+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7120Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

This is a question for parents of teenagers....

God knows why, but I ended up with a free subscription to Seventeen Magazine. I didn't sign up for it, but there it was in my mailbox today. I have a friend with an 11 year old daughter, so I thought I'd just pass it on to her. Then I looked a bit more closely and now I wonder if it's too grown up for her. I read Seventeen in junior high and don't remember it being so, um "Cosmo Junior." There's a headline on the cover that says something like "Be his best hookup ever!" WTF? Does "hookup" mean something other than what I think it means? That's not even something that should be directed at 17 year olds, IMO.

Am I overreacting, out of touch or just being a prude? I don't have kids, so maybe I just don't know what's acceptable any more. I have to say, looking through that magazine made me feel absolutely ancient!

I will admit that I had a few subscription to Cosmo a while back and I thought IT went too far as well. It used to be just titillating and I found it to be trashy. Apparently, Helen Gurley Brown was actually keeping Cosmo classy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I would not give Seventeen to an 11 yr. old. It goes over the top a lot of times. My daughter had a subscription in high school and I would look through it and think, "Well, that's one less mother-daughter talk we need to have!"
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

17 years old is too young to be hooking up with anyone. Shame on the magazine for promoting that! It ought to be renamed Jail Bait magazine.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I would not give Seventeen to an 11 yr. old. It goes over the top a lot of times. My daughter had a subscription in high school and I would look through it and think, "Well, that's one less mother-daughter talk we need to have!"
    Maybe because the article was there was even MORE reason to have a mother-daughter talk on a subject? Kind of like a "jumping-off point"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think I'd call the friend and ask her what she wants for her daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    There's a headline on the cover that says something like "Be his best hookup ever!" WTF? Does "hookup" mean something other than what I think it means? That's not even something that should be directed at 17 year olds, IMO.

Am I overreacting, out of touch or just being a prude? I don't have kids, so maybe I just don't know what's acceptable any more. I have to say, looking through that magazine made me feel absolutely ancient!
    The first thing I would probably do would be read that article to see if the definition of "hook up" has changed - I sure don't think it has!! Either way, I certainly would not give it to the 11 year old.

And no, I don't think you are being a prude. Just because people are hooking up with strangers all the time on shows like The Real World and Jersey Shore, doesn't mean that drunken hookups are the kind of thing we need to condone with our children!

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    This is a question for parents of teenagers....

God knows why, but I ended up with a free subscription to Seventeen Magazine. I didn't sign up for it, but there it was in my mailbox today. I have a friend with an 11 year old daughter, so I thought I'd just pass it on to her. Then I looked a bit more closely and now I wonder if it's too grown up for her. I read Seventeen in junior high and don't remember it being so, um "Cosmo Junior." There's a headline on the cover that says something like "Be his best hookup ever!" WTF? Does "hookup" mean something other than what I think it means? That's not even something that should be directed at 17 year olds, IMO.

I will admit that I had a few subscription to Cosmo a while back and I thought IT went too far as well. It used to be just titillating and I found it to be trashy. Apparently, Helen Gurley Brown was actually keeping Cosmo classy!
    I don't think you are overreacting, out of touch or a prude. These magazines are just a waste of money~~quite evil when you look at the content. I read Tiger Beat, Seventeen and Cosmo for the titillating articles, tips and advice. What I didn't realize (until many, many years later) was that it was eroding my self esteem, little by little, month after month. Just look at the titles and headlines. How to make him fall in love with you, how to look better, how to be a better lover,how to do this better, how to do that better. The very subliminal message these magazines perpetuate are that you are never good enough unless you do this or that, wear certain clothing, have a certain hairstyle, apply your makeup a certain way etc. Even so-called women's magazines are all about the "improve yourself or your life mantra"

I'd send the magazine back and see if you can get one that you actually do like to read. Perhaps try to haggle to get a more costly magazine but a shorter subscription.
    MiaT2 and Poppy Fields like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I don't think you are overreacting, out of touch or a prude. These magazines are just a waste of money~~quite evil when you look at the content. I read Tiger Beat, Seventeen and Cosmo for the titillating articles, tips and advice. What I didn't realize (until many, many years later) was that it was eroding my self esteem, little by little, month after month. Just look at the titles and headlines. How to make him fall in love with you, how to look better, how to be a better lover,how to do this better, how to do that better. The very subliminal message these magazines perpetuate are that you are never good enough unless you do this or that, wear certain clothing, have a certain hairstyle, apply your makeup a certain way etc. Even so-called women's magazines are all about the "improve yourself or your life mantra"

I'd send the magazine back and see if you can get one that you actually do like to read. Perhaps try to haggle to get a more costly magazine but a shorter subscription.
    I probably will contact the publisher and see if I can get a different title. I definitely won't read this.

My friend and I talked about it because, even though I'd all but decided that the mag was too mature for her daughter, I thought I'd give her the option. We both agreed that it's too mature for her, even though she does already wear makeup and is more mature for her age.

I may be mis-remembering Seventeen from when I was young, but I don't ever remember it being so, well, sexual. It was about makeup and hair and boys and stuff, but not like this. If it had been, I know my mother never would have allowed it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    What I didn't realize (until many, many years later) was that it was eroding my self esteem, little by little, month after month. Just look at the titles and headlines. How to make him fall in love with you, how to look better, how to be a better lover,how to do this better, how to do that better. The very subliminal message these magazines perpetuate are that you are never good enough unless you do this or that, wear certain clothing, have a certain hairstyle, apply your makeup a certain way etc. Even so-called women's magazines are all about the "improve yourself or your life mantra"
    Amen!!!!! A thousand times AMEN!

And even the clothes are beyond fug nowadays. I had a subscription to Marie Claire and I couldn't wait for it to end because I hated it so much - the clothes, makeup and accessories were ugly and overpriced. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of that junk. All of them I just look at and cringe at their absurdity.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    Amen!!!!! A thousand times AMEN!

And even the clothes are beyond fug nowadays. I had a subscription to Marie Claire and I couldn't wait for it to end because I hated it so much - the clothes, makeup and accessories were ugly and overpriced. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of that junk. All of them I just look at and cringe at their absurdity.
    I've had subscriptions to most of the fashion magazines at one time or another and my favorite is Glamour. They tend to publish articles with some substance. ALL fashion magazines are inherently about fantasy and, although I do find it offputting that the "affordable" options (vs. the splurge) they give can be in the $300 range, I do like seeing the trends. Right now, I get Harper's Bazaar and maybe Elle (it might have expired, I can't keep track!), although I've gotten Marie Claire, W and a few others.

When I had a (free) Cosmo subscription a few years ago, I felt like a major prude. I couldn't believe how close it had come to Penthouse Forum. It really is NOT a fashion mag anymore AT ALL.

When I got Seventeen back over 20 years ago, there were makeup tips and dating tips, but it was more innocent. The "How to Make Him Like You" articles had tips like "Be sure to smile a lot" "Be friendly and say 'hello' when you see him in the halls at school." This new incarnation of Seventeen just made me kind of sad over how children are now being treated as adults.

+ Reply to Thread