+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6188Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We started working with clay yesterday... my area of least expertise, so I was nervous. The students loved it! I know enough to give them the basic techniques and most of them have learned a little from other years, but the real fun started when I had two girls staying after and I dragged out a couple of the potter's wheels that have never been used. There are only 6 of them and past teachers didn't want to bother with them. I got two lumps of clay centered (the hard part) and let them go at it with a bucket of water. They were in absolute heaven! I only have one small kiln and 125 students, so I can't actually have them each make a thrown pot and fire it (I'd have to live at the school and fire the kiln non-stop). Oh yeah - and I've never fired a kiln by myself before. The old art teacher came in and showed me how and the instructions are right on the front, but until I've had a successful firing, I'm going to be nervous about blowing up all their work. Worst case scenario... we switch to plaster embedded gauze strips next week.

I youtubed the potting scene from Ghost to see if it would be appropriate to show the class... um - NO!
    Count your blessings!

In the worst case scenario, just say what my High school art teacher did when some pieces blew-up...Oh, I'm so sorry you must not have gotten all the air bubbles out. Fact or Fiction who knows, we didn't care, we just had fun with the process.

A friend years ago had a pottery shop and let me come in and do a few pieces! I love working with my hands! I loved GHOSTfor the pottery portion, although Demi and Patrick were great!!

I LOVE throwing pots, it is so much fun! I haven't done it in years, but I heard recently that there is a pace in my area where I could go. This reminded me that I need to go look it up!!

I've been using my hands in a different way. I knit this sweater over the course of about 8 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I've been using my hands in a different way. I knit this sweater over the course of about 8 months.
    Wow great job.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Newf! I'm impressed as well. I used to knit and recently only do scarves for gifts. Nice sweater.
    Had a horrible day with clay today... things had dried with cracks and breaks. Hard to pace 125 kids every day and have them all pay attention to instruction.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Holy crap, Newf -- you're awesome!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

That's some excellent knitting right there. Great job newfherder~
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Gorgeous sweater, Newfherder! You've got skills!

+ Reply to Thread