+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6792Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #17901
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,767

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    The incorrect pronunciation of the word "gyro" –– with the meaning of the Greek sandwich –– bugs me, too, especially that it's been around long enough that it's not so foreign anymore.
    The first time I ever saw gyros, when my mom got some frozen ones, I assumed they were pronounced JI-rows, like a gyroscope. I learned the correct pronounciation years later after seeing them on a cooking show.

    It must drive the guys that sell gyros at the state fair nuts to have so many people come up to the booth and mispronounce them! Or maybe they don't care as long as they're getting paid.

  2. #17902
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Speaking of food mispronunciations, no one I know in real life knows how to pronounce "quinoa" properly. Drives me insane!

  3. #17903
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,417

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Now that you mention that, I have noticed birds here which usually don't show up until fall, too. Hmmm.
    I've heard in "weather lore" that the number of fogs in August indicates the number of snows to come that winter... but I live around too many tobacco barns to distinguish smoke from fog this time of year.
    All the smoke hasn't been from tobacco fires...we've had quite a few fogs. I've noticed our weather (and crops) has been 1-2 months ahead this year. The swallows have started leaving early and the green in the trees is beginning to dull.

  4. #17904
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,160

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Speaking of food mispronunciations, no one I know in real life knows how to pronounce "quinoa" properly. Drives me insane!
    Really? Wow. I've heard hardly any mispronunciations here.
    (It was a different story, however, when I was on vacation in Wisconsin last month.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  5. #17905
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Really? Wow. I've heard hardly any mispronunciations here.
    (It was a different story, however, when I was on vacation in Wisconsin last month.)
    I'm convinced I work with savants. They know their jobs but they don't know anything else outside of that. Two well-accomplished professionals were discussing how much they really like kin-no-uh. It took me a few seconds to figure out what they were talking about--it could have been some weird new thing I'd not heard of. Boggles my mind, since I can buy quinoa in freakin' Walmart. Then again, maybe I've answered my own question with the Walmart thing.
    Ellen likes this.

  6. #17906
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,329

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    With a chef daughter, I was way ahead of the curve on pronouncing "quinoa" correctly and have had a lot of people say, "Oh, it that how it's pronounced?"
    Count your blessings!

  7. #17907
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I tend to give people a little slack on the pronunciation of certain things for awhile after they've reached public notice (though not "nucular" - that doesn't even work phonetically ) because there have been words over the years that I have been completely familiar with through reading, but had never heard anyone use verbally, so my pronunciation was way off-base. I live in a really large city so quinoa is referenced often, but I can see where in a smaller centre people might be reading about it, but not hearing about it so the confusion is understandable. And with respect to gyros, I'm still not 100% comfortable with the pronunciation because, even though I live about two kilometres away from the Greek neighbourhood, I don't know anyone who eats that stuff and pretty the only reference I hear to them is, upon spotting one of those fly-specked posters in a restaurant window, is "how can anyone voluntarily ingest that crap". So, as far as I'm concerned, it's pronounced crap.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  8. #17908
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I tend to give people a little slack on the pronunciation of certain things for awhile after they've reached public notice (though not "nucular" - that doesn't even work phonetically ) because there have been words over the years that I have been completely familiar with through reading, but had never heard anyone use verbally, so my pronunciation was way off-base. I live in a really large city so quinoa is referenced often, but I can see where in a smaller centre people might be reading about it, but not hearing about it so the confusion is understandable. And with respect to gyros, I'm still not 100% comfortable with the pronunciation because, even though I live about two kilometres away from the Greek neighbourhood, I don't know anyone who eats that stuff and pretty the only reference I hear to them is, upon spotting one of those fly-specked posters in a restaurant window, is "how can anyone voluntarily ingest that crap". So, as far as I'm concerned, it's pronounced crap.
    I've done that more times than I think I know! I found out a couple of years ago that I've been saying incongruous incorrectly. I was pronouncing it with the emphasis on the syllables like incongruity, then I heard Tim Gunn say it on Project Runway. I had a feeling he had to be right. I looked it up and found out that the way I was saying it wasn't even a secondary pronunciation. I've been listening to a lot of audio books and think, oh, is that how you say that?!! Sometimes the way I say it is a dictionary approved second pronunciation so neither of us is wrong. The one I refuse to change the way I say is forte. It turns out that pronouncing it as 'fort' is an acceptable pronunciation. Not to me, it just needs that extra 'e' sound at the end for me to know what is being said. IMO a fort is an army stronghold, not a person's special talent or skill. I know now it is a correct pronunciation, I just don't like it.

    My older sister will do this occasionally and if I know how it is pronounced I realize she's probably read the word, and not heard it. One I knew from hearing, but always mispronounced it to myself when reading it is bivouac. MrCoz was in national guard when we first were married. I had occasion to hear him say it many times. However, for some odd reason I kept putting the 'o' before the 'v' when I said it to myself (bio - vac). No idea why I did that. It's still one that if I read it I have to consciously think of the correct way to say it.

  9. #17909
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,641

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    The first time I ever saw gyros, when my mom got some frozen ones, I assumed they were pronounced JI-rows, like a gyroscope. I learned the correct pronounciation years later after seeing them on a cooking show.

    It must drive the guys that sell gyros at the state fair nuts to have so many people come up to the booth and mispronounce them! Or maybe they don't care as long as they're getting paid.
    I learned how to pronouce it long ago, but whenever you go to a place to order one, EVERYONE there calls it JI-row, so, I feel odd to be the only person in line who says it differently though correctly. lol The workers don't care. They are used to it by now, I'm sure. This is in the capital city of our state. (NC)

  10. #17910
    Hey you! MiaT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,529

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    The one I refuse to change the way I say is forte. It turns out that pronouncing it as 'fort' is an acceptable pronunciation. Not to me, it just needs that extra 'e' sound at the end for me to know what is being said. IMO a fort is an army stronghold, not a person's special talent or skill. I know now it is a correct pronunciation, I just don't like it.
    And so the dumbing down of the population continues. I guess pronouncing forte as "fort" had to become accepted because people are too moronic to bother learning that forte is pronounced with the extre "e" sound because it's actually a French word (feminine version of 'fort'). This was probably determined to be acceptable by the same people who think "wa la!" is a real word/phrase instead of the correct "voila!"
    prhoshay likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.