+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4502Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I liked George Takei on Facebook and I'm glad I did. He posts often and seems to like sharing amusing photographs with us.
    I love Takei's posts and George Takei in general for so many reasons.
    I'm lucky to live in San Diego and to have had the opportunity to see the very first performance of his play, Allegiance: A New American Musical at the Old Globe Theater in Balboa Park. This play teaches, in a very moving and effective way, a disturbing and critical aspect of U.S. history which should have been taught in history classes, but, more often than not, is simply ignored or quickly glossed over.
    The Show - Allegiance
    Critical likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I figured it was about the Japanese internment when you mentioned American history. I do remember learning about it, albeit, not in depth. My children did learn about it in their history classes as well. Truly a sad period in our American history. I love George Takei's posts on facebook as well.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just rescued a bunch more stuff being thrown out by another section at work. There were several boxes heaped by the photocopier marked "Trash" so I looked through them to see if there was anything worth keeping. I found:

A stapler
    A staple puller
    A set of metal bookends
    Stackable plastic shelves
    Interoffice envelopes with only a name or two on them
    An open ream of copier paper
    About 20 or 30 sheets of legal-sized paper
    An unopened canister of Purell sanitizing wipes
    Pendaflex files and labels to go with them
    A few mouse pads
    A wrist protector strip to rest your hands on while typing on your keyboard to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome

There was so much waste, I went to the bureau chief's office and spoke to her secretary, suggesting that she send a memo out that when offices are throwing stuff out, they should put reusable items (like the bookends, stapler, extra binders and paper, etc) in the shared storage closet so anyone in our building in need of those items can take them. She thought it was a good idea and came out to look through the stuff herself, taking a bunch of unused oversized envelopes.

It burns me up when people are so wasteful! Every extra penny spent on supplies cuts into our department's total budget, leaving less over for us to possibly get raises. And the person throwing this stuff out was a supervisor! He's sure not setting a good example for the people in his section.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-22-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Pikachu, I couldn't agree more! I have always been careful to not waste, but over the last couple of years, I have really gotten super focused on recycling and repurposing. I never put anything into a waste basket before asking myself, what can this be used for now. It's amazing how creative thinking can save you money.

Years ago, I worked a temp job at PricewaterhouseCoopers and was shocked at what they threw away. I had come from a job where the budget was so tight that we stapled hanging files back over the metal supports over and over again. This department was moving and they had me boxing up all of their files for the move. They were just throwing out almost brand new hanging files. They laughed when I asked if they wanted those boxed up for the new office too. Why would they want them? They'll just use new ones.

At that same job, they had a HUGE - like 12 feet tall - balloon sculpture in their lobby in honor of new sales reps of some such nonsense.....you know, because grown adults looooove balloon sculptures. It must have cost a fortune. These weren't balloons you'd buy at a party store. I've never seen anything like it - they were painted and woven through each other. When I commented on it, one of the admins said I could have it if I wanted, like I a) would want that and b) had anywhere to put it. I offered that maybe a local children's hospital would like to have it and she actually laughed, like that was a ridiculous idea. They probably just popped the balloons and threw them out.

I liked my supervisor at that job, but I wasn't sad to leave. I found the waste - and there was a lot more than just those two examples - kind of depressing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think I might be playing hooky tomorrow. I've been having headaches on and off for the past few weeks and they were particularly bad yesterday and today. I thought yesterday my headache was from the hairspray I was wearing. I so infrequently use hairspray that it's been years since I bought it and I forgot when a got a new can recently to make sure it was unscented. However, today I'm not wearing any and I still have a headache. I was up too late last night so that might have something to do with it.

I'll have to see how I feel in the morning. If I have another migraine, I think I'll just take the day off. I have plenty of sick leave and annual leave so I'm not worried about using up my time.

I really need to start cracking down on getting off the computer at a decent hour at night so I can get enough sleep. I was playing games until 1:30 AM last night so by the time I took my bath and went to bed, it was probably 2 or 2:30. I'm too old to stay up that late when I have to get up early!
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

The company I work for has a department called "Investment Recovery." If there are any supplies or obsolete equipment, we ship it over to them. They maintain a warehouse of things that the company itself might still use, or they hold annual auctions of the obsolete stuff so it can be used by companies that specialize in "parting out" old equipment. They have a space on our company internal website. Shucks, a few months ago, they even had a REFRIGERATOR that any requesting department could have for free.

Much better than just throwing things away!

CCL

^ It's not hooky if you need to take it off to feel better. So feel better, pikachu.
    prhoshay likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yes, feel better pikachu. I suffer with migraines now and then, not fun .If you have headache the computer doesn't help. Take a break, and rest up
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I'm doing better on Facebook now. 18 friends and I am on often. Is it okay for members on here to add each other on there?
    just1paul and Eastcoastmom like this.

+ Reply to Thread