+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6582Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Feeling a little guilty that everyone around us has trees down/no power, but we've lucked out so far. Still a day of rain and wind to get through today, so not undoing any prep work yet. We're on our second day of no school. I called it on Friday and everyone pooh-poohed me.
    Count your blessings!

I've got good friends in DC and southern MD, so I've been watching the reports about that area and worrying.

On a purely selfish level, Sandy is affecting my business because several of my suppliers are in MD and NY and I can't get my orders. Yes, totally shallow, but I can't help it

I feel really guilty that the weather is so nice out here in CA. I still have some cherry tomatoes and a bell pepper that could use a bit more sun to ripen and I just might get it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

It's close to 90 and really sunny here in AZ today. I'm originally from Baltimore and have friends there still whom I'm keeping track of via FB. It's scary and sad. And I share your guilty feelings.

Don't feel guilty guys. CA has earthquakes and AZ has excessive heat (supposedly dry heat, I know) so every part of the country has weather issues. It was really hard seeing my neighborhood in Chelsea under water, though, and the devastation to New Jersey and along the Long Island Sound in CT, and probably LI, is shocking. Glad to hear everyone here made it through OK. I am going back to NYC in the morning to see what Chelsea and the rest of lower Manhattan looks like.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    . . . AZ has excessive heat (supposedly dry heat, I know) . . .
    When I comment on the heat here to people elsewhere, they often respond, "but it's a DRY heat, right?" My comeback, traditionally, is "So is your oven. Do you want to live in there?" LOL.
    dagwood, Ellen, Lil Bit and 3 others like this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I feel really bad for everyone without power after Sandy; it's hard to wrap my brain around it getting cold after a big storm like that. I know there are millions of people affected, but I'm particularly worried for my friend's nearly 90 year old parents without power in NJ. Their house is fine and they have a fireplace, but they're so disconnected from the news cycle they went out this morning to try to find an open diner, meanwhile there were curfews and major road closures they didn't know about.

The other thing that amazes me about the storm is how fast it was moving. Usually it's a slow 6 to 8 MPH approach, at least for Gulf hurricanes, and it's a slow march to impending doom. That thing was moving at nearly 30 MPH on approach. I wonder if that helped any...get it out of the water and cut the time it lingered and number of high tide cycles.

Good luck to all of you in the NE. Stay safe and warm!

That's terrible about your friend's parents, PG. Could they go to one of the shelters? I know older people are usually not that flexible about that sort of thing but it is only going to be in about the high forties in the Tri-State area tonight and I just checked the forecast and it is supposed to get progressively colder at night throughout the rest of the week which will increase hardship if they don't get their power back.

Here is the link to the NJ Office of Emergency Management which has a coordinator for each county. Hopefully one of the coordinators can provide information about shelters where they could spend the night or at least get a hot meal and maybe even send someone out to get them if the roads they are familiar with are closed. And, if they are reluctant, maybe your friend could entice them by telling them that they might even have some of that great NJ Taylor Ham stocked at some of the shelters which would be just like going to the diner. Let us know.

New Jersey Office of Emergency Management
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Hey chrisg, thanks for checking in. Sorry you had to be evacuated from your neighborhood in NYC. So far we are sitting tight. The winds and rain are picking up. Power is still on, thank goodness. The worst should be around 8 pm to around 3 am tomorrow so we will just have to sit tight. I invited my husband's cousin to come here with her husband and 4 year old if they evacuate her area. She is about a 20 minute drive away and just slightly south of us. She said she will accept the invitation if they need to leave. Hopefully I will still have power if she comes. Stay safe, everyone in Sandy's path!
    How did you make out, ECM? Did you lose your power at all and did your husband's cousin come? Let us know if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    We're on our second day of no school. I called it on Friday and everyone pooh-poohed me.
    Glad you made out well, Gut. I would bet no school for Wednesday either, even for MA. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    When I comment on the heat here to people elsewhere, they often respond, "but it's a DRY heat, right?" My comeback, traditionally, is "So is your oven. Do you want to live in there?" LOL.
    Years ago, Garry Shandling had a bit in his stand-up routine about moving his mom to AZ and how people would talk about the heat and say "But it's a dry heat." His response? "So is a blow torch."

As a native Californian, I have to say, earthquakes are nothing. They happen very rarely and there's no notice, so you can't prepare (aside from having some supplies set aside and making sure you have candles and matches and that kind of thing), which means worrying about them is sort of silly.
    dagwood and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

How did you make out, ECM? Did you lose your power at all and did your husband's cousin come? Let us know if you get a chance.
    I was wondering about ECM as well chrisg. I hope she's okay.
    chrisg likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread