+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7208Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I wish I liked walking! I need to be doing it for exercise but it's so boring. I thought it would be more fun to walk with someone but the few times I've gotten people from work to walk with me it didn't work out. They were either too slow, forcing me to slow down, or too fast, making me sprint to keep up with them.

I wish I had a pool because I love to swim. That's about the only form of exercise I really like.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I would not be willing to take a chance on what the dog's intentions were. Better it were eliminated than me or another person. It bugs me that owners can be so defensive about their animals behavior when they (the owners) are usually at the base of the animals' actions....while they say "No, no, no."

I am always wary around dogs; I think they are unpredictable....as all animals seem to be. I've read a report of even a Jack Russell causing the death of an infant. That surprised me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I wish I liked walking! I need to be doing it for exercise but it's so boring. I thought it would be more fun to walk with someone but the few times I've gotten people from work to walk with me it didn't work out. They were either too slow, forcing me to slow down, or too fast, making me sprint to keep up with them.

I wish I had a pool because I love to swim. That's about the only form of exercise I really like.
    When I was really big off into walking, I always went by myself since there were a lot of people (mostly elderly) already walking. I had my headphones and my favorite morning show playing, right after dropping my son off at school. I quickly made friends, by sight familiarity, and pretty quickly hooked up with several "walking buddies" who were at a comparable speed; we'd chat and laugh all of the time we were walking. It was downhill from there! And, if I didn't show up one day, people were asking where I was! It was a great group, even though we were of different age groups....and the "old people" could put you to shame with their speed! I also walked a track that had a definite measurement...4 times around was a mile. At the start of my walk, I would put 16 pebbles/rocks in my pocket and throw one away for each lap completed; that really seemed to help. I'd speed-walk that last lap, in celebration, then stretch out and go home! Took about an hour. Lost plenty of weight and gained mucho lots of stamina!!
    Hyper likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Duh! I didn't even think of using my iPod. I got one and had my son load it up when I used to do the treadmill at the Y and only use it now for shoveling snow. Thanks for reminding me about that, 'shay!
    Count your blessings!

Forgot to add that I only used one ear when I was listening to music so that I could hear what was going on around me...especially what might be coming up behind me.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've been thinking about getting an aquarium and some fish but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be caring for an aquarium again. My nephew had a goldfish when he was little and he kept it at my parent's house. I was the main person who kept the tank clean and it was a lot of work! However, I do like looking at fish.

I wonder how big aquariums take care of their tanks?? Is it easier to take care of a bigger tank than a littler tank because there's more room for debris to rot away without affecting the water quality for the fish?

I'm also not sure where I would keep the aquarium--at work, so I could see it during the day, or at home with me and the kitties.

I don't know if I will ever get an aquarium. I might start going to pet stores after work and looking at the fish on days when I get in the mood for aquarium watching. Or cut out pictures of fish and hang them by strings in a little aquarium so I can watch fish without having to care for them. Or just download a realistic-looking aquarium screensaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    It looks like the stats came from Dogsbite.org At least that is what I came up with after a quick search on the web. Rattus may have another source to post.
    Interesting

The Truth Behind Dogsbite.org - KC DOG BLOG

The Truth Behind Dogsbite.org
    Dogsbite.org is not an "expert" organization when it comes to canine behavior. There, I've said it.

While it seems that lately, several media outlets have been treating them like they have a particular knowledge on the subject of dog bites and attacks (I'll get to a possible "why" on that later in the post), it doesn't erase the reality that dogsbite.org is simply a website run almost entirely by an individual person who has an expertise in web design, access to google, and a desire to seek revenge on an attack that happened to her several years. Those are the qualifications behind the website. And it runs no deeper than that. And treating the website as anything more than that is a recipe bad information that will lead to less safe circumstances for people and dogs. Let me explain....
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

The only knowledge that I have on dogs is having always had them in my life. I've had and been around many different breeds and I've found that you can have an aggressive dog in any breed. Some of the behavior is caused by the lack of breed knowledge by the dog's owner and ignorance of their dog's personality. They try to make the dog behave in ways that contradict its breed behavior.
    One of my dogs is a Blue Heeler, and although they are supposed to be good around people, because of his personality, I would never leave him unattended with a stranger or a child. However, he is a great cattle dog and helps me tremendously. Also, due to his strong herding instincts and personality, I keep him separated from my other dogs.
    Having a dog is a big responsibility and you never know how they are going to react in every situation or what might trigger a normally non-aggressive dog.
    So, I guess I blame a lot of dog misbehavior on the ignorance of their owner and their inability in keeping their dog under control.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 07-09-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere View Post
    Then how about the CDC? Is that good enough a cite for you? Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996

And while I know Wikipedia should not be the be-all and end-all for information gathering, you can google the names of the decedents to verify that they were indeed killed by the breed of dog reported. List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I've been thinking about getting an aquarium and some fish but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be caring for an aquarium again. My nephew had a goldfish when he was little and he kept it at my parent's house. I was the main person who kept the tank clean and it was a lot of work! However, I do like looking at fish.

I wonder how big aquariums take care of their tanks?? Is it easier to take care of a bigger tank than a littler tank because there's more room for debris to rot away without affecting the water quality for the fish?

I'm also not sure where I would keep the aquarium--at work, so I could see it during the day, or at home with me and the kitties.

I don't know if I will ever get an aquarium. I might start going to pet stores after work and looking at the fish on days when I get in the mood for aquarium watching. Or cut out pictures of fish and hang them by strings in a little aquarium so I can watch fish without having to care for them. Or just download a realistic-looking aquarium screensaver.
    I love aquariums! They are much easier to keep clean than a goldfish bowl. First of all, you have a filter cleaning the water, and if you get a few snails, sucker fish, and catfish, they do a lot of cleaning. I'd keep it at home because you may find yourself staring at it for long periods of time which is unproductive at work, but a great stress reliever at home. You'll want to start out by running the filter and cleaning the water with drops and making sure the ph is right, then start with a small school of guppy-type fish - they come in rainbow colors and other variations - and then slowly add more. Find a good pet store with knowlegable staff.
    Two more thoughts - make sure you keep it out of sunlight or it will grow algae and resist the urge to feed them too much food.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 07-09-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread