+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6411Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Here and there, I'll devote a lesson time to following directions — spoken and written. We have fun with it, and it works. For awhile. Maybe some day it'll take...
    I remember when I was in high school I had a test (I'm sure some of you have heard of this happening) where the teacher told us to read all the instructions and all the questions on the test before we started. How many people just jumped right in. The last line of the test said "Sign your name at the bottom and turn this test into the teacher at the end of class without doing anything else". Luckily, I was a good listener! I can't tell you how many of my friends struggled for about 30 minutes - and then you could collectively here the "Oh Man" go up when everyone got to the end!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I remember when I was in high school I had a test (I'm sure some of you have heard of this happening) where the teacher told us to read all the instructions and all the questions on the test before we started. How many people just jumped right in. The last line of the test said "Sign your name at the bottom and turn this test into the teacher at the end of class without doing anything else". Luckily, I was a good listener! I can't tell you how many of my friends struggled for about 30 minutes - and then you could collectively here the "Oh Man" go up when everyone got to the end!!
    My 6th grade English teacher gave us that one. I was the only kid in class who passed that one!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A long time ago, probably in college, I developed the habit of starting on the last page when I took a test. Nobody ever gave ME a test like that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I am going to have to tell my 11-year-old son the story about that test. I am always trying to stress with him to read directions. More than a few times when looking over his math homework I have discovered that he jumped in without reading directions. For example, finding exact solutions to problems when the directions said to estimate. Hopefully they will learn eventually that it takes less time overall when you read the directions and don't have to redo the work later when you discover it's all wrong!

What's that old saying again? "When all else fails, read the directions."
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Huge score at the recycling center today... a huge box of castle Legos with dragons of all sizes. I have young neighbors beside me and across the street who tend to droop by when the weather gets nice. That ought to entertain them.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Huge score at the recycling center today... a huge box of castle Legos with dragons of all sizes. I have young neighbors beside me and across the street who tend to droop by when the weather gets nice. That ought to entertain them.
    Kids, schmidz. I wanna play with that Lego set!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Come on over! There aren't any directions, so we'll have to use our imaginations.
    Count your blessings!

After being co-guardians of my niece and nephew today we go to court to sever the rights of the mother and fathers so their grandmother can adopt them. My sister and I have had them for most of their lives. My sister is their grandmother. We don't know if the mother will show up in court or not and the father's I am sure won't be there but you never know. We have had guardianship of the kids for 6 years and the parents have did nothing to support them or visit them. One of the fathers is in prison and one is out of state and the mother hasn't seen them in over 4 years. Hope all goes well.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'll be thinking good thoughts, nennie. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread