+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7110Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Having never spawned this isn't something I've ever paid much attention to, but it has been dawning on me recently through various readings that the U.S. only has twelve weeks maternity leave? Is that correct? If so, that is just ridiculous. We have a year up here in the Great White North, which can be split between maternity and paternity leave, and I'm pretty sure most other countries have a reasonable amount of time of to bond with the offspring.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Yet another great reason to move to the North!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

While up to 12 weeks of family or parental leave is allowed under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which was instituted in 1993, there's no provision that this time off from work must be paid. FMLA essentially only allows you to take time off from work for birth or adoption purposes, and protects you from losing your job for doing so.

Somes states have passed laws mandating paid parental leave. And some employers offer it voluntarily for periods exceeding 12 weeks. In the US, whetheror not you have any kind of paid parental leave really depends on where you live and who you work for.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FoRTer

^So true. I remember when pregnant with my first child, doing contract work that ended a month before my due date. I asked to be classified as maternity leave instead of unemployed, to avoid a break in insurance coverage before the birth. Imagine my surprise when I continued to receive paychecks! I called thinking it was a mistake but my employer said she always paid maternity leave. Talk about an unexpected blessing. I guess our ways here in the US seem odd, but it really makes you appreciate the great employers.

I think it's shameful that we're pretty much the only country on this list (Australia was the only other one I could find) that doesn't mandate paid maternity leave: Paid Maternity Leave > Parental Leave statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That is shocking, particularly when you note that those bastions of human rights Afghanistan, China and Iran all have 90 days paid maternity leave.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I had a kind of scary health thing happen yesterday and got in to see a doctor in my internist's practice (she doesn't work on Fridays) and had a blood test. I always ALWAYS give my cell number for call backs, but my land line must be in the system somewhere. Well, my caller ID on my land line told me they called my house at 3:30 (I don't have an answering machine because the land line really is for the security system and in the event of hurricanes). I'm crossing my fingers that they didn't move down to the cell or work numbers because it wasn't that urgent. Or maybe it was about something else--does blood drawn at noon really get results back by 3:30? That's never happened before. I'm nattering...I just hate not knowing and having to wait until Monday.

I really dont think that they could have had the results so soon! Its probably because of some form that had to be filled/missing info kind of thing. I can imagine how worried you must be because you have to wait the whole weekend. I hate waiting for test results even when I am not expecting to hear anything negative!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If they have the ability/lab right there on site, you can get results back pretty quickly. I've only had one doctor's office that had that capability, but I do know that sometimes is the case, and that was pretty cool. My current doc's practice has to send the samples out of the office to have determinations made.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My labs are done in house. Depending on the test, some results are ready within the hour.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread