+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6993Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My neighborhood in Chelsea in Manhattan is in the evacuation zone because of our proximity to the Hudson River so I'm in CT right now where I'm very close to the Long Island Sound! Sending out positive vibes for everyone in the path of Irene.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    My neighborhood in Chelsea in Manhattan is in the evacuation zone because of our proximity to the Hudson River so I'm in CT right now where I'm very close to the Long Island Sound! Sending out positive vibes for everyone in the path of Irene.
    Thanks for checking in, chris. Stay safe!

My son lives in Brooklyn but he is farther inland and his area was not evacuated. I live on the South shore of Long Island, NY and the most southerly part of our town and neighboring communities had a mandatory evacuation. I was actually away at our second home in the Pocono Mts. of Pennsylvania but returned to NY earlier today.
    My husband wanted to stay there to ride out the hurricane but my youngest son was home alone in NY and I didn't want him to weather the storm by himself. Right now we are having light rain. I've heard conflicting reports as to when the storm will hit (either 9 pm or 2 am tomorrow.)

I don't know what to expect but I am hoping for the best. Reiterating chrisg's thoughts and hope everyone in Irene's path weathers the hurricane and is safe.

I made the mistake of looking for a flashlight a few hours ago. They tried and failed to sell me a mini one for $13. I said to myself, " I'm not going to play this game." So, when my mom got home I started toying around with the oil lamp, I got it to work for the first time in the 7 years that I've had it. Awesomeness! Now I've got movies to watch.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Several advantages to facebook. I get to pick my friends and only they get to read and comment instead of EVERYONE doing that. I can control what is said by removing inappropriate comments.
    I have reconnected with many old friends that I had lost contact with. I can get information to all my family and friends with one posting.
    I don't play the games, I don't collect people. 95% of my facebook friends are real life friends.

But I really like having the contol to delete people or messages if there is a problem, which is seldom as the people on there are not strangers nor anonymous but hand picked. I get news I might miss from my hometown. Today I found out one of my dad's friends passed away. It is also easier to use for me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How strange is it that I know 2 people (of the opposite sexes) with exactly same name? One person has the name "Kim", the other has the name "Kelly"....and they both have the exact same last names! As in "Kim Jones" (male and female) and "Kelly Smith" (male and female)! Bizarro, huh?!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

But I really like having the contol to delete people or messages if there is a problem, which is seldom as the people on there are not strangers nor anonymous but hand picked. I get news I might miss from my hometown. Today I found out one of my dad's friends passed away. It is also easier to use for me.
    Speaking from another viewpoint-A couple of times I've been defriended. No reason I can think of. And it hurts. So I can only think of 2 people I have removed from my friends list in all the years I've been on FB.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    How strange is it that I know 2 people (of the opposite sexes) with exactly same name? One person has the name "Kim", the other has the name "Kelly"....and they both have the exact same last names! As in "Kim Jones" (male and female) and "Kelly Smith" (male and female)! Bizarro, huh?!
    That double name, double coincidence is pretty freaky, Shay!

It seems like guys used to get names that you’d think would skew female quite a bit more – maybe until they started getting teased over them. Like Francis and Ashley, which I can’t believe every time I watch Gone with the Wind – that Scarlett was pining over an Ashley compared to an alpha-Rhett! Your Manning brother, Peyton, actually has a name that I used to think of as being a girl’s name - probably because I went to school with a female Peyton - but he makes it cool.

I love names that skew the other way, probably because my name shortens to a guy’s name -- or neutral gender first names for girls/women that mostly stem from last names. I love Spencer, Cameron and McKenzie for a girl. One of my best guy friends is a McKenzie and I always tell him that I’m going to name my future daughter after him. I think he's not sure that's a compliment even though I mean it that way.

Are the guys you know named Kelly and Kim sensitive regarding their first names, Shay? I think Kelly is still pretty popular as a guy's first name in Australia.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Neither person seems to be sensitive to their names, and I don't think they know each other! The "Kims" have a less than common last name that they spell the same way, too!

I even thought about you when I was making that post, talking about my unusual stories! I thought "Here I go again! She just might be right!"

Weird things seem to have a way of finding me. I no longer question them; I just say "OK," and keep on moving.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-31-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Neither person seems to be sensitive to their names, and I don't think they know each other! The "Kims" have a less than common last name that they spell the same way, too!

I even thought about you when I was making that post, talking about my unusual stories! I thought "Here I go again! She just might be right!"

Weird things seem to have a way of finding me. I no longer question them; I just say "OK," and keep on moving.

You're such an observant person that keeps an eye out for unique occurrences and then articulately passes them on to us. I love it!!

CCL

Speaking of same names and Facebook : There was a news story a while back about a couple who met on Facebook when one of them searched their own name and came upon the other person; they are now wed. Same Name Facebook Couple to Wed - CBS News
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread