+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6998Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I also thought the 42-hour time frame was hilarious....no.....just stupid, really.

My ultimate question is....."Who falls for this crap???"

My mother said, "It's always people looking to get something for nothing." I think she may have been right!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Exactly! And when in doubt, ALWAYS pick up the phone and call and ask.
    justCoz likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hate having to sign greeting cards at the office. I guess I would feel differently if I liked my co-workers as friends but since I don't, it feels so fake. I had three cards to sign today--one for a guy who doesn't even work in my office anymore and two without any notation of who they were for. I can only hope I didn't pass them on to the person intended to receive them.

I have no problem with individual co-workers giving each other cards for various occasions or doing the group greeting card for big events, like retirements, but I don't care to sign birthday cards for every Joe Shmoe who currently or used to work for this office. I think people would view me as a creep if I refused to sign them so I just scribble a lame sentiment and pass it on.

My office has recently got into giving multiple cards for someone's birthday. They'll have one card for those of us in the immediate office and a second card for everyone in this section and the other sections to sign.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-17-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm guessing that the extra cards are for when people have occasions that people want to remember....sounds like they're stockpiling early for whomever's day it is!!! That's hilarious!!!

I can't believe you browbeat yourself into letting these people pressure you!! Put a DOT and be done with it!!! You know, like Prince went through a phase where he used a symbol for his name!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hmm, you might have a point. If I get known for marking cards with an X and my name alone, maybe people won't even bother getting me to sign cards floating around the office.

I sure as heck don't have the money to buys cards for every person I know and every occasion in their lives. I bought my best friend a birthday card and gift recently but that's the only card I've bought this year. If he lived in my town, I would have taken him out for lunch or given him home-baked cookies instead of giving him a card.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I hate the "office" card, but what I hate even more is the office gift collection. I just flat out refuse to chip for some; I think it's a bit tacky to be taking up collections for someone's third or fourth marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I hate the "office" card, but what I hate even more is the office gift collection. I just flat out refuse to chip for some; I think it's a bit tacky to be taking up collections for someone's third or fourth marriage.
    Yeah, I never would chip in on a gift unless it was for someone I was close to. I don't have money to throw around like that. I worked in an office where they always collected money for some ridiculously large gift for the boss' birthday and they actually said in one memo that the people who contributed would get their name on a balloon in the bunch of balloons they bought to go with the gift.....so if you didn't contribute, the boss would know it. Sorry, but my boss made about 50 times more money than I did and contributing for some silly gift - it was a humidor, IIRC - was not something I was going to do. I told the person collecting that my grandfather died of lung cancer (true), so I wasn't going to contribute to buy anything smoking-related. That didn't go over well, but I didn't care. I WAS going to offer to make a donation to the American Cancer Society in the boss' name, but I bit my tongue!

I got to the point with the office card that I just would sign my name or write "best wishes" or something.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We used to have a "Sunshine Club" at our school and you had to chip in $10 at the beginning of the year and more later if it ran out. It was for cards and flowers if the occasion warranted. This is in addition to individual money collections if someone had a baby, got married, etc. When I had cancer I joked with the person in charge of the club that I was finally going to get a return on all that money I put in when I got flowers and she replied that if I didn't actually stay over at the hospital, I didn't get flowers. Well excuse me for being a chemo outpatient! When they come around when I'm in the middle of a class, I refuse. I'm not going to show all those middle schoolers where I keep my money. I tell them I'll catch up with them later when I'm not in the middle of a class and then "forget" if it's something I don't want to contribute to.
    Ha! And then there are the several recent baby showers when they took a collection for a group present and then individuals gave a present in addition, leaving those of us who thought we had already covered that base to look cheap.
    Count your blessings!

That's why I've always liked working with Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't discuss their religion at work and their religion gives them a legitimate out on the card/gift thing. I've often considered putting it about that I'm a Witness, but (a) that is just plain wrong, and (b) I would have to stop letting people know that I'm an atheist when they start talking to me about Jesus.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

At my first part-time job, I got a card and a present for our supervisor on her birthday. Nobody had told me about an office birthday club so when they came around and told me what I owed for my portion of the group gift they gave, I refused. I had already bought a card and gift on my own so I wasn't going to pitch in for their stuff, too. If they had expected me to participate, they should have let me know beforehand so I wouldn't have bought my own stuff.

Then at my first full-time job, my supervisor decided that for her Christmas present, she wanted an annual pass to Wild Adventures (a theme park in Valdosta, GA) and we were all expected to chip into pay for it. I flat out refused to contribute. First of all, I think the choice of present should be up to the giver. Since it's their money paying for it, they should select what to give and the recipient should just be happy to get anything. Second, I resented being told what my portion to pay would be. I would have been happier having everyone contribute what amount they chose to give and figure out what gift to give based on the total collected.

I guess those two incidents are what soured me on office collections. To me, a gift should be given when the giver wants to give it to the recipient and not become something that is expected or forced, particularly when you hardly know the person you're signing a card for or pitching in money for their gift.

+ Reply to Thread