+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    How many people have jumped to a credit union, and away from a bank?? I've been with my credit union for 20+ years, so I didn't get the pleasure of moving away! Credit unions have always seemed like a better deal to me.
    My husband and I switched to a credit union shortly after we got married, nearly two decades ago. We've never regretted it. So for us, today was "Stay With Your CU Day"!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We've been with the CU for 14 years. The only thing I don't like about ours is the fact they hate lending us money. Our account is never in the negatives and we pay our bills on time. Plus, between the two of us, we have three jobs. They wouldn't lend to us for our house so we went to a broker. They did lend for our truck, which has been paid off for five years and we only made one late payment. My husband recently bought a used car to traipse back and forth to work (he drives one hour each way) and they wouldn't give him the full loan. Only partial. We had to dip into our savings just to buy it. But when he goes to our sons bank to co-sign for them, we get no hassle. It's odd. Especially considering our credit scores are great.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Thanks, school libraries (and public libraries for that matter) are hanging on for their lives right now. My job has been greatly reduced (over a month of time and pay to get my work done). I was fortunate to get a job for the summer that I loved doing, but it was minimum wage - the good news is that it will help me get by. While we all know that so much information can be found online these days, our kids don't all have access to technology at home and they don't all have access to books, either! My days are full of helping kids who are thirsty to have human interaction in a creative environment where they can find adventures in books and learn about how to safely use the internet. They love being handed a brand new book or an old, well-loved title. And they bring them back and want more! Being paid for 180 days spread out over most of the year is hard, but some of my "pay" comes in the form of the pleasure I get filling the needs of my little patrons. But I get frustrated nearly every day about the lack of funding for schools. And the worst is not over in my state. I am sure glad that Gutmutter has the retirement home set up for us

Cootie (and anyone else that works with kids) Thank you! Thank you for all that you do to enrich the lives of all of our kids.
    Cootie and Baby's Breath like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Somebody explain to me WHY people insist on paying for debts and bills in cash, but don't bother to get receipts and then expect somebody to believe that they've paid. I have never understood this mentality my whole life, and I want to. It just seems shady, to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Being paid for 180 days spread out over most of the year is hard, but some of my "pay" comes in the form of the pleasure I get filling the needs of my little patrons. But I get frustrated nearly every day about the lack of funding for schools. And the worst is not over in my state. I am sure glad that Gutmutter has the retirement home set up for us
    I would also like to send a giant THANK YOU to teachers, librarians, etc who work with kids. It is a challenging job!!!

This week my town voted on a levy referendum for our local schools. It passed which is fantastic, but I was really worried because the last two attempts have failed and there were an alarming number of "Vote NO to property taxes" signs in my community. Our current referendum was expiring, so if this hadn't passed the schools would have been losing a significant amount of money. And that is on TOP of the fact that this levy proposal was still at the bottom of the barrel when compared to levies in other towns in our region. I understand that everyone is trying to be frugal in this environment, but when the average tax increase comes out to about $5 a month it strikes me as the obvious choice. I'm quite certain I can give up $5 worth of something else each month to help our students succeed. We all win when our communities produce well educated children who are ready to become contributing members of society.

OK. I need to take a deep breathe. I think I'm done ranting now.

My daughter came home from college yesterday afternoon en route to Thanksgiving in Ohio. Just one night with me driving her to the airport in the morning. Then she realizes she left her passport (no driver's license) back at school 5 hours away. Drama and sobbing ensued. No I would not drive 10 hours round trip overnight to retrieve it. Luckily my other daughter is a pilot and unearthed TSA rules that state she can use her birth certificate with raised seal and SS card (I had both on file) along with her school photo ID. I also happened to have a photocopy of her passport in case they needed to verify the number. We had to leave home at 2:30 a.m. to get there (2 hour drive) in time to make sure the whole thing worked out. They did have to call in a supervisor at security and he appeared to be grilling her, but she handled it calmly and I closed my eyes and willed him to pass her through. Anyway - she made it and I was back home by 6:30. Be sure to thank your mom this thanksgiving. You have no idea.
    PGM35, Cootie and Poppy Fields like this.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Gut, you had me at the 4-hour round trip airport drive for a one-night stay. You are a great mom (and a great record keeper)!

The one-night stay was with me. She'll be in Ohio until after Thanksgiving with all her cousins.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I got that, Gut. You drove her 2 hours to the airport afterwards, and drove back home after seeing her safely aboard. Again, great mom!

OK - been up since 2:30 and when I re-read what I wrote it seemed like it could be read either way. Off to bed for me!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread