+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7128Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Not all gyros are made of lamb. Places around here also have beef or chicken gyros. One place even has tuna gyros!

I love mascarpone cheese, but I always mispronounce it "marscapone"... even though I know it's wrong. I use "can" instead of "may" when I know it's wrong because "may" sounds stilted.
    Count your blessings!

Haha I'm living in Alberta now and we have Marquis of Lorne Trail here, and I've only heard it pronounced that same way AJane, I just call it 22x! Foyer is one of the worst for me too, it sounds so horrible and wrong. I had to send floor plans to Colorado once and I was shocked that the engineer didn't know what an ensuite was lol I guess French is so engrained in us here that I don't realize how much it has impacted the words we use and the way we pronounce so many things. Even the pronunciation of so many last names vary so much that one would have to see them written out to know they're the same.

I recently seen an online video about $#it Saskatchewanians Say and found out we have a tendency to say seen when we mean saw, I didn't even realize that was a thing! Seen just sounds right to me in every situation, it's not like saw sounds wrong but after this many years saying/hearing it I would never have noticed that without it being pointed out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I love mascarpone cheese, but I always mispronounce it "marscapone"... even though I know it's wrong. I use "can" instead of "may" when I know it's wrong because "may" sounds stilted.
    I do both of those. Unfortunately when I use 'can' instead of 'may' I can hear my mother's voice in my head correctly me! I also hear her when I hear others say 'where's it at'. I always hear the 'right before the at' in my head! That is one she managed to drill into me.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I also hear her when I hear others say 'where's it at'. I always hear the 'right before the at' in my head! That is one she managed to drill into me.
    What are you supposed to say...Where it be???

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    What are you supposed to say...Where it be???
    'Where is it?' - There's no reason for the 'at'. It's ending the sentence in a preposition which used to be a much bigger no-no than it seems to be now.
    Jamie5632 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    And so the dumbing down of the population continues. I guess pronouncing forte as "fort" had to become accepted because people are too moronic to bother learning that forte is pronounced with the extre "e" sound because it's actually a French word (feminine version of 'fort'). This was probably determined to be acceptable by the same people who think "wa la!" is a real word/phrase instead of the correct "voila!"
    It actually is pronounced "fort". If there was an accent over the e it would be pronounced with ah "ay" sound. The word has a French derivation (and no accent), so the E is silent. If it was Italian, it would be pronounced For-TAY.

Forte - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    The site gives you an audio of the correct pronunciation.
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for the forte pronounciation my friend!
    Ellen likes this.
    Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
    Learning how to pronounce forte at FORT.
    I just find that amusing. Don't know why, I just do.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
    Hey, I pronounced it "for-TAY" for years until a friend corrected me. Several things I've read say that both pronunciations are acceptable, but basically only because so many people have mis-pronounced it for so long! Something about that really bugs me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread