+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6921Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

The thermostat should be set wherever your body lets you know it likes it! I enjoy being comfortable wearing my favorite flannel shirts indoors, that way it's cool enough, but I'm comfy. It's all about individual tastes and preferences. Polling for opinions, on something like this, seems odd to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I live in Houston and we're pretty acclimated to the heat. So in the summer the thermostat is set at 76-78 and in the winter it's at 72. If it was any lower than that in the winter I don't think I'd be able to pull myself out of bed. Ideally I'd like it back up to 76 in the winter but $$ prevents that. I realize, however, that these settings make my mother sweat just thinking about them.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wish I could set my thermostat where it feels comfortable but I have to take into consideration my electric bill. I can put on more layers of clothes or get under the blankets if it's too cold instead of turning the heat up. The past few winters, I've used a space heater instead of running the main heater. Since I live alone, I only need to heat the room I'm in, not my whole place, so that saves a little energy.

As a standard, in the winter I set my thermostat at 21C (69.8F) in the evening, 16C (60.8F) when we go to bed, and 14C (57.2F) during the day when we're not home. However, a couple of years ago I put up some antique curtain rods and curtain across both doors to the living room, much as they do in old English country homes, and use an oil space heater to keep the one room warm. Saves a lot of money.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Thanks for the input. It helps.

I can make myself comfortable anywhere from 68 to 73 with heat. For some reason, I find that first thing in the morning, I'm rather warm and can't stand it to be stuffy. My cousin, whom I've been helping, likes the heat on 77! I really can't take it. I covered the heat vents in the part of the house I was staying and shut the doors. I guess she isn't concerned about her electric bill.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Debb, it would be a good idea to go to your local utility's website for suggestions. We in Arizona still have our a/c running, so any other advice from me wouldn't make sense to you. DO BE AWARE that by covering vents in the house, you might be impacting air circulation and furnace efficiency in other parts of the house as well (that's why I advise checking out your local utility's website for info). We rarely ever use our central heating here - usually just for the hour or so from when we get up to when we prepare to leave the house on work days. Once the sun is up, we open our doors!!!!
    Debb70 likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

None of my friends & family likes to come to my house when it's cold because don't heat the house over 62 and just wear a sweater or sit with blanket. I have electric heat and the first winter I owned my house I was floored at a $300 electric bill for half a month (I'd just moved in and it's a tiny house) keeping the house in the low 70s. Plus, I hate the feel of forced warm air--it really dries out my skin.

I can't find that happy number yet. I am always playing with the thermostat. I tend to like the house on the cooler side. I don't like the house hot and stuffy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I keep my house on the cooler side, too, choosing to bundle/layer myself, if necessary. My thermostat is always on the heat/AC setting which allows it to turn on the A/C if it gets warmer than I want, and the heat when the temp drops to too cool for me, automatically; it's about 67 or 68. I never have any problem with it being too stuffy. That is a most miserable feeling, and doesn't allow for good sleep. I also hate it when my house is like an igloo in the warmer months. Kepes me from having to jack it up and down.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    . . . I also hate it when my house is like an igloo in the warmer months. Kepes me from having to jack it up and down.
    In July and August, I tell my husband "You can have the overhead fan or the central a/c can be blowing. You can NOT have both." I think it's silly to watch TV under a blanket when it's 114 outside.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread