+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5904Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I took a friend out to eat a while ago and her son called in the middle of our meal. She proceeded to tell him a long, drawn out, not very interesting story she had just told me. I was stunned. Hello? Call him back later!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I took a friend out to eat a while ago and her son called in the middle of our meal. She proceeded to tell him a long, drawn out, not very interesting story she had just told me. I was stunned. Hello? Call him back later!
    Exactly! I thought I was all alone with this. .I gather I am not
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

My phone is mostly ignored - I transferred my land line number to my cell last year because while I rarely used my land line I had so many important things tied to that number so I wanted to keep it. If I have my phone out at a restaurant it is usually because someone is going to meet us and may need directions or information as to whether we are there. Otherwise it is put away. And silenced.

I saw a mother and older teenaged son shopping in Costco the other day. The son had some fairly large headphones on that completely covered his ears. I felt sorry for his mom and wondered why the son even bothered to be there?

With all that said, when my husband and I both sit at home chatting/interacting on our computers to other people, are we doing about the same thing? After being with him for over 35 years I guess I feel comfortable enough to not be attentive to him every minute that we are home together. I usually chat with my daughter and a few friends occasionally, but after a summer of Big Brother updates I feel like I may have crossed the line on being distracted by technology.

Well, Big Brother is the exception to the rule. Everything else goes out the window when BB is on.
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

When I go home for the holidays, I try to connect with any of my old friends who still live in the area. There's one friend who I like a lot, but don't care if I see because she spends the entire time networking on her phone. She texts, she emails, she gets up from the table to take business calls. It's SO rude. You can't even have a conversation with her. Another friend, who sees her regularly, says it's like that all the time. It's really disappointing and, frankly, insulting. I don't see her but every few years, tops. You'd think she could let the calls go to voice mail for an hour or two.

When I see people constantly texting or just on their cell like it's surgically attached, I want to yell "You're not that important!" What could you possibly need to say that you have to be in constant contact with people? I've been known to NOT answer my phone....and by "known" I mean that I don't answer my phone all the time. My friends know to leave me a message and I'll call back. Sometimes I just don't want to talk to anyone. There was a point in my life at which I realized that I didn't actually have to answer the phone when it rang. It was totally liberating!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I totally agree! I have trouble understanding people who have a need to have a phone in their hand all of the time, no matter where they go. They get all dressed up, and there is the stupid phone. What is the deal? They walk down the street with their phone to their ear, conversing. Huh??? While I do have a cell phone, I also turn the ringer OFF when I am on an appointment, or inside a store. I find it's more than enough to check my silent phone every now and then, and NEVER when I am in the company of another. I HATE PHONES!!! They, generally, bring nothing but headaches and stupidity; I learned this from working when I HAD to answer the phone all day. I used to leave the office just to get away from the phone. If something was that important, they could leave a message or get somebody to contact me, and let me plan the return call....at least that gave me some control. I don't want to be available all of the time!

I think its sad, when we go to live theater, that adults have to be reminded to turn the damned things off . One play we went to see, a couple sat by us, and she forgot hers was on. It was very silent and hers started ringing, it was very very loud .Well she couldn't find it in her very large purse, and it kept going and going. If I were on stage , in character I would have said something.He was beet red, and she didn't seem to care.Finally she turned it off. In the intermission, her and her parter argued , then she swanned off, leaving him to say sorry .I said don't say sorry to me/us, the people on that stage have been rehearsing for months .After the intermission, they did not return. Maybe that was their first( and last) date
    -Andy Rooney-

I couldn't agree more! I don't understand the obsession myself. You need to enjoy the company of the person you are with. Life is too short to be attached to a device.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I don't understand the obsession myself. You need to enjoy the company of the person you are with. Life is too short to be attached to a device.
    I dont know where it is There is a video on you tube of a woman so engrossed in her phone( looking down) she trips into a waterfall that is in a mall.Now those things are pretty big! she was suing the mall!!

We went grocery shopping Saturday and the cashier asked the woman in front of me a question, and she ( on her phone talking) told her 'just a minute.' I wasn't in the best of moods, so I said, excuse me, this young girl is busy, I am busy , so no, she cant wait a minute!!

Hubby said , you shouldnt have stepped in. Then, after thinking about it, he said, yes you should have. The people in the line up behind us, shouted out thank you( or something like that ) how dare she think she is that important.
    Hyper, Cootie and inthegarden like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I dont know where it is There is a video on you tube of a woman so engrossed in her phone( looking down) she trips into a waterfall that is in a mall.Now those things are pretty big! she was suing the mall!!

We went grocery shopping Saturday and the cashier asked the woman in front of me a question, and she ( on her phone talking) told her 'just a minute.' I wasn't in the best of moods, so I said, excuse me, this young girl is busy, I am busy , so no, she cant wait a minute!!

Hubby said , you shouldnt have stepped in. Then, after thinking about it, he said, yes you should have. The people in the line up behind us, shouted out thank you( or something like that ) how dare she think she is that important
    I used to be a grocery checker and we were not allowed to say anything abrupt or what could be considered rude to our customers even if they were the most obnoxious customers ever. I would have been grateful for your comment to the rude customer if I had been your cashier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I used to be a grocery checker and we were not allowed to say anything abrupt or what could be considered rude to our customers even if they were the most obnoxious customers ever. I would have been grateful for your comment to the rude customer if I had been your cashier.
    She was. She mouthed thank you, while looking back at her line up. I read what I posted and sort of agreed with my husband so thank-you for your comment
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread