+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6163Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

The bad thing is if you try something and it only takes some of it off, you will end up with an even worse eyesore. I feel your pain, I lived with a light like that.The good thing was it broke ( It cracked) and as we were renting, he replaced it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yikes! That is hideous, and no, I don't think you can remove the flora. I know that you don't want to spend any money, but if I was planning on staying in the same location for an extended period of time, I would check Freecycle, the Habitat store, eBay, Goodwill and pretty much any place where you might get free or cheap building remnants. Or you could put a post in Freecycle to see if anyone has something to offer.

I've been in the same position as you with regard to living with awful lighting fixtures in the past, and what I did was buy a cheap Chinese parasol, cut the post off and tie that to the fixture. Pretty, but it doesn't sound like it would go with your decor. Though actually, if you could find a plain white one with a red or black border, that might work. Then you could always put back the original bit of schlock when you moved.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

This is a suggestion for the light fixture. When I rented, I did a few things to help get items I wanted from the landlord. For example, if I wanted a room a different color, I would tell the landlord and ask if he would supply the paint, I would do it myself and do a good job. (No crazy colors. I actually had family and friends do it. I'm a terrible painter.lol) If I wanted new plants in the front yard, I would volunteer to pull the old ones up and plant the new ones if her paid. It doesn't always work, but if you are a good tenant, sometimes they want to do what they can to keep you around and happy.

You may ask the landlord to replace the fixture with something basic that doesn't make much of a statement OR I would just pick out one I liked and replace it. Put the flowered one away in a closet and put it back up when you move out. Take the new with you or sell in a yard sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I already shopped around and unfortunately, a new one would be $20 or more. I rent, so I really don't want to buy anything like that since I can't take with me. Maybe in the future I'd consider a DIY project, but I was just hoping for a cheap fix. This thing is an eyesore. My next door neighbor moved out over the weekend and I only thought after he'd already gone that I should have checked out his light fixture. Maybe we could have switched them. The landlords would never have noticed. Rats!

Here's the eyesore, btw. My grandmother would have loved the hell out of this thing. I think it's horrid, especially in my cool kitchen! Ignore the dust - I've had a lot of work done in my house in the last month or so and now I really need to give this place a good cleaning!

Attachment 28591
    I'd buy a new one cheap at $20 and take it with me. GEEZ that is bad! or it'd get broken somehow - like I was trying to change the bulb and it "slipped". OOPS.

Unfortunately, my budget is so tight right now you could bounce a quarter off of it. I can't spend $20 on something like that, especially when I can't take it with me when I move. I mean, what are the odds that my next home with have a fixture like that? I'd likely get maybe $1 for it at a garage sale. It was just an impulse. I really should have run next door before my neighbor moved to see what his looked like. We were plotting a way to trade stoves, since that house has a nice, new one and mine came from 1983. We finally decided there was no way the landlord wouldn't notice. With the light fixture, we could have gotten away with it.

Most days I don't even notice it, but lately I can't STOP looking at it. In the scheme of things, it's pretty minor. The problem with putting a shade over it is that there already isn't enough light in the kitchen. My kitchen is really big and there are only two overhead lights. A shade or more paint to cover that design would block even more light.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the handyman and see what he thinks. Maybe he'd let me run into the house next door and swap fixtures.

I can't imagine how the person who bought that hideous thing thought it was a good idea. WHY would you put flowers like that in a kitchen? I wouldn't put it anywhere but the trash.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I can't imagine how the person who bought that hideous thing thought it was a good idea. WHY would you put flowers like that in a kitchen? I wouldn't put it anywhere but the trash.
    At one time avocado green and harvest gold kitchen appliances were all the rage, too. I am currently looking at my kitchen which was semi-revamped in 2000. New appliances, countertop (not granite but a formica that sort of looks like it), granite floor tiles, tiled backsplash, and fruit wallpaper separated by a new chair rail and coordinating wallpaper pattern below. Yes, FRUIT WALLPAPER!!! What was I thinking? At the time it seemed like a good idea but now it is dated. Oh well, I am going to have to live with it for a long while b/c the next time I do a redo, I want brand new kitchen cupboards and some type of stone countertops, be it quartz or granite.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    At one time avocado green and harvest gold kitchen appliances were all the rage, too. I am currently looking at my kitchen which was semi-revamped in 2000. New appliances, countertop (not granite but a formica that sort of looks like it), granite floor tiles, tiled backsplash, and fruit wallpaper separated by a new chair rail and coordinating wallpaper pattern below. Yes, FRUIT WALLPAPER!!! What was I thinking? At the time it seemed like a good idea but now it is dated. Oh well, I am going to have to live with it for a long while b/c the next time I do a redo, I want brand new kitchen cupboards and some type of stone countertops, be it quartz or granite.
    I finally went with granite ECM and I love it! But before that, yes I had colored appliances etc. Funnily enough, some of the old styles are coming back in, just like fashion
    -Andy Rooney-

Critical Have you tried to scrape the design off with a straight edge razor blade (the kind you use to scrape the paint off windows)? Sometimes, those designs are actually decals and not paint. Either way it might work.

Or...you could take up golf and practice your golf swing in the kitchen like my ex did.

Oh, I remember avocado and harvest gold and that orange too! One of my neighbors has orange counter tops in her kitchen, if you can imagine. She's lived there for 20 years at least. I remind myself of that when I feel like whining about that light!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh, I remember avocado and harvest gold and that orange too! One of my neighbors has orange counter tops in her kitchen, if you can imagine. She's lived there for 20 years at least. I remind myself of that when I feel like whining about that light!
    When I first came to Canada, and my then husband and I moved away from my family.We had nothing, and I cooked on this little two ring electric thing. It was like a camping stove The basement apartment we rented then had no appliances( so funny to think of that now) my grandmother came for a visit, and she decided to buy us a stove, harvest gold to be exact.I was over the moon, I loved it. Its amazing when I think back to those days.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread