+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Well I'm okay with my docs, but today renewed my dread of tire shops who try to do more. I had a screw in my tire and needed a patch, so I went to the usual place that had allegedly only changed names not owners (which later turned out to be false). In the course of trying to get my tire patched they tried to sell me new rear brakes and 4 new tires, in a breathless manner such that my car would suddenly implode were I not to buy them then & there. I shot them down on the brakes--I have a comprehensive maintenance warranty on my car that covers brakes, so if I go to the dealer, they're free. I also have a tire warranty, but I can't find a copy (need to get that from the dealer) and I'm not going to put new tires on until I check out what the warranty does. So lo & behold, then they can't patch my tire because it's too hard to fix. They only relent and give me a work-around because it was 20 minutes until closing time and they claim my tires are on back-order for months. Subsequently, I talked to the dealer about the brakes & tires, and they said they can check out the brakes easily and if the tires really do need to be replaced, it'd be 5 days max until they could get them in. It was like I was a friggin' mark coming into the tire store and so, so frustrating.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hate dealing with car places, too. I've had so many bad experiences at places around town and so few good experiences, it makes it a challenge to think of a reputable place to take my car when I need repairs. Even Super Lube has gotten money-hungry. I've learned to check my past receipts before going in for my oil change so that I know from last time what was due. I'm not going to have them talk me into replacing my cabin air filter or windshield wipers if I just did it on my last visit.

One of these days I need to see if there's a car maintenance class you can take so I can learn to either do simple maintenance things myself or at least know what they're talking about when I take my car to a shop. If I know how to check the air filter myself, I can see when it needs to be replaced.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I hate dealing with car places, too. I've had so many bad experiences at places around town and so few good experiences, it makes it a challenge to think of a reputable place to take my car when I need repairs. Even Super Lube has gotten money-hungry. I've learned to check my past receipts before going in for my oil change so that I know from last time what was due. I'm not going to have them talk me into replacing my cabin air filter or windshield wipers if I just did it on my last visit.

One of these days I need to see if there's a car maintenance class you can take so I can learn to either do simple maintenance things myself or at least know what they're talking about when I take my car to a shop. If I know how to check the air filter myself, I can see when it needs to be replaced.
    Not to mention I think they are like $10-15 at those do-it yourself shops!! My ex-husband used to be really handy with that stuff. I think it is the only thing I miss about him!!

One of these days I need to see if there's a car maintenance class you can take so I can learn to either do simple maintenance things myself or at least know what they're talking about when I take my car to a shop. If I know how to check the air filter myself, I can see when it needs to be replaced

It will the best thing you can do for yourself. I took one years ago, and it saved me money.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post

Our local high school offers a course in basic car maintenance through its Adult Education division. Very low cost and it runs for about 8 weeks.

I'm embarrassed to say I can't even change a flat. I've been married to a top notch auto mechanic for close to 30 years. He hears/knows about problems in my vehicle before even I am aware of it. Been buying GM vehicles for many, many years. Currently own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and besides normal maintenance have not had to do any major work to it. We keep our vehicles for well over 10 years. My last car was a 1991 Astro van. I sold it only because I was itching for a new vehicle....after 12 years I wanted something new. I love my Chevy!

With roadside assistance -I don't think a lot of people can change a tire ECM. I loved my GM tracker, had it for years. Always had GM vehicles. I have a Suzuki now , it can be tossed into 4x4 if needed in the snow. But it runs on a mouthful of gas during the summer. We keep our vehicles a long time as well, I love it when they are all paid off. Suzy Suzuki looks brand new. I want to keep her that way, so I walk everywhere now we have moved.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I can change a flat tire in a pinch and check my oil, but not much else. I was so relieved when I finally found a great mechanic in this city. The mechanic my family uses in my hometown is SO great, but since that's 400+ miles away from where I live, I had to find someone local. It only took me about 5 years!

There are so many unethical ones out there. They totally prey on women. I once got taken by Sears, of all places.

My mom actually works for our mechanic in my hometown and he's always said that the most reliable cars (or at least the ones he does the least amount of repairs on and that last the longest for his customers) in order are 1. Toyota 2. Honda 3. Nissan.....and that doesn't include makes like Infiniti and Lexus. I've had Toyotas since 1990...and that's two cars. I only got rid of the 1990 because I was gifted a 2002. I'm sure that old 1990 is still on the road! Before that, I had an old Beetle that blew up in spectacular fashion on a weekend getaway to Monterrey. I'll always buy Toyotas. I hate buying cars and dealing with all that nonsense. In my family, we drive a car until the wheels fall off! My RAV4 is 10 years old and I've hardly had to do anything other than oil changes and regular maintenance (battery, new brake pads, tires, etc.).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About cars, I totally believe in Toyotas. I am now driving a Nissan. I know enough to have a clue about basic maintenance of the cars. When somebody is checking under my hood, I am usually right there with them learning what I can and asking questions. The guys that I worked with also imparted me with a lot of "what to watch out for" knowledge. Our maintenance department could also be extremely helpful in fixing things, and I knew that I could trust them. I can never keep it straight, in my head, about how to hook up jumper cables, though. I can talk you through a tire change, but I'd rather not do it.....dirty work. I do know a lot of women who seem to know a lot about cars....and women share their knowledge. I've found that if you come across like you know something about what's going on under your hood, people are less inclined to try to take advantage of you.

And I keep my automobile club membership up to date!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was about 10 when I watched my mother change a tire when we took our cousins "haunted house hunting" and got a flat. I figured out quickly that was a skill I would need to know some day and watched her like a hawk. Like you said - not hard, but dirty work.
    Count your blessings!

When I was in high school, the friend who drove us all to and from school got a flat tire, which we discovered at lunch time. She was on the drill team, so she had practice after school, but instead of just walking home, two of us decided to change the tire. We'd never done it before, but thought it couldn't be that hard. Of course it was football season and she was parked by the practice field. We had a nice little audience while we worked! We were really lucky because, just as we tightened the last lug nut, the jack fell out from under the car. Whew!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread