+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5868Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

People who talk on their phones while in the checkout line is my biggest cell phone-related pet peeve. I've been in line behind someone doing that and I've been behind the register waiting on someone doing it. There were times when I worked retail where the person was gabbing away on their phone and completely ignoring me and I couldn't finish ringing them up because I needed to ask them a question. Then they had the nerve to act annoyed when I needed them to give me their attention. Obviously, you just have to grin and take it, but I was always tempted to yank the cell out of their hands and chuck it across the room.

We had a member here years ago who was, I think, a bank teller. Her tactic if a customer was on their cell phone was to say something like (and nicely, btw) "You know, that looks like a really important call and I don't want to interrupt you, so I'm going to help this gentleman behind you so you can finish up that phone call without me disturbing you." I thought it was a great tactic, although I never had the nerve to try it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    People who talk on their phones while in the checkout line is my biggest cell phone-related pet peeve. I've been in line behind someone doing that and I've been behind the register waiting on someone doing it. There were times when I worked retail where the person was gabbing away on their phone and completely ignoring me and I couldn't finish ringing them up because I needed to ask them a question. Then they had the nerve to act annoyed when I needed them to give me their attention. Obviously, you just have to grin and take it, but I was always tempted to yank the cell out of their hands and chuck it across the room.

We had a member here years ago who was, I think, a bank teller. Her tactic if a customer was on their cell phone was to say something like (and nicely, btw) "You know, that looks like a really important call and I don't want to interrupt you, so I'm going to help this gentleman behind you so you can finish up that phone call without me disturbing you." I thought it was a great tactic, although I never had the nerve to try it.
    That would be a good thing to say- very tactful, and she could move to the next person. Hmm , I like that
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I don't understand the obsession myself. You need to enjoy the company of the person you are with. Life is too short to be attached to a device.
    I read an article recently on cell phone addiction in Newsweek. It included other technologies too. It's similar to substance abuse addiction. (Average teen processes 3,700 texts per month.) Since reading it, I now look at it in a very different way. I'm not sure the average person even sees there is a problem. They will tell you they are addicted, can't function without it and are constantly tweeting, and then laugh.....as if it's amusing. I think they don't get how in trouble they might be.
    Last edited by Debb70; 09-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

My local convenience store has a sign at the check-out to the effect of the customer is on the phone while checking out, they won't be served until they hang up. I love that sign and have told them so.

I'm pretty phone dependent in that it's my main line, but I can't say I send more than 10 texts a week, and probably half are to my secretary letting her know where I am because my office Blackberry is crap and doesn't recognize ANY in-office email addresses anymore.

Well, here's a total change of topic! My entire kitchen is black, white and red, with the exception of the glass cover on one of my ceiling lights, which has pink-ish flowers painted on it (I know, barf). It seriously looks like something from a little old lady's boudoir. Has anyone every tried removing the paint off of one of these things? This is a rental house, so I'm not buying a new one that I wouldn't be able to use in my next place, but I'd love to NOT have to look at these flowers any more.

I'm wondering if acetone (in the form of some nail polish remover) would take off the design. Not sure I want to experiment since I could end up making it look worse. I was hoping someone here knew something about this or had tried it.

I tried googling and all I found were projects to put paint onto things.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I would take it into Lowes or Home Depot, they seem to have something for everything.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't have a cell. I am still a payphone user if I am out and need to make a call. BUT my 3 kids all have phones (20, 18, 15) and I expect them to answer if I call them which is weird since my parents had no way of getting in touch with me when I was out at their age.
    Debb70 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Hey, Critical - is your kitchen light mounted close to the ceiling, or is it a pendant? If it's the close-mount style then I have an idea for you -- just take off that glass piece and save it for whenever you move out, then attach a big drum shade up close to the ceiling (like this ). If you don't already have a big shade then you'd have to buy one, but at least that's something you could take with you and reuse on a lamp or other ceiling fixture when you move. Plus, imo, it looks really cool!
    As for removing the flowers, I'm thinking the paint was probably baked on at the factory and won't come off w/ acetone, but it's worth a shot to see (even if you smudged the finish slightly testing it out, I doubt anyone else would ever notice). Also, I thought if the flowers were tiny little things you could try going over them w/ a black Sharpie to tie the pattern in with your decor. Just some thoughts... hope you find a solution that works for you.

Critical - I had a shade that was covered in golden colored paint - Paint remover took it off and made it a much better light. Depending on the type of shade you have, some of them may cost less to buy than the paint remover would cost. Or you could take a look at a place that has used building materials or home goods to see if you can find a replacement for a cheap price.

I already shopped around and unfortunately, a new one would be $20 or more. I rent, so I really don't want to buy anything like that since I can't take with me. Maybe in the future I'd consider a DIY project, but I was just hoping for a cheap fix. This thing is an eyesore. My next door neighbor moved out over the weekend and I only thought after he'd already gone that I should have checked out his light fixture. Maybe we could have switched them. The landlords would never have noticed. Rats!

Here's the eyesore, btw. My grandmother would have loved the hell out of this thing. I think it's horrid, especially in my cool kitchen! Ignore the dust - I've had a lot of work done in my house in the last month or so and now I really need to give this place a good cleaning!

005.jpg

+ Reply to Thread