+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    And so the dumbing down of the population continues. I guess pronouncing forte as "fort" had to become accepted because people are too moronic to bother learning that forte is pronounced with the extre "e" sound because it's actually a French word (feminine version of 'fort'). This was probably determined to be acceptable by the same people who think "wa la!" is a real word/phrase instead of the correct "voila!"
    Did you see the tape from a news reporter on The Jimmy Kimmel show? In her report, she pronounced "voila" as Viola?

French in America is a whole other can of worms. Personally I giggle every time I drive through DuBois, PA (aka DuBoys) or Calais ME (aka Callous). Though for some reason hearing foyer pronounced foy-er rather than foy-ay drives me nuts.

And with respect to words that I prefer to the actual word, I'm going to have to go with snuck over sneaked. Sneaked feels and sounds forced to me - snuck just seems more natural. I comfort myself with the fact that language is a living thing and snuck will become a legitimate part of the lexicon eventually. Though "nucular" never will. Just wrong.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh my gosh, I used to just cringe every time Dubya would say "nucular." I have a cousin who is extremely intelligent and well read but for some reason he cannot pronounce the word "remember" correctly. He switches the first m with an n and says "reNember." It sounds very jarring.

Now, in defense of people mispronouncing "quinoa" by saying "kin-no-uh": In Spanish if you took each syllable apart it would be pronounced as key no ah but the o and the a form a diphthong giving it the "wah" sound and the n combines with the qui to give it the "keen" sound. So, I guess I am more inclined to give most folks some slack.

inthegarden - I did not see that. I bet it was funny though!

Rattus - A long-ish time ago, I attended the University of Kentucky for a while. My first week there, I was trying to find my way around and in an attempt to get somewhere I was asking various people how I could get to Versailles Road. Everyone looked at me like I had 2 heads. I couldn't figure out why this was so hard because according to my maps, it was a major road. Well, eventually this girl looks at my map and says in her twangy accent "Oh! You mean - ver-SAILS road?!?" Silly me. I still chuckle over that to this day. So yes, you would think I would have lower expectations where French words are concerned.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Along that same line... anyone else grow up hearing "boo-coos" used to describe a large amount?
    Debb70 likes this.
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A boss of mine used to say "poo-coo"...I kid you not!!! Idiot.

People like him always make my jaw drop down, and I looked at him out of the corner of my eye.

And I hate it when people repeat the exact same thing 3-4 times in a row!! So far, I've found it to be with my friends from Tennessee. Me: "OK, already!!! I heard you the first time!!!" And then they are likely to say it again!!!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    And so the dumbing down of the population continues. I guess pronouncing forte as "fort" had to become accepted because people are too moronic to bother learning that forte is pronounced with the extre "e" sound because it's actually a French word (feminine version of 'fort'). This was probably determined to be acceptable by the same people who think "wa la!" is a real word/phrase instead of the correct "voila!"
    That's why it bothers me so much. I actually looked it up on dictionary.com to see if 'fort' was an acceptable variation of the pronunciation. Unfortunately it's actually the first pronunciation listed. That bothered me more than hearing the jarring sound of that one guy pronounce it 'wrong'.

Hmm, just looked it up in my dictionary I got for graduation in 1986 and it also lists 'fort' as the acceptable pronunciation. I can say I'd never heard it pronounced that way until that audio book. At least where I grew up in NE Ohio it was always pronounced 'fort-e'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    French in America is a whole other can of worms. Personally I giggle every time I drive through DuBois, PA (aka DuBoys) or Calais ME (aka Callous). Though for some reason hearing foyer pronounced foy-er rather than foy-ay drives me nuts.

And with respect to words that I prefer to the actual word, I'm going to have to go with snuck over sneaked. Sneaked feels and sounds forced to me - snuck just seems more natural. I comfort myself with the fact that language is a living thing and snuck will become a legitimate part of the lexicon eventually. Though "nucular" never will. Just wrong.
    Heh...when I lived in Saskatchewan - admittedly not a place that embraces francophone culture - everyone pronounced Marquis Drive as Mar-qwis. And I was corrected if I used the proper pronunciation.

I will cop to learning only recently the correct way to say quinoa, though I've been eating it for a while. And where I live now, everyone says guy-ros, but I heartily concur with your other comment - it's crap. I generally call it mystery meat. *shudder*
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I definitely wouldn't say gyros are crap. A lot depends on what is put on them. My favorite Greek place in town has gyros with diced tomato, onion, and feta cheese that are out of this world. All the other places in town are pretty dull because they just have lettuce or meat alone. Miami Subs had the worst gyros I ever ate. I didn't taste any tzatziki sauce on them (they either didn't use or used way too little) so they were extremely dry and they used Romaine lettuce instead of iceberg, which I don't like because it has a rougher texture and bitter taste. Now those gyros WERE crap!!
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't like lamb one little bit, so I will live my life without trying the gyros!

Regarding pronunciation, I guess what is "correct" is whatever the region uses, like it or not.

President or Mrs. Obama or a reporter commented on how kids seem to love quinoa! They had a Kids State Dinner and a cooking contest, and I think the winner used quinoa. I've never had it; guess I'd better expand my horizons! The little monsters are running rings around me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread