+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6939Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I find the cold weather sees me online more. When I think of how things were before I got a computer, it reminds me of when I was a kid and couldnt imagine how my parents generation got along without tv when they were kids!!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Here's one for you:

Love this!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I find the cold weather sees me online more. When I think of how things were before I got a computer, it reminds me of when I was a kid and couldnt imagine how my parents generation got along without tv when they were kids!!
    Yep, I'm glad we didn't have computers when I was a kid. I would never have seen the outdoors!

We had a tv when I was growing up but my parents usually determined what we got to watch and when the tv would be on. We could watch Saturday morning cartoons but other than that, we only got to watch what my parents watched or if we saw commercials for a movie we wanted to see on public television (like Charlotte's Web or the Wizard of Oz) we could ask if we could watch it. My parents didn't let us be babysat by the tv and I think that's a good thing. I turned to bike riding and reading for entertainment, much healthier pastimes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yeah....we were much rowdier, back in the day! And not as fat as what we are seeing these days. "Recess" was not a 4-letter word.....we (the girls) played 4-Square, Red Rover, volleyball, and softball...anything to get busy and tired out! The guys would play something I remember being called "Smear", and they'd come back to class bloody and all scraped up, smelling like sweaty boys, but happy. I remember walking long distances to get where I thought I wanted to go, and later I learned to ride the bus....usually having to walk a good distance to get to the bus stop.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Yeah....we were much rowdier, back in the day! And not as fat as what we are seeing these days. "Recess" was not a 4-letter word.....we (the girls) played 4-Square, Red Rover, volleyball, and softball...anything to get busy and tired out! The guys would play something I remember being called "Smear", and they'd come back to class bloody and all scraped up, smelling like sweaty boys, but happy. I remember walking long distances to get where I thought I wanted to go, and later I learned to ride the bus....usually having to walk a good distance to get to the bus stop.
    When I was a kid that game had a similar name, but I'm hesitant to post it here. Back in the day I didn't think much of the name, but now it sounds offensively homophobic!

My seven year old daughter was walking around the house last night singing "Girls go to college to get more knowledge, Boys go to Jupiter to get more..." She was either not saying "stupider" or whispering it because she knows "stupid" is a bad word in our house! It just made me think that things have changed far less that I had thought!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    It is good to see so many of you reply to this thread. I have been pretty quiet, too. Working hard. A little depressed about my job situation and some other things so I have been lurking more than posting. Now that it is getting colder and the days are getting "shorter", perhaps we will all spend a little more time online?
    I hope things turn around for you Cootie. The last time I recall seeing a post from you, you were talking about a potentially really exciting opportunity at work. I think it was related to text book improvements. I hope that stuff is working out for you!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 11-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.

I hate surprises.....unless it's a lot of MONEY with no strings attached!!!

Sadly, I don't think any such animal exists.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    ...I hope things turn around for you Cootie. The last time I recall seeing a post from you, you were talking about a potentially really exciting opportunity at work. I think it was related to text book improvements. I hope that stuff is working out for you!
    Thanks, school libraries (and public libraries for that matter) are hanging on for their lives right now. My job has been greatly reduced (over a month of time and pay to get my work done). I was fortunate to get a job for the summer that I loved doing, but it was minimum wage - the good news is that it will help me get by. While we all know that so much information can be found online these days, our kids don't all have access to technology at home and they don't all have access to books, either! My days are full of helping kids who are thirsty to have human interaction in a creative environment where they can find adventures in books and learn about how to safely use the internet. They love being handed a brand new book or an old, well-loved title. And they bring them back and want more! Being paid for 180 days spread out over most of the year is hard, but some of my "pay" comes in the form of the pleasure I get filling the needs of my little patrons. But I get frustrated nearly every day about the lack of funding for schools. And the worst is not over in my state. I am sure glad that Gutmutter has the retirement home set up for us

I wish I could take in everyone, right now, who is having trouble making ends meet.
    Count your blessings!

Don't forget to turn your clocks back tonight before bed!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

How many people have jumped to a credit union, and away from a bank?? I've been with my credit union for 20+ years, so I didn't get the pleasure of moving away! Credit unions have always seemed like a better deal to me.
    Ellen likes this.

+ Reply to Thread