+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6195Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

A woman was walking down the street, and a pit bull that had gotten loose from his home came charging at her. A man, who was driving by, stopped his car, got out and shot the dog dead....and left the scene; probably had no business having the gun, but.....Who Was That Masked Man???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Wow! Did you witness it?
    I just got back from celebrating my mom's 80th birthday in Ohio. We had relatives from California, Texas, Mass., Penn., etc. The first night, a tornado hit and we never had electricity from that point on, but somehow we managed to have a blast anyway.
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I have another question: does anyone know how long a mothball retains its mothbally odour? The reason I ask is that last fall squirrels moved into a hole they gnawed at the front of our house. We kept blocking it off, they kept gnawing/pulling off the blockade and moving back in. I had read somewhere that mothballs are a squirrel repellant, so Mr. Rattus put some in the squirrel nest and added a few extra layers of metal, mesh and wood over the hole, and that seems to have done the trick. However, once it started getting warm, and then incredibly hot, mothball miasma started drifting down through the walls of our house and up through the basement, so now our house stinks like the attic of a grandma. I need to know how long we can expect to have to live with this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, I just googled your moth ball question and there were lots of results. What I could see was that the smell lasts until the moth balls disintegrate which could be 6 months or longer if you live in a humid area. One person suggested using Febreeze to mask the smell. I hope you find relief soon, that smell is pretty disgusting.

Any chance you can retrieve the mothballs? Maybe put them in front of the blockade instead of inside it.
    Count your blessings!

Peg
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    A woman was walking down the street, and a pit bull that had gotten loose from his home came charging at her. A man, who was driving by, stopped his car, got out and shot the dog dead....and left the scene; probably had no business having the gun, but.....Who Was That Masked Man???
    Applauding a coward that shoots a dog and then runs away? WTF ? I'm glad it wasn't one of my rescue dogs because I'd hunt the bastard down and shoot him .
    This will be my last post here obviously.

Thanks for the mothball info. Unfortunately Mr. Rattus won’t be able to get up to the roof until some time in the fall, and we’re not entirely sure whether the patchwork would be replaceable anyway, and I loathe the smell of Febreze nearly as much as I loathe the smell of mothballs so that’s not really an option. Sadly I guess I’ll just have to live with it for the duration.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Thanks for the mothball info. Unfortunately Mr. Rattus won’t be able to get up to the roof until some time in the fall, and we’re not entirely sure whether the patchwork would be replaceable anyway, and I loathe the smell of Febreze nearly as much as I loathe the smell of mothballs so that’s not really an option. Sadly I guess I’ll just have to live with it for the duration.
    So the smell is coming from the basement via the wall cavity? I just read an article that may have some other ways to absorb the smell. It might not be that practical because the mothballs are in an inaccessible place, but maybe some of these tricks might work in your basement? I hope this doesn't seem crazy and I guess it couldn't hurt if you happened to have any of these items around. I know that we take cigarette smells out of returned library books by wrapping them in newspaper. It really works! All of these tricks say to put the items in drawers, etc so they may be worthless to you, but there might be a spot you pinpoint in the wall area where the smell is drifting down from your hole that you could insert any of these fixes.

Coffee

Freshly ground coffee works very well to get rid of all types of odors. Place small shallow bowls of dry ground coffee in drawers, cabinets, and closets, and allow them to remain closed for at least 3 days. Truck drivers use ground coffee to get rid of dirty oily odors inside their semi cabs, and if coffee can get rid of those difficult odors, it can greatly reduce or completely get rid of the smell of mothballs.

Charcoal

One of the best natural odor absorbers is charcoal briquettes. Fill shallow pans or bowls with the same charcoal briquettes used for grilling, and allow them to remain enclosed in a cedar chest, cabinets, closets, and drawers. They'll naturally absorb and get rid of the odor, and the longer they remain in wood cabinets, closets, and drawers, the better.

Newspaper

Ordinary newspaper is also a natural odor absorber, and it can help get rid of the smell of mothballs in a cedar chest, wood cabinets, and drawers. Wad up several sheets of newsprint, and fill areas that smell like mothballs. Allow the paper to work to get rid of the smell of mothballs for several days before removing.

I would just add that if you decide to go with charcoal - make sure it's not the instant light kind soaked in lighter fluid. Just sayin'...
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    Applauding a coward that shoots a dog and then runs away? WTF ? I'm glad it wasn't one of my rescue dogs because I'd hunt the bastard down and shoot him .
    This will be my last post here obviously.
    Heavens forbid that a human life/safety should be saved/spared from a dog that has the propensity to be a known killer, and looked to be on his way to do just that. If this dog was not properly trained and secured by its owner, whose fault was it that the dog is now dead? Thank goodness that woman was saved.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread