+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5774Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Hey, I pronounced it "for-TAY" for years until a friend corrected me. Several things I've read say that both pronunciations are acceptable, but basically only because so many people have mis-pronounced it for so long! Something about that really bugs me.
    I think both pronunciations are considered acceptable because there is still debate as to the linguistic origin of its idiomatic use[s].
    In music, it's the Italian /fɔr-te'/. Anything else, the etymological jury is out as to whether the Italian or French pronunciation is the correct one.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Well, if the jury's still out,then I'm going back to "fort-ay" since most people don't seem to understand it when one uses "fort" and I've got so many other things I can squabble over. Or, over which I can squabble, if we're going to be grammatically uptight.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Both pronunciations are listed in both dictionaries I looked in so I'm going to continue with fort-ay.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

This discussion is making me think of the Nat King Cole song, "Darling, Je Vous Aime Beacoup". He pronounced forte as "fort". Personally I never use the word so I'm not sure which form I would use. I don't care which form other people use. I'm sure in the context I'd know what they're talking about (forte as in a strength not fort as in a building).

Ah, cherie, my love for you is tres, tres forte,
    Wish my French were good enough, I'd tell you so much more".
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

This is how my French instructor taught us:

French I: Changing Masculine to Singular Feminine

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It kills me AND my ears to hear somebody use "seen" where they should use "saw".
    Hyper, justCoz and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Even Tweety Bird knew better than that. You never heard him say "I tawt I seen a puddy tat"!
    prhoshay likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It kills me AND my ears to hear somebody use "seen" where they should use "saw".
    You know this is one of my worst pet peeves. I can't stand it! lol For some reason I hear it stated that way almost everyday, either on tv, radio, or live. (There is even a song out that I like, but this one line that uses seen instead of saw ruins it for me. I undertand creative license and all, but it drives me nuts.)

What I have noticed is that people who do this, also get the tense wrong in other ways too. When it should be did, they say done, etc. It's as if they if they always pick the wrong one. It's difficult to understand this.

I have read on this board that it must be what they heard when growing up to pick the wrong word, but some of these people grew up with me and we heard the same things, so I don't understand how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Even Tweety Bird knew better than that. You never heard him say "I tawt I seen a puddy tat"!
    Little did we know that Tweety Bird was educational TV.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember that I used to use the wrong tense of a word just to watch my mother's hair stand on end!!! That always cracked me up!!! She wouldn't say anything.......just give me that lond-held, eyeball-on-eyeball stare!!! God bless that woman for having to put up with my warped sense of humor.
    Hyper likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread