for far too long yesterday. All this running on the alternator of a GMC pickup. God Bless GMC and God bless the out of state utility workers who came to our aid. LIPA, our Long Island utility gets an F from me. A very big problem that many of us here on Long Island are facing are gas shortages. The stations may have gas but don't have the electricity to pump. The few stations around here that do have gas and power to pump, have lines that are unbelievably long. Some folks are waiting three hours or longer to fuel up. My husband's everyday car is small and economical with fuel but his large pickup runs on diesel. This morning he left the home at 6 am to try to find a station that had diesel. Even with the truck idling for 12 hours a day (we shut it off at night) he had barely used a half a tank of diesel fuel. So, he pulls into a local station which normally sells diesel (not all stations do around here), and saw a yellow tape meaning they have no fuel. He inquired inside the convenience store of the station and the attendant said "sure, we have diesel." So, he pulls up to the diesel pump and takes out his gas cans to fill up. Pandemonium ensued. People just driving by on the main road thought that gas was available and started driving into the station. Hubby kept saying "No, this is diesel fuel, not gas. There is no gas." I felt sorry for the commotion he caused. But like I said, I feel extremely fortunate that we suffered no damages. I personally know several people who lost contents of their home as well as another who lost her entire home. It's so sad all around.

Gutmutter, glad you were unscathed.
    Photobabe and Chrisg, glad you are safe and sound.

It's good to be back.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

How wonderful that your husband is so handy. We'd have been driving out of town to find a hotel, because neither of us would have known how to do what your husband did!

How did you feel about Mayor Bloomberg insisting that the marathon was going to go on - until EVERYONE told him what a bad idea it was? I was dumbfounded when he said, "It went on after 9/11, and brought the people together." Um, maybe . . . but that was TWO MONTHS after the tragedy, not 6 days. I'm glad that something got through to him.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

AZChristian, getting a hotel/motel wasn't really an option for us because entire communities were being evacuated and many of those people were looking for a room rather than high tail it to a shelter. Plus, we've never been in a hotel/motel with our 70 pound collie mix and there are very few places around here that are pet friendly. The first two nights it wasn't bad as the temperatures were mild but Wednesday night I was shivering.

I was more or less unaware of the controversy surrounding the race b/c I was in my own little coccoon/bubble without internet or TV. I did get the paper but must have missed the news about the race. I think Mayor Bloomberg should have cancelled it much sooner. Resources should not have been diverted for the race, although I read today he said they wouldn't. Staten Island, the least populated borough, has suffered the most deaths so far. They are still finding bodies so I don't think a race around our devastated boroughs would be a good thing. I'm sure all the racers are disappointed but it was ridiculous to wait until the last minute to cancel, imo.

I’m so glad you got power back, ECM, I was just prepping my boyfriend this afternoon to send him out on a mission to get you and your DH if you did not regain power soon and drop you at his apartment on the Upper West Side where we have some other friends staying too. The estimated time for restoration in lower Manhattan is still Sunday at the earliest, I think, so I am back in CT and my boyfriend came here because there is a really difficult dynamic in the city right now, almost a world of the haves and have nots developing that is overwhelming because it is difficult to know what to try and do to help since the scope is so large.

And, I love Mayor Bloomberg, but empathy is not always his strongest suit. There actually were things that went on in the city not long at all after 9/11, and ECM and I both lost family members then so that is kind of a blur, but I do remember Yankees games going on going on and thinking that my Uncle loved the Yankees so I found that fitting. Right now, though, there are so many people struggling under such difficult conditions in so many parts of the city that it seems inappropriate to hold the marathon until after things stabilize much more. Staten Island and Breezy Point in Queens look like bombs were dropped there with the wind, water and fire devastation -- it is just terrible.

And one of the saddest stories I have heard is about a mother and her two sons out on Staten Island where she knocked on someone’s door to try and get shelter for herself and her little boys and apparently the guy who was home would not open the door and the boys ended up being swept away in the storm surge and their bodies were recovered yesterday, I think. It just saddens me so deeply that people would not extend themselves to the wider community in such a dire time. I know there must be countless examples of people pulling together to counter that but I worry about society increasingly devolving into a ‘me and mine’ mentality. It is very depressing.

On a positive note, though, I knew I could come here the morning of the storm and find someone like Gut, who is such the heart and soul of the FoRT community, to chat with and share my anxiety. It takes people with big hearts who are willing to extend themselves beyond their immediate circle to build a community of caring and I am very grateful that exists at FoRT because it really does give me hope and is a wonderful feeling to come here and find that. And I am very glad that, at least in the FoRT community, things seem to be stabilizing for everyone affected by the storm. And hopefully some comfort will extend, as much as it can, to those more deeply affected soon.
    Cootie, inthegarden and 1dog2kids like this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Has anyone had the new flu shot that is not injected into the muscle, only the first few layers of the dermis? Got one yesterday, and it is really different. Usually, by my second day with the IM shot, my arm is sore as heck but, today, I barely notice where it was given. I was expecting to still be miserable. The med still stings a little when it goes in, and I'm a good one for saying "Ow!" anyway, but it is a whole different experence. Won't say it's "painfree", but it is definitely an improvement.
    Shay, you have the best medical related stories. I haven't heard anything about it but maybe it is an advancement to cause less discomfort? Sounds good because I have a total fear of needles.

Oh, and power is back on in many buildings in Chelsea but not mine because we sustained some serious water damage. I took a big nap after work today because I haven't been really sleeping and this is first place I came since I hadn't checked in here today. And AC and ECM were the first to tell me about the marathon being cancelled because Mayor Bloomberg was insisting it was still going on this afternoon. Christian is always informing me about things, what would I do without you. Thanks for the update, guys.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    And one of the saddest stories I have heard is about a mother and her two sons out on Staten Island where she knocked on someone's door to try and get shelter for herself and her little boys and apparently the guy who was home would not open the door and the boys ended up being swept away in the storm surge and their bodies were recovered yesterday, I think. It just saddens me so deeply that people would not extend themselves to the wider community in such a dire time. I know there must be countless examples of people pulling together to counter that but I worry about society increasingly devolving into a 'me and mine' mentality. It is very depressing. .
    I read that the woman had been holding on to her sons in her car. She lost hold of her sons when her car flipped over. She then swam to save herself. In one report I read that she tried to get someone to help find her sons. No one would open their door for her, so she spent the storm huddled in a doorway. It's a very sad story: someone should have let the woman into their house. Some people are selfish while others are helpful: I think that's how it has always been. Some helpful people can be found in the unlikeliest of places... while many who are "supposed" to be helfpul, can be selfish.

+ Reply to Thread