+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7280Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

lol, yeah I'm not worried about it! Age is just a number. The only thing I worry about is running out of time in my life but you never know how long you have so it doesn't pay to get too wrapped up in it. As long as I'm healthy and happy, I don't care how long in the tooth I am.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My favorite senior discount story. A couple of years ago (I was 62), I went to the movies with my grandson and asked for tickets for "1 student, one senior citizen." The woman (in her 50s, I think) behind the window said, "I'm sorry, ma'am. The beginning age for senior discounts is 60, so you don't qualify." I showed her my driver's license, laughed, and said, "You're my best friend for the rest of the day."

Yep. If you're going to get carded, it's good to get carded for looking too young for the senior discount!

Mr. ING worries about aging more than I do, especially after his last birthday. So when we dined out this weekend and the waitress brought our check, she made the comment "I didn't give you a senior discount, neither one of you look 60". Hee, Hee! He said Really?
    Of course, that didn't keep him from telling her his age... he's not going to miss getting his senior discount!

It's interesting how you can't tell a person's age online by their writing. A lot of people I've gotten to know I'll picture as a teenager or in the 20's and 30's and I'm surprised to find out their true age is much older. I guess because the stereotype is old ladies spend their time gardening, knitting, playing Bingo, baking cookies, etc. and not being very technologically adept. You don't think about them playing Mafia Wars on Facebook or rehashing an episode of a reality tv show with their forum friends. haha

I don't think my mom would ever have gotten into Facebook and being online in general. We got a WebTV once but I don't remember her using it too often unless my dad asked her to look something up. She hated using computers and didn't want to learn how.

I think this is where "Pet Peeves" was moved so I'm going to vent. There are two 6 yr. olds in the neighborhood adjacent to my house. One mom watches both of them after school. Today they had a whistle with a pitch that sounded like a young girl screaming. Being a mom and former lifeguard (of MANY years), every time they blew that *$*@&%($ whistle my internal alarms went off. It went on so long I decided I needed to go to the grocery store. I could shoot the mom about now.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Sheesh, that would drive me crazy! I think I would wait a few days to see if the novelty wore off and they stopped using the whistle so much. If it kept up, or if I just couldn't take it anymore, I would go talk to the mom. Explain to the neighbor that you can hear the whistle clear over at your house and it's a distracting annoyance. If she won't agree to stop it with the whistle, consider making a noise complaint against her with the police, sheriff's office, neighborhood association, or whoever handles that in your area.

You're allowed to do what you want at your house but when it travels outside of your property, you need to be considerate of your neighbors.

My mom ALWAYS asks about a senior discount. Her theory is that there has to be SOME benefit to getting old! Of course, my mom's 75, so it's a little different than 41. For a while, she was taking a class at the local community college, so she'd always ask which got a better discount - the student or the senior! I haven't been mistaken for a senior and I always get carded in places that say something like "If you look like you're under 60, we'll card you." I have a friend who's in her 30's and didn't get carded in one of those stores. She was crushed. The first time I was ever called "ma'am" was by a girl at the Taco Bell drive thru on my 30th birthday. I almost chucked the tacos back through the window at her. Little snot. Like I wasn't feeling fragile enough already!

Gut - if it was me, I would have calmly walked outside, walked right up to the kid with the whistle and held out my hand for it. I can't believe the adult watching them could stand it. Maybe she had ear plugs.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Or maybe that's why the kids were outside.

I'm from the south and using Ma'am is considered to be good manners, but IMO it should be reserved for children to say to adults. Once you reach age 18, you can lose it for people older than you, unless they are grandparents, older aunts or older people you know. That's how I see it.

I have had females who appear to be in their 30's refer to me with ma'am when I was not much older than them and I don't think I looked it either. I find that insulting and have instructed them to save it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Gut - if it was me, I would have calmly walked outside, walked right up to the kid with the whistle and held out my hand for it. I can't believe the adult watching them could stand it. Maybe she had ear plugs.
    I want to be you when I grow up.
    Critical likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread