+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6751Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Heavens forbid that a human life/safety should be saved/spared from a dog that has the propensity to be a known killer, and looked to be on his way to do just that. If this dog was not properly trained and secured by its owner, whose fault was it that the dog is now dead? Thank goodness that woman was saved.
    Was the dog attacking her or did he just shoot it to be safe? I hate that people think pit pulls are dangerous, its not the dogs that are dangerous, it is the people that own them and not properly train them. I myself would never shoot a dog unless I absolutely have to

Quote Originally Posted by shyra View Post
    Was the dog attacking her or did he just shoot it to be safe? I hate that people think pit pulls are dangerous, its not the dogs that are dangerous, it is the people that own them and not properly train them. I myself would never shoot a dog unless I absolutely have to
    The thing is, pit bulls are dangerous. Yes, lots of dogs bite, but few of them have the ability to KILL someone the way pits do. I'm sure getting bitten by say, a chihuahua, isn't pleasant, but I might just need a Bandaid or maybe a stitch. With a pit, I could lose my hand or worse. It's not the individual personality of the dog, it's the potential they have physically. I've met some sweet pit bulls and I wasn't afraid of them, but I'd never own one and wouldn't have one around other animals or children. I just wouldn't Every dog has the potential to snap at someone, but there are just a few breeds that could cause really serious injury.

I don't condone just shooting someone's dog, but you need to keep your dog leashed or contained in a yard. I've seen some previously sweet dogs go mental and attack another dog out of nowhere. I know someone who, when he was a sheriffs deputy, shot someone's pit bull as it was attacking and nearly killing his beagle puppy. That pit was previously non-aggressive. The beagle survived, thank God, but the pit's owner was furious, even after seeing the damage his dog did to that puppy

Unless you know the specific dog, you can't possibly know if that dog will really mean business. I feel uncomfortable about someone just driving by and thinking he needed to get in the middle of that, but since I wasn't there, I don't know what the real story is and if it really was a dire situation. IMO, the person to blame in that scenario is the owner who let their dog run loose.

I wonder if that guy who shot the dog had a permit for that gun......
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Pitbulls are not killers. It is their humans fault. Pitbulls are vilified now. They are the "killer dogs" of this decade. Remember in the 70's it was dobermans? or german shepards?

We weren't there to see what happened. Maybe the dog wasn't charging the woman. Many times people who are afraid of dogs will tell of a dog attacking only to find out it had other intentions. To play? or maybe running from a abusive owner? The real story won't ever be known unfortunately. The whole story is sad.
    Lil Bit, shyra and coltnlasma like this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Of the 88 dog attack fatalities that occurred in the U.S. between 2006 and 2009, 52 of those deaths were caused by pit bulls. During that same period, 16 of those deaths occurred off of the owner’s property. Of those 16, 13 were caused by pit bulls. And a good number of their owners said “oh no, s/he’s never done such a thing before”. As an avid cyclist, I can affirm that the vast majority of dogs that make a snarling run at me as I cycle past are pit bulls. In fact, I can only recall one that wasn’t (that one was a rottweiler). Fortunately pit bulls hereabouts are muzzled by law, or I’m certain that I’d be missing a leg because their owners don’t seem to have much of a grip on the vicious little bastards.

The risk involved in pit bull contact has not been overstated.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I've been meaning to start a walking routine for quite a while now, but was afraid I wasn't in shape enough. I started yesterday after doing a LOT of walking at my various vacation destinations (the Cape visiting my daughter, Ohio/Mom, Chautauqua, NY). I'm pleased to report that I walked almost an hour yesterday to the park, around the lake, and back home and NO DOGS barking on my route. Today I swim and lift weights, but may take an evening walk if it isn't too hot.
    Cootie, nennie and inthegarden like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Of the 88 dog attack fatalities that occurred in the U.S. between 2006 and 2009, 52 of those deaths were caused by pit bulls. During that same period, 16 of those deaths occurred off of the owner’s property. Of those 16, 13 were caused by pit bulls. And a good number of their owners said “oh no, s/he’s never done such a thing before”. As an avid cyclist, I can affirm that the vast majority of dogs that make a snarling run at me as I cycle past are pit bulls. In fact, I can only recall one that wasn’t (that one was a rottweiler). Fortunately pit bulls hereabouts are muzzled by law, or I’m certain that I’d be missing a leg because their owners don’t seem to have much of a grip on the vicious little bastards.

The risk involved in pit bull contact has not been overstated.

Do you have a link for your statistics you quoted?
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere View Post
    Do you have a link for your statistics you quoted?
    It looks like the stats came from Dogsbite.org At least that is what I came up with after a quick search on the web. Rattus may have another source to post.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It may well be the owner's fault, not the dog's fault, for how the animal was raised but when an animal is charging, fining or imprisoning the owner isn't going to do anything to stop the attack. Sadly, shooting the dog is justified in that case.

After the fact they can try to track down the owner. If their dog was running loose and not confined, they should face charges. If the dog escaped from their confines, I wouldn't be so harsh with the owner. My sister had a dog who was an escape artist. We had to keep him for a few weeks once and we had the worst time keeping that darn dog in our yard, despite having a fence all the way around the yard. He kept finding ways to get out, either by digging, jumping over the fence, or chewing through gaps in the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I've been meaning to start a walking routine for quite a while now, but was afraid I wasn't in shape enough. I started yesterday after doing a LOT of walking at my various vacation destinations (the Cape visiting my daughter, Ohio/Mom, Chautauqua, NY). I'm pleased to report that I walked almost an hour yesterday to the park, around the lake, and back home and NO DOGS barking on my route. Today I swim and lift weights, but may take an evening walk if it isn't too hot.
    I love to walk. It's great for me, I can adjust my distance to how I feel and its easier on my knees than running. I like to take my dogs (when possible) and camera along to snap interesting nature photos. And, I find it is great therapy for my mind. I still do the same stretches that I used to do for running.

I love to walk, too, inthegarden. It's my favorite form of exercise. In the winter I like to use my treadmill, but in the summer I prefer walking and enjoying nature at the same time.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread